Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
Worst snake with the biggest fangs is a Death Adder. :)
Biggest mongrel of a snake we got.
Hate to say this but very few gaiters will stop them.
Noosa council supplies Snake Protect to all thier enployees and recons they will protec u from all snakes .But on the label inside the gator it says --Designed to help protect the wearer from snake bites . they dont seem as confident , but as I said they saved me from a bite from a large eastern brown .

yobskin said:
I remember a fella shiteing his pants when one swam past him....he didnt know they swam...bahahaha :)
Yes I remember that. bahah

Always wear mine in the warmer months ..... Snack Protx
http://snakeprotex.com.au

We spend heaps on Detectors, coils etc, a few more dollars for some peace of mind ...... and remember sometimes you won't even know you've been bitten.
A bite can feel like nothing more than a scratch from a branch.

Snake Protea are provided by most councils/authorities etc to their staff that work in the field.
Available from safety supply shops (E E Day in Ballarat stocks them if you're in Vic.)

Stay Safe,
Tom

Kevlar is great for abrasion and impact force spreading.

But to be good against fangs it would have to have an extremely tight weave.
And several layers.
Can you stick a sewing needle through them?
And if you can stick a needle through into your leg.... Would you trust them to stop a snake bite?

I think the main thing with gaiters is they provide another layer of loose clothing as when a snake has a go at you it will bite on the first bit of resitance and if that's not your skin you should be ok. No informed knowledge hear but just what I've grown up being led to believe

goldrat said:
Can any member confirm that the 7000 current coil will pick up the metal on the snake gaiter zips . Or is it possibly going to be on the new larger coil .

Cheers
goldrat
My snake protec gaiters have plastic zips .No interference at all

One must be careful with nylon zippers.
Most of them still have a metal slider.

These boots for example are advertised as metal free.
When they arrived I put the pro find on them and they went off like a german band.

It made not much difference to me as my left leg is full of metal.
Very comfortable boots tho,

1472616348_capture.jpg

goldrat said:
I emailed Arborgreen and they confirmed Snake Protex gaiters zips are metal . Have I read somewhere that the GPZ picks up the metal eyelets on boots .

Don't really care one way or another what people use/don't use BUT ... Snake Protex zipper is a type of plastic NOT metal .... the slider thingo (to do the zipper up) IS metal but have never had a problem with any interference while wearing them.
Cheers T.

I use the moroka 30 snakebusters for hunting I've had them 4 years now. Definitely tough and durable. I wear them every weekend either chasing deer or foxes, have saved me a couple of times in the high Country. I even had a staghound latch onto my leg when wearing them this year when it was caught on a barb wire fence had alot of bruising but they stopped the teeth going into my leg. Without them I would have been a terrible mess. the owner Rob also has a video of them testing them out on his arm with a death adder http://www moroka30 com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66
( had to remove a few of the . From the link as it wouldn't let me post the link)

Cheers Pat

I have tried many snake gaiters over the years detecting in the tablelands and spinni in WA.
DD gaiters are the best by far I have used. They have no metal and are light and tough and stiff. They stop spinifex spines and do give you a strong sense of being protected when bashing through blackberries etc. Although I have not had them tested in the field by a snake I am confident the thickness and tight weave of the canvas will stop snake bites.

They fasten with big Velcro tabs so they are off or on in seconds and the Velcro can not fail like zips.

The really heavy duty snake gaiter brands with Kevlar inserts etc get way to hot in summer and the flaps over the boot tops seem to rip and tatter over time

What I like best about DD gaiters is they sit and seal well on your boots and you can wear them very loosely so they breathe and you don't get hot. (gaiters should be worn loose rather then tight to better protect from snake strikes).
RDD

PS I recommend them because I really like them after trying different gaiter types, no other reason

well after that review RedDirtDigger i think i am going to get the DD ones, they seemed good just from reading about them but actual feed back on them is helpful so cheers for that mate
cheers
Jamie