Old salt taking up a new hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Chris. My main love is fishing and boating, but I've always wanted to get in to metal detecting. I live north of brissy but travel a little bit.
Next month we are off to Ballarat for a couple of days so it seems like an opportune time to get a detector.
Hoping to get something suitable for there, but also taking to moreton island, beaches or generally seq region.
Don't want to waste money on a toy, but don't really know what sort of dollars I should spend or brands and models.
Here to learn and possibly purchase a second hand machine from someone upgrading.

For a $1000 u can get a X-terra 705 that I use for a back up detector that would be good to learn on .But if u want and can afford it get a STC2300 cos unless u go remote a good chance there is not too many big ones left and the 2300 will find the smaller pieces . If looking for treasure try and pick up an old sovereign gt off the net for about $400

Aggro said:
Hi all. I'm Chris. My main love is fishing and boating, but I've always wanted to get in to metal detecting. I live north of brissy but travel a little bit.
Next month we are off to Ballarat for a couple of days so it seems like an opportune time to get a detector.
Hoping to get something suitable for there, but also taking to moreton island, beaches or generally seq region.
Don't want to waste money on a toy, but don't really know what sort of dollars I should spend or brands and models.
Here to learn and possibly purchase a second hand machine from someone upgrading.
I live in the Noosa area maybe close to u . There was a 705 going for about $600 in the area last week if u interested

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm researching those models now.
Keep the suggestions coming.....?

My penultimate post before I can make a wanted ad. I hope you are as thrilled as I am. :lol:

DeathKiss said:
this post it`s a bit awkward .....
could`ve comment on other posts and come up with real answers..... meh .... my thoughts ...
Your thoughts are appreciated, however I have no real answers. That's why I'm here. :)

davidwrunner2 said:
Pained expression on daughter/partners face........enuff said
LOL, yes that's my daughter saying "You made me go out and be sociable with the family and NOW you want a photo! What the hell!"

Aggro said:
DeathKiss said:
this post it`s a bit awkward .....
could`ve comment on other posts and come up with real answers..... meh .... my thoughts ...
Your thoughts are appreciated, however I have no real answers. That's why I'm here. :)

plenty of non related prospecting posts ...just saying :)

Welcome on board , when are you leaving LOL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts