Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadelaidean

Debra and Daryl
Reaction score
Hi all a friend of mine gave me this Discriminator detector which I am very grateful for. I have tried it out in the back yard and it works but I am wondering if anyone has heard of this brand and how would you rate it....Thankyou for any replies....
1378182778_discriminator2082851657.jpg

Cheers Debra

I have a similar detector, probably from the same manufacturer by the looks of things. Has the same handle/ arm rest design with the same plastics and a similar coil. Even has the same font on the box and almost the same wording in the manual. Mines branded as a Maxkon Gc1010 though and is a digital display instead of the balance/ sensitivity knobs.
So far its been average, reasonable depth (about 8 inches) and good sensitivity to targets its yet to find me any valuables other than 3x 5cent pieces and a 3gram fishing sinker. On the other hand it locks straight onto stubby tops, nails and aluminium can tabs :|
Picks up the signal off gold and silver well, think I just need more practice with the settings yet. Not bad for the princely sum of $80 AUD. :eek:

Thankyou guys, Golddigg the manual will be very helpful saves me playing around with buttons forever lol Wonderer thankyou also for your comments, I think that I should try the detector out in a park asap. As I have never detected before this unit should be just fine for a biginner, it will probably take me quite awhile to get the settings right but it is a start and I am looking forward to enjoying fossicking......Cheers Debra

You would have better luck with that stud finder I reckon ;)
They might be an ok gift for a kid. But wouldnt buy one. Just my opinion :)
Greg

Those ones have been around for yonks. Even dick smith and tandy used to sell those. They are only for people who want to have a go at beach detecting and kids.

I've seen one in action and agree they might suit a kid down the park or dry beach, but just don't expect it to handle mineralised or "busy" ground as they're more of a toy detector than anything else.

You would actually have BETTER luck with the stud finder- i got one when i first got into prospecting, it is now my 2 year olds favourite toy lol

Purchased myself a cheap 2nd hand detector today for the beach, so I'm off this arvo (if this big storm passes)
Hope to find a coin or two...heck even a fishing hook will do me fine! ;)

We'll storm rolled thru, decent rain so not able to get out :mad:
tomorrow morning should be good, does wet ground effect the detection at all?
I'll only be in the parks and beaches.. Any advise would be great!

What detector do you have, might be able to help out if we know the capabilities of the machine. It can be quite good detectjng after rains, tends to make the ground a bit more conductive, so should help with depth.

makes it nice and soft to dig, just got to make sure that when you dig your plug( in parks) that you just dig a C shape and fold the grass back over, that way you don't cut all the roots off and the plug recovers a lot better from its trauma when you've filled your hole back in. Don't forget to take away everything that you dig up too (looks better for you when your fielding questions from the public, don't forget to show them the sharp rubbish that people could hurt themselves with)and make it look like you were never there.

Oh, and lightning storms increase the penetration depth on signals for about an hour after a storm rolls through. But, DO NOT SWING IN A THUNDER STORM, I might not be a bright spark but I do want to still be able to be swinging on my hundredth birthday.

Wow Slowflow, that is a full on vid, shows the energy involved really well.

So I went to Aldi to see if they had any of the adventuridge detectors left,as I suspected they were sold out, being on a limited budget i searched eBay and gumtree, actually found the same $99 Aldi detector for sale in Victoria for $250!! Found a cheap ace 250 looking copy and thought well it's $100 and my daughter is almost 7 and is fascinated with finding "treasure"! So I basically justified buying a cheapo one so I can scour the parks with her and have some father and daughter time, she even told me we had to go to bunnings to buy some plastic scoops to dig with, 1 for me and one for her!

If you would like to check it out its a "MD-3010 ii"
It will keep my and my daughter happy until I purchase a "proper" detector.

Found lots of bottle caps! A set of keys and also a 1971 2 cents?
Very happy with it but sounding a lot what I got closer to the wet sand....

If you can, turn your sensitivity down when you get lots of sounds near or on the wet sand (turn it down until it goes quiet when you lift it up and down a bit), see how that goes !

Latest posts