Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let gaitors give you a false sense of security though, I'd be just as vigilant and stay out of snakey looking areas. Saw a big Red Belly the other day heading back to a rocky outcrop we worked the previous day, it was on a dirt road and took off when I pulled up next too it for a look, was pretty timid.

Jin said:
Glad I made the decision to get some gators as of late I've been a bit paranoid about detecting. The other day I wanted to get to a couple of old mine shafts half way down a gully but the grass was about 3 feet long and I had to step over 2 or 3 fallen trees. All the time thinking I bet there's a tiger here somewhere. At least now with gators and some thick leather boots it should make detecting over grown areas a little less stressful. I think some areas where visability is limited foot and leg protection is important.

Hey Jin, First rule in the bush, don't step over a fallen tree\log, look over or step on to and look down first, specially if your coming from the shady side :)

Beagleboy said:
AtomRat said:
Colmaca said:
Just stomp them with your thongs :)
You leave my clogs out of it

*shakes fist* :lol:
I hope your crocks are snake proof Atomrat. Hahaha
My family and mates are only used to me wearing footwear for the past two years! Before that I went barefoot everywhere! Native style :cool:

My concerns of snakes are there mate and the blundstones and gumboots get a good workout nowdays on bush walks. Avoiding dense areas during summer and hot seasons is my best option for safety of snakes and keeping to open areas. Always wear my boots in goldfields..creeks not soo much.

Will be good to catch up again, sorry I couldn't make it to creswick :(

Davent - ill take you on a snake tour! :D

Had a mate that actually stood on a brown snake after stepping over a log not far from where i detect. Lucky he stood on it just behind its head and pinned it to the ground. He tossed his fishing gear behind him then quickly jumped back. He told me as he jumped out of the way he heard the snake strike the log. Since then i take a good look at anything that might be cover for snakes.

Unfortunately most of the scrub around gippsland is thick so it's either protect yourself or stay home and watch youtube videos of others detecting. Got my foot and leg protection, snake first aid kit and getting personal locator beacon also. I don't think gators will make me less aware of snakes however it will be a bit more insurance incase i stand on one.

The other thing that creeps me out is abandoned holes. Lots of wombat holes and holes in the side of trees. I usually don't get too close to these, half expecting a snake to come out. Add a small patch of water nearby and the snake alert is in full motion. I guess there are dangerous creatures everywhere ( Sharks, Crocs, Snakes, Drop bears :eek: ) and its just a matter of taking your time to be aware of your surroundings and have adequate protection to lessen the risk.

Edit: Seen a few snakes sunning themselves on the tracks and temp was about 14 - 16 deg. Always thought snakes hibernated. Read somewhere they don't. Can be around all year around. Only slow as buggery until it warms right up

After trying different gaiters over the years and listening to friends reports on their gaiters I have come to like the "Double D Leather"- canvas gaiters. They have no metal and are stiff and sit up well on your boots so they can be worn loose. Wearing them loosely is important for snake bite protection (never wear your gaiters with a tight fit). They breath well stopping your legs from overheating (a problem with the snake guardz type gaiters)

https://doubledleather.com.au/product/16oz-heavy-duty-canvas-gaiters/
I know it is common knowledge....but just in case...always carry two of the 5 inch wide elasticated bandages in case of snake/spider bite. You need two to completely wrap a leg.(learn't this from treating sons funnel web bite). Get the stretchy bandages with the squares printed on them, so that the squares stretch into perfect squares when you have the tensioning on the bandage correct. I packed my bandages in vacuum sealed food bags in my backpack, so they stay clean and don't ever unravel. As always with first aid, don't trust me and check out st Johns for the latest info on snake bite first aid.

cheers RDD

RedDirtDigger said:
After trying different gaiters over the years and listening to friends reports on their gaiters I have come to like the "Double D Leather"- canvas gaiters. They have no metal and are stiff and sit up well on your boots so they can be worn loose. Wearing them loosely is important for snake bite protection (never wear your gaiters with a tight fit). They breath well stopping your legs from overheating (a problem with the snake guardz type gaiters)

http://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=78

I know it is common knowledge....but just in case...always carry two of the 5 inch wide elasticated bandages in case of snake/spider bite. You need two to completely wrap a leg.(learn't this from treating sons funnel web bite). Get the stretchy bandages with the squares printed on them, so that the squares stretch into perfect squares when you have the tensioning on the bandage correct. I packed my bandages in vacuum sealed food bags in my backpack, so they stay clean and don't ever unravel. As always with first aid, don't trust me and check out st Johns for the latest info on snake bite first aid.

cheers RDD
Good no-nonsense advice on gaiters and bandages RDD.

By no means am I saying we're a bunch of wimps as adults or am I?.......Lol,

But isn't it funny that as kids most of us roamed the scrub, swam in creeks, dams and rivers, built cubby's, went ferreting etc etc etc
Never did we give a thought for a snake or spider.....

I think the older we get the bigger wimps we become. Lol

Gold trooper said:
By no means am I saying we're a bunch of wimps as adults or am I?.......Lol,

But isn't it funny that as kids most of us roamed the scrub, swam in creeks, dams and rivers, built cubby's, went ferreting etc etc etc
Never did we give a thought for a snake or spider.....

