Makro Racer 2/Gold Racer wireless headphones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
This morning I received the Makro wireless headset and dongle from Nenad (plug, plug), should make detecting a much more pleasurable experience not being tethered to the detector, and the pricing is very reasonable.

Only had a chance to get them on charge at this stage, so will give some feedback on them a little later. Initial thoughts are that they are very comfortable to wear with good isolation from ambient noise. Unlike some other headsets, they are not too firm on the ears, nor are they in a hurry to slip off your head (hello UR-30's). ;)

1467973424_img_20160708_174549.jpg

Have to agree Goldpick, they are very comfortable and light, got mine yesterday and only tested 'em in the backyard. See if you can get the threshold volume low enough for comfort, my volume control seems very sensitive when trying to reduce the sound to an acceptable level, ie, the sound is either off or on too loud. Apart from that, they seem to be the goods.
Also mine paired with the control box as soon as I turned them on, too easy,
Cheers.

OzzieAu said:
Have to agree Goldpick, they are very comfortable and light, got mine yesterday and only tested 'em in the backyard. See if you can get the threshold volume low enough for comfort, my volume control seems very sensitive when trying to reduce the sound to an acceptable level, ie, the sound is either off or on too loud. Apart from that, they seem to be the goods.
Also mine paired with the control box as soon as I turned them on, too easy,
Cheers.

Agreed, I just PM'd Nenad regarding the volume control, the first quarter turn of the knob offers nothing but silence before eventually cutting at a reasonably acceptable level. The other 3/4 turn of the volume knob offers blow your ears off audio, and is quite unusable. It's almost like the racer volume control range is out of wack with the headset, or it needs the volume up to a certain level for the wireless headset to pick up the signal from the detector. Will see what Nenad has to say.

Other than that they seem to work very well, if there is any lag, it is not noticable and very easy to pair up. :)

Just read that reply on the UK Metal Detecting Forum, you beat me to it mbasko. Looks like I'll be getting them swapped out for new ones. :)

Likewise, a bit disappointing after eagerly awaiting these headphones.... :(
Also noted on the same forum that there have been reports of Gold Racers dying in the field overseas with electronics problems.
Anyone in Aus. had any issues?

OzzieAu said:
Likewise, a bit disappointing after eagerly awaiting these headphones.... :(
Also noted on the same forum that there have been reports of Gold Racers dying in the field overseas with electronics problems.
Anyone in Aus. had any issues?
None that I have heard about, but it is early days.

I wouldn't take that as gospel on the overall reliability of the Gold Racer, you will always hear about the lemon units on forums, but very little about the majority of reliable detectors currently in use.

There is one particular guy that is having trouble with his detector, and he has posted across several different foreign forums on his troubles.

I wonder if the failed coup in Turkey and the subsequent security crackdown will have an effect on the delivery of the headphones?
I might message Nenad and see how things are progressing.

Today I bought a bluetooth transmitter for my Nokta Fors Gold from Jaycar, hoping it would solve the tangled lead problem I am continually experiencing. I connected the transmitter to the headphone socket and paired it with my headphones, but when I tried it out, there is about a half second delay between the detection and the sound reaching my ears, thus making them almost useless. Has anyone tried this before and had success or similar problems? Is there an "off the shelf" solution for the Fors Gold? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :| :| :|

Bluetooth = delay

2.4ghz systems are a much better solution. Check out the Deteknix Wirefree WR kits I sell. Link in my signature. Cheers

My second pair of wireless headphones for the Racer 2 arrived today to replace the previous "all or nothing" volume on the initial headset. Pairing them up wasn't instantaneous as on the previous headset, requiring a few changes to the frequency to get them to pair up (the button with the white dot on the side of the earmuff). After pairing them up and testing the volume, I am happy to say that they now work as they should, with smooth graduated volume levels from minimum all the way through to max volume. Thanks for getting that sorted Nenad. :)

1473665395_img_20160912_170253.jpg

Hi,

I am thinking of getting myself a Macro Gold Racer and was just wondering if you are all still happy with yours? This will be my first detector so it will be a complete learning curve for me. Could anyone let me know a bit about it please? Ease of use for a complete beginner, how it will handle the area I will be detecting in, (from about the Clyde River, NSW to Bega), not sure how heavily mineralized the soil is, it would be great if someone has worked this area could let me know. Best coils to use, headphones ect.

I have been doing plenty of research and I have narrowed it down to the GR or the Fischer Gold bug Pro. Leaning towards the GR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, K.

i am happy with mine,have found gold with it.plenty of sensitivty etc so you can wind it down if needed in hot ground.not happy with the wireless headphones keep loosing contact probably just my machine though,I have been using it on the beach for relicks,it is not happy when the sand is soaked but that is not what it is made for.

Thanks for the reply lewy,

I probably won't be using it too much on the beach so that's no problem. It seems like a handy detector, I just hope it isn't too complicated for me. I guess it takes a bit of practice.

Good luck with the headphones, K.

Latest posts