Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're searching for gold, leave it off and go all-metal mode. I only use it if I'm coin & relic detecting in the park and want to filter out the junk.

Cheers,

AU

Empty Pockets said:
I haven't used the discrimination mode on my Eureka Gold as I've had good success without using it.

Empty

Does that mean you're finding gold?

AU Fever said:
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here. A while ago I decided to sell my EG, but after a few unrealistic offers, lack of interest and in light of the recent price drop I've decided to hang on to it.

I also decided to finally bite the bullet and buy the Coiltek 6" Goldseeker and Coiltek 15" WOT Goldseeker coils. So now I have a good VLF that I can use in most areas an most conditions.

Just waiting for the hip mount bag to arrive and then to go and dig some holes. Hopefully some holes with gold in the bottom of them ;)

Cheers,

AU

Any reports so far on the new coils with the Eureka?

Empty Pockets said:
AU Fever said:
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here. A while ago I decided to sell my EG, but after a few unrealistic offers, lack of interest and in light of the recent price drop I've decided to hang on to it.

I also decided to finally bite the bullet and buy the Coiltek 6" Goldseeker and Coiltek 15" WOT Goldseeker coils. So now I have a good VLF that I can use in most areas an most conditions.

Just waiting for the hip mount bag to arrive and then to go and dig some holes. Hopefully some holes with gold in the bottom of them ;)

Cheers,

AU

Any reports so far on the new coils with the Eureka?

No, haven't been out yet. Unfortunately too busy with family life :)

mbasko said:
They are still part of the current Minelab gold detector line up.
http://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/gold-detectors
Like the MXT probably due for an overhaul though John ;)

Amen to that, I want it to have manual GB and then I would be happy, But there again I like being able you use Auto track, So maybe that's a good reason to buy the Eureka Gold,

I have always wanted one but my dealer was a bit rude about them and talked me in to a Sovereign GT, Great machine but the Eureka would have been better because it uses single frequencies, In my time of metal detecting I have 2 regrets ONE trading my musketeer ADV in on the GT and TWO not buying the Eureka Gold,

PS, sorry about the late reply,.

Thanks, John.

Thanks to all who have had input to this thread as I have just order a Eureka gold with extra 15"coil and head set and reading a few bad reports I was concerned I had picked to wrong one but it is with great relief I found and read this thread So thanks again to all

Congrats, Nice machine,

All you have to remember is if the ground is too hot or if it chatters a lot switch to a lower frequency and see if that helps and OR lower the Gain a touch at a time, There is good and bad in every machine and most that do complain blame the machine, But the Eureka Gold is a Classic and a Great piece of Engineering, and there are loads of people here who really know how to get the best out of them, So help is at hand,

Good Luck,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Congrats, Nice machine,

All you have to remember is if the ground is too hot or if it chatters a lot switch to a lower frequency and see if that helps and OR lower the Gain a touch at a time, There is good and bad in every machines and most that do complain blame the machine, But the Eureka Gold is a Classic and a Great piece of Engineering, and there are loads of people here who really know how to get the best out of them, So help is at hand,

Good Luck,

John.

Thanks again :)

roy cobb said:
Thanks to all who have had input to this thread as I have just order a Eureka gold with extra 15"coil and head set and reading a few bad reports I was concerned I had picked to wrong one but it is with great relief I found and read this thread So thanks again to all

I love my Eureka Gold detector. It is a great detector. The downside that I've gathered by many reports is that it is an ok unit and not the best at finding gold due to the fact it can pick up mineralised ground noises with it.
By my sixth session out in the field I was able to pick up the difference between mineralised ground and a real target. It's all about using your ears the way you read a book. We all stumbled through big words like cat, dog, seat etc when we first started reading. It's the same with metal detecting, once you hear the words and remember how they sound you won't forget them. Listening is a learnt skill and if you are not a good listener then you will have problems using a metal detector.
By the way, I regularly find targets at 20-25 cm deep as attested by one of my yoo Toob videos.
:) EUREKA! :)

roy cobb said:

Welcome to the Eureka Gold club roy! :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Looking forward to seeing some of your finds 8)

I finally had a spare hour to take the 15" Goldseeker WOT for a test drive at the local park. This wasn't a serious digging session, just a bit of a shake out.

Well, it had no problems picking up small amounts of junk like tin foil etc. The only real problem I had was I found it really difficult to pin-point the target, which basically meant I had a hole twice the size of what's normally required. Given the size of this coil, I shouldn't really be surprised though.

I may have to invest in a pin-pointer before I do some more serious detecting with it.

Well I picked up my first metal detector on the way home yesterday and put it together now to read the instructions as the battery charges looking forward to getting out there also got a pin pointer head phones and waiting on a 15"coil to arrive And I have my fist job looking for a wedding ring. Have read some bad and good reports on this detector so I'm looking forward learning how to use this one to its best :p

Excellent to see the EG has produced gold ! Well done Bob .

Im more than happy with mine , owned for just under a year now and mainly been using on the dry sand at the beach waiting to get time off work and swing over some gold ground . Have trip planned for late September and have a handful of areas in my gps .

Au fever has provided some excellent info at the start of this post and needs to been read thoroughly so people can get the most out of this machine.

I haven't seen much posted on the discrimination mode so heres my 2cents ...mainly use my EG on the local beach which is heavily frequented by backpackers and tourists watching the sunset ( cable beach broome ) some of which have the odd sun downer and forget to but there bottle tops in the bin as they leave :(
After wasting countless hours digging tops i started playing with the discrimination mode , ive found the best results in 20/6.4 ( 60 is way to sensitive / shallow ) stable threshold, sensitivity as high as possible ( "dry " beach sand can be noisey if wet with dwe in the early morning) volume to comfortable level - headphones are a must , discrimination 3/4-full , GB fast tack - pump up and down really get a hook on the ground then flick to fixed . if you discriminate in fast or slow track the target will be discriminated for the first 1/2 swings then the Auto GB will accept this target as normal and give a fulse traget signal and you will end up digging somthing you would more than likely want to discriminate.
I find for the effort of re-ground balancing in fast track than flicking back to fixed every so offend it is more time efficient than digging bottle tops all morning.
I still pull tops up every now and then but but these are the signals that to me sound to interesting to leave- 90% of the time the is a clear cut or drop out in the threshold and im happy / confident to leave these .
The EG isnt a beach machine and is to noisey near the surf or anywhere the salt water has washed but dry sand it works a treat !
Just like hunting for gold you take the good with the bad , ive left the beach with almost $20 in coins one weekend the next .... 20 Bottle tops .

Just researching for my next detector and im leaning towards the Eureka Gold. Quick question though

Reading the sellers description on their website it says

"Eureka Gold
Take the guesswork out of detecting
The Eureka Gold gives you 6.4kHz for maximum depth, 20kHz for general detecting and the super sensitive 60kHz to find the smallest gold nuggets that others are missing."

Edit* i was asking if they had a switch to change frequencies but i just found out they do.

So next question is, has anyone tried one for coins and relics in the lower 6.4khz setting?