I think the older we get the bigger wimps we become. Lol
Yeah, you could be right there Gold trooper, problem is when these things come up on forums etc you seem to get the 'no footwear-pick em up and cuddle them, never been bitten brigade' coming out on one side and the 'fear them to death-don't go out brigade' on the other side saying their piece. All this is fine and i'm just as guilty as the next i suppose, but common sense seems to go out the window when we talk about snake, spiders and crocs in Australia.
I suppose if we do go out in the scrub where these things frequent we just need to be aware of the 'possible' dangers and take sensible precautions to avoid being bitten (or eaten) by wearing appropriate protection, not being stupid where we venture, and carrying and knowing how to use the appropriate first aid.
I know when i was growing up my old man and mum had know idea about snakes etc because they weren't bush people. Today, parents, unless they've grown up on the land, seem to be frightened of all things and pass that fear and ignorance onto their children and in turn their children's children.

Was just reading about a 20 year old from Orbost in Victoria who died last November after being bitten on the upper arm by a tiger snake. Seems it was an aggressive bugger and bite him more than once then had a go at his two work mates as well. Went to the local hospital then was flown to Melbourne where he was given anti venom but sadly passed away 2 days later. He was also a dear hunter and 4x4 enthusiest so probably spent many hours in rugged bush, so I presume he had some understanding about the dangers out there. Unfortunately he was just reaching down to pick something up when bitten. I guess gators aren't going to help you in that situation. I think it would be wise to take reasonable precautions like good boots and gators as 80% of bites accur below the knee. The thing I was surprised about was that he was given anti venom in Melbourne. Don't any of the larger regional hospitals have anti venom? Would of thought chances of being bitten would be greater in rural areas.

Jin said:
Was just reading about a 20 year old from Orbost in Victoria who died last November after being bitten on the upper arm by a tiger snake. Seems it was an aggressive bugger and bite him more than once then had a go at his two work mates as well. Went to the local hospital then was flown to Melbourne where he was given anti venom but sadly passed away 2 days later. He was also a dear hunter and 4x4 enthusiest so probably spent many hours in rugged bush, so I presume he had some understanding about the dangers out there. Unfortunately he was just reaching down to pick something up when bitten. I guess gators aren't going to help you in that situation. I think it would be wise to take reasonable precautions like good boots and gators as 80% of bites accur below the knee. The thing I was surprised about was that he was given anti venom in Melbourne. Don't any of the larger regional hospitals have anti venom? Would of thought chances of being bitten would be greater in rural areas.

Some discussion here = http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17915&start=90
Apparently anti venom was administered at Bairnsdale, prior to moving him to Melbourne

Im not quite sure that the Chineese mosquito rating will stand up to our local 'Hexam Greys' let alone our snakes :lol:
(For those that dont know ... The Hexam Grey is a Newcastle indigenous mosquito about the same size as a sparrow)

Last night at the Ballarat PMAV meeting we were shown a pair of snake proof gators, most are not snake proof, but these new Moroka 30 Gators were, they have several layers & if fangs did happen to get through then the centre layer prevents poison going through, not sure how exactly but they looks pretty good. They cost $190, but if they save your life then they are worth it. Australian made too.
https://www.moroka30.com.au/clothing/gaiters/

AtomRat said:
Fail on noise. I've had several encounters as I bash through dense bush hitting shrubs and trees with my shovel. They still sit and bathe in the sun as your a mere foot away. Don't be fooled by this myth please

Good advice, even a screaming chainsaw sometimes won't make them move.
I've been whacked on the legs and feet so many times by snakes while working I've lost count.
Heavy boots and chainsaw chaps have saved me so far though, we did have a guy get bitten by a brown and nearly died on us.

Wear these, great peace of mind especially when detecting alone but also have 2 compression bandages in the backpack, make sure you get the ones with 'indicators to make sure the tension is correct.
Always better to be safe than sorry, it's the bugger you don't see that will do the damage.
Cheers T.
https://snakeprotex.com/

Agree, Teemore I also wear the SnakeProtex as they have been stringently been tested against snake bite, I know they are not as cheap $113 @ TWW compared to others but they are built and tested for a purpose. After all most of us detect alone and what price can you put on ones life. Also gives the misses piece of mind that I stand a better chance of not being bitten when out in the bush.

1445385793_optimized-img_20151021_105336.jpg

Sandta said:
Im not quite sure that the Chineese mosquito rating will stand up to our local 'Hexam Greys' let alone our snakes :lol:
(For those that dont know ... The Hexam Grey is a Newcastle indigenous mosquito about the same size as a sparrow)

Hey silver, correct me if I'm wrong but its about the same size as the one sitting on the roof of the bowlo at Hexam isn't it? :D

With snake season staring again I am seeking advice on what brand of snake gaiters I should get and wear for detecting. I am in Queensland where we have all manner of snakes and commonly have Taipans where we fossick at Deep Creek in Gympie.

Anyway...recommendations on best quality snake gaiters would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance
Mike B :)

Latest posts