Gold Rush TV Series information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
It's all a bit hard to compare. Our Leschke shovels and their huge CATS. No wonder there is a big discrepancy with our nuggets and their rocks. :p
Yeah not much to compare hey Jaros. But in a perfect world it would be nice to find those nuggets buried only a few inches down in a nice little pocket altogether. Shhhhh. Don't wake me up. ;)

Well season 6 looks like it is season 5 it seems a bit mixed up on youtube or are you guys talking about season 6?

Someone plz explain. When these guys on "Gold Rush" put all the rubble over their machines and spray it with high pressure jets of water. Would they not be missing rocks with embedded gold ? Shouldn't they be collecting those rocks and then putting them through a stamper and then running it over matting ? I'm not really up there with this type of prospecting so plz enlighten me.

Edit spelling

Of the few big machinery alluvial miners I know, none of them do so, but they do know specimens are left in their tailings. Mostly it is not viable for them to process such, ah ha but for us it is different. Those tailings are well worth detecting, but you`ve gotta contend with both the metal from the old timers and that from todays miners eg.bloody metal caps off grease cartridges etc etc. Tis there for sure.

It looks to me like they are completely inefficient, and why does not one member use a gold detector for big nuggets in the bedrock?

Having been there and witnessed the amount of mining that has gone on in the past (150 yrs of mining activity/history) most of their gold seems to be in old river washes buried 100's of years ago .... the most efficient way of extracting that is, as seem on the Gold Rush shows, by removing the top soil layers to get down to the wash layers, then using the best available sluicing methods to extract it. Their gold is mostly finer alluvial gold .... not the large nuggets we dream of here.

Tony Beets does it with restored dredges .... much cheaper per ounce recovered and more efficient

Gold is panned from the rivers and creeks (have done that myself with some success) but not in amounts to warrant a professional operation.
Sluicing/panning is by far the most popular method, I assume because it's the most effective.
That being said there have been (very) limited finds of larger nuggets in old dredge tailings .... strangely probably because they were too large to be trapped in their sluices.

I'm sure that a detector would find gold amongst their diggings but again not the most efficient way of mining for them and, most of the areas are covered by leases. Detectors are used in the 'lower' states, Arizona/California etc etc ..... Garrett are a US detector maker and they are widely used over there (because they don't know any better).

The photos show the extent of their dreading, most of these were done pre 1940 .... certainly scares the landscape, there's mile upon mile of that type of scenery .... not pretty but pretty amazing.

Cheers Tom

1503040884_img_0721.jpg

1503040884_img_0722.jpg

1503040884_img_0723.jpg

I visited a gold mine museum in Alaska and was shown a large nugget embedded in a rock, the lady said it was quite a big one for Alaska. It would be hard to estimate the weight but it was about the size of a large grain of sand. I think you may be wasting your time with a detector in that area.

Just like in OZ, Alaska has fine gold areas and Large Nugget Areas, Gains Creek has Large Gold and fairly mild ground and Moore Creek has some good nuggets too yet the ground is a fair bit hotter.

12.2 ozt Nugget found at Gains Creek Alaska.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/find/mxt-finds-12-2-ounce-nugget/

This 10.64ozt Nugget was found at about 18 to 20" inches deep using an MXT and a 9 and a half inch Coil at Gains Creek. Alaska.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/find/mxt-is-a-gold-magnet/

John.

Teemore said:
Ridge Runner said:

1 in 2008 and 1 in 2011 ....long time between drinks for a bit of Whites advertising but shows they do find nuggets in Yukon/Alaska.

Cheers Tom

People are still finding Gold with them now, I would put one of them up against any other VLF on the market looking for Gold, Most Alaskans use Whites, In fact when the GMT and the MXT's came out they started a new Gold Rush in Alaska and Dealers could not supply them fast enough and they were always on back order.

In a lot of places in Alaska you don't need a PI or a dredge.

Latest posts