Advice on stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of our family friends has land in Scarsdale and we were around there over the weekend to catch Yabbies with all the kids for Fathers Day, anyhoo I noticed on the edge of their dam there was a big chunk of quartz poking out of the ground which had been exposed from digging out their dam. The quartz was white with brown patches, but these stones had been brought up by the trees nearby. I've got permission and I'm going to have a poke around with my metal detectors, but is there more that could be done with the quartz and stones? I know nothing about it, but find it interesting and would like to learn. Pic of 3 random rocks I picked up, I noticed a large chunk of slate poking out at the base of one of the trees too. The soil is like red clay.

1473141976_img_0474.jpg

As AR said, get the dolly pot working.
The Scarsdale/Smythsdale region was a very productive gold producing area so if you have an opportunity to prospect on private property,
GO FOR IT !!!!!
Just saying, good luck :D
Cheers Steve

Thanks, I live in the area so have a few private permissions from neighbours and friends, it was just something Wall69 said the other day about panning and sluices, made me wonder if I wasn't making the most of them, especially this new place as the rocks look promising IMO. The detecting side I know about, but the panning/sluice etc is an arse from elbow job.

Looks like some nice mineralisation ColinD, definitely worth exploring the property for potential. :p

Might be worth doing a few test pans of the dirt caught up in the shale below the reefs to see if there is a bit of colour. If you follow the slopes down to a creek and find some gravel deposits or bedrock crevices I would test pan there as well.

Test panning is a quick and easy way to see if land has potential, even if you only find one spec, it means there is gold shedding from somewhere. :rolleyes: then the fun starts

Enjoy :cool:

I'll bash up some rock and see what happens, will update too, hate when someone asks a question like this then disappears. If nothing else I'll get big arms, the Clash song "I fought the Law" is playing in my head... "breaking rocks in the hot sun..." we must be mental when you think about it.

Slate with a Quartz intrusion with stains like that. ?
And in a locality of Gold Bearing Country. ?
I would be getting a bit excited about it. LOL
Please keep us updated as we love to see things like this and
I would say you would never be left alone with the questions Cobber. :D
Good Luck.

Crushed and panned the slate looking one and the rock with the black oxy showing, no gold in the pan.
Think I'll just go back and hit the place with detectors.