Slaty/Cotty Creek Creswick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Heatho,
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. :)
After reading your post I researched quartz and I think you are right. ;)

I knew quartz was white and I knew there was rose quartz but it also lists Crystal Quartz???!!!!!

I had no idea quartz could be crystal clear!! :eek:
So there you have it!!
Crystal Quartz it is :D

Opps forgot to add..... :rolleyes:

To all!!!

In my earlier post there is a pic with 2 rocks with gold on them, I have crushed those rocks!!!
And the result was...... :eek:
The larger rock had the 1 piece of gold on top of it and 3 mini fly poo sized specks. :)
The smaller rock had the 1 piece of gold on the outside and the rock crumbled apart and exposed 2 more pieces inside!! :D
I have added them to my vial of gold I posted earlier but I haven't yet taken an updated pic of the vial, so as soon as I do I will add the pic for you to see.

I was offered a piece of Crystal quartz not long ago for $10.00.
It was 6 inches long by about 2 inches round.
It came from the crystal mine in Queensland and it was clearer
than glass with a slight blue tinge to it.
They used to use it in optics it was that clear. Comes to mind
in Submarine periscopes especially the Germans as that was where
it all nearly went.

madhatter said:
Hey Heatho,
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. :)
After reading your post I researched quartz and I think you are right. ;)

I knew quartz was white and I knew there was rose quartz but it also lists Crystal Quartz???!!!!!

I had no idea quartz could be crystal clear!! :eek:
So there you have it!!
Crystal Quartz it is :D

Gday all, :)

Just wondering if anybody has any idea when slaty creek would be subsiding?? :rolleyes:

I am keen to get back up there A.S.A.P!!! :lol:

Would it take 2,3 or 4 weeks to be at optimal level to highbank and access the deeper areas??

If anyone has local knowledge to roughly give me an idea I would really appreciate it!!

I will post in Meet-up section when I am planning on going, feel free to join me ;)

I was there Friday & Saturday, its dropped but still flowing a fair bit & there's meant to be some more good rains coming so levels will probably rise again. At the moment there is easy access at camp 2 & 3, water is flowing over fords & the ford at camp 1 has been washed out so not crossable.
Hard to say how long it will run high as it depends on rain.

Thanks for the update ozziii!!! :)
Much appreciated mate. ;)

I am keen as mustard to get back there since the last down pour. :D
I was there 2 weeks ago and the creek was high then and had strong current still , I'm guessing since the last few days were wet there again, it probably is still high water and strong currents. :(
If anybody has an update I would really appreciate it. :8 :D

I am heading up there as soon as the school holidays are over :eek: :p

Hi guys, good read, I'm from Frankston and go to creswick every chance I get, I'm going up and camping late October for the first time, will have a river sluice and pans with me. Any advice on the area and camping would be appreciated. I'll be taking my partner and 2 young kids, both under 5, cheers guys??

Camp ground 1 has toilets but the water crossing was washed away, think you can still get in there from both sides so you would need to check which tracks etc.
Camp 2 & 3 have no toilets & the water crossings should be easily passable I would think.
Tracks I've been on are a little rough in spots but nothing major, just some potholes & small ruts from the rain.

Hi Madhatter - You might need to cool your heels for a while it is absolutely hissing down in the area at the moment. I had a look at Misery Creek on the weekend and it was flowing fast. This rain will only add to that and therefore Slatey Creek would be difficult to access. Spring has sprung.

Pig Iron said:
Hi Madhatter - You might need to cool your heels for a while it is absolutely hissing down in the area at the moment. I had a look at Misery Creek on the weekend and it was flowing fast. This rain will only add to that and therefore Slatey Creek would be difficult to access. Spring has sprung.

Thanks Pig Iron :)
Havent seen any colour in my pan now for 2 weeks!! :eek:
This is a love hate relationship I have with this game we play :D
Love the replenishing of gold in the creeks but.... Hate WAITING!!! :mad:

Hopefully I can cool my heels for another 2 weeks!!
but that's about it! :D

Anyone else who has an update feel free to share ;)

Noah13 said:
Hi guys, good read, I'm from Frankston and go to creswick every chance I get, I'm going up and camping late October for the first time, will have a river sluice and pans with me. Any advice on the area and camping would be appreciated. I'll be taking my partner and 2 young kids, both under 5, cheers guys??

Gday Noah13 :)
Like you I live in Frankston and love to get to Creswick as much as possible. :D

With your question,
I agree with the others, campground 1 has a longdrop and is easy to get to but... :rolleyes:
from my experience there campground 3 is where you want to prospect around. ;)
I have never camped there though. :(

Hi guys, :)
Has anybody been to slaty creek recently?

I am thinking I will head up on the 15th of October or earlier :D (if I cant wait)
I would love an update........... ;) if anybody is local :8

Maybe ring the local parks guys, they are the ones that look at the creeks and put up the road closed signs when they think it's needed.

I'll be heading up on the 20th of October for a few days madhatter, so let me know how ya go :)

Will do Noah13
I will post pics after I get back. ;) :)

Also Occasional Panner, Will do tomorrow :D , great minds think alike ;)
I was going to call earlier but......... with this daylight savings my body clock is still out :eek: and it was already 5:15pm!! :(

Hah you'de be lucky if the lazy buggers answer at all... too busy on facebook or getting pissed out the back while doing a BBQ at taxpayers expense.

Can you please let us know how you go on calling parks Madhatter? I'm also planning on heading up to creswick / slatey Creek the same weekend if I can pull my finger out and finish my walbanker.

Cheers Pat

Hey madhatter, im planning on taking the trommel out there this weekend if i can get a lick of paint on the trailer. So i could post some pics of whats happening out there!

Latest posts