Coils for Whites TDI Pro Oz Series

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries - found a while ago when, not for the first time, I was seriously considering a TDI.
The 14" round Miner John/Razorback could be the best bet for the TDI? Designed for them & would still get reasonable depth.

Appreciate the links mbasko!! Can you dumb down for me how the razorback coils designs differ from others and have an advantage over say a NF 14" or the new coiltec 14" that seems to be gaining quite the praise. I know I've read on this forum something that is different but didnt understand what it meant.

Put simply the Miner John/Razorback coils for the TDI are made to TDI specs. Minelab, Coiltek, Nugget Finder coils are made to Minelab specs. The TDI being more forgiving with different coils will run most Minelab, Coiltek & Nugget Finder coils to some degree of success. Not all will run well. It's a case of try before buying with them or getting some trusted info off someone using a particular brand/size.
Minelab detectors, not being as forgiving as the TDI, will not run the Miner John/Razorback coils that are made specifically for the TDI. It doesn't work in reverse highlighting their difference. Miner John/Razorback do make some Minelab specific coils though.

Reg's explanation of the folded mono:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?73,2051175,2051175

The new Coiltek & Nugget Finder coils seem to have been designed to now also be more sensitive but haven't heard anything about them being used on the TDI range as yet. Maybe get some demo's & try them out on the TDI?

Coil selection guide (Minelab):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1438641689_kba_02-1_coil_selection_guide-1.pdf
Although Minelab the above guide does explain coil selection fairly well. Towards the bottom there is a brief description of different coil design including mono coils. This may help you understand the folded mono design Reg describes better?

Forgive the ignorance but having read the links and more it just seems the same thing being said about the razorback coils, but in reading one could interpret that the razorback coils are built to a cheaper standard and the tdi being more forgiving will run them satisfactorily but the higher spec of the minelabs demands a better product. For example on something I know what I'm talking about, you have a fishing reel, a mid range reel in the size you'd say use for snapper say a 3-4000 shimano sustain, and compare that with a Jarvis walker overhead game outfit designed for big game fishing... If I had a choice to use either on the tuna I'd be using the snapper outfit every day of the week, even though the Jarvis walker outfit is designed for the purpose. So the angle I'm getting at is- is there grounds to support that the razorback coils are an equal comparison to its competitors? Or should I be looking at say a nugget finder coil because the tech involved in the build is superior, hence the compatibility with the less forgiving nature of the minelabs. Would that not say I'm getting the better quality product by running a nugget finder coil on the more forgiving tdi? A poorer product designed for a specific purpose may not always be the best choice for most successful outcome.

Or am I way off course in my logic?

Now Miner John own & make the Razorback coils I don't think quality is an issue with them at all. When I say made to the specific machine specs it's not to say that one set of specs is better than the other they are just different & Minelab machines do not like operating outside of them whereas the TDI can be more forgiving.
I don't really think the "tech" behind coils is superior from one company to the next. Coils are a fairly simple thing by design. What differs is wire used, types/style of windings & build quality. There are quite a few people using the Miner John/Razorback coils with good results & no complaints, although early Razorback coils before being taken over by Miner John seem to have had some issues?
Personally if it were me I would be getting the coils specifically designed for the TDI but the Sadie is known to work well with the TDI so it is an option to look at.
I think you probably need to trial some coils & make your own decision.
Zuke_Lynzy would have been the bloke to talk to but he seems to have departed the forum?

Have a PM Nuggeteer 12x4" mono with a sticker indicating it's made for a Whites TDI series, a lovely little coil that work well on both TDI Pro and SPP.
The SPP had a replacement board upgrade by Goldsearch Australia some time ago, (some info in that regard elswhere on this forum) with the new board in the SPP the PM coil would no longer work.
Checking the wireing in the PM coil plug it was found to be wired for Minelab PI detectors, indicating the sticker on the coil was misleading as the coil was actually made for Minelab but could be used on Whites.
This PM coil plug was rewired to the same way Whites coils are wired and is now working fine on both SPP and TDI Pro but it will no longer work on a Minelab PI unit.
A Razorback 10x5" F8 mono is my most sensitive coil for both TDI Pro and SPP, for larger deep targets the Razorback 19" mono is good but weighty and therefore not the most used, my favourite of the larger but manageable coils with both sensitivity and depth is the Razorback 14" round DD.
I've tried the Minelab 10x5" DD coil, the Coiltek 12x8"DD platypus, Coiltek 10x5"DD Joey, Coiltek 6" Orange mono, Nuggetfinder 8x6" Elliptical mono, all worked well on the TDI and SPP an exception was the Coiltek 6" mono, it did not create any excitement.
None of them proved to be any better or more sensitive when used on a TDI or SPP than the Razorback 10x5" mono F8, so for my money that is what I'll stick with.
It should also be noted that Razorback Miner John design have coils made specifically for Minelabs, they just cost more than the coils of the same size for the TDI.

Thanks boys, trialling coils is a little hard because I'm basically the only person I know in the hobby hence asking the question before taking the plunge to buy. I was leaning towards the nugget finder 12 or 14" because I already own the sadie and I'm happy with it and it's found me a couple little bits. But now I think I'm more lost.

Nesral, you're the first person that I've heard running DD coils on the tdi, and before reading the links above I was at the impression that the tdi was not really compatible with DD coils. You say you've tried quite a few, do you find them more stable running in "all" over the monos or do you have a bias for them over monos.

Whereabouts are you located? A lot of the detector shops in Victoria have trial coils going by what others have posted here in particular about the new Coiltek Elite & NF Evolution. I know some shops in other states have "loaner" coils to.
If you were close by I could let you try a Coiltek 14" DD pro elite & a 14" NF Advantage mono. In fact I would be interested to see how they run on the TDI.

Mbasko, I appreciate the offer but sadly I'm from Geelong,vic. Most of the detector shops are a good 2hrs+ drive from where I live but that may be what I have to do. I'm aware too that people have spoke about trial coils but didn't think it was an offer that's open to the general public.

If you're heading up that way give one a ring & see what they say. I think they were open for anyone to try but there were waiting lists but now they've been released the demand might not be as big for people wanting to test drive them?

There was a prospecting club in Geelong:
Geelong Prospecting Club
PO Box 123
Corio VIC 3214
Ph (03) 9748 7851

Maybe someone could help you out if it's still running?

PhaseTech said:
I had a brief play with the TDI SL when it first came out and wasn't happy with it using the supplied 12" coil. When I strapped on an 11" Commander Mono it transformed it! Had better depth (on the few test nuggets I had with me), ran smoother, was more sensitive, and target signals were sharper. I still prefer the audio of the TDI series over both the Infinium and ATX.

Yep, me too!

mbasko said:
Now Miner John own & make the Razorback coils I don't think quality is an issue with them at all. When I say made to the specific machine specs it's not to say that one set of specs is better than the other they are just different & Minelab machines do not like operating outside of them whereas the TDI can be more forgiving.
I don't really think the "tech" behind coils is superior from one company to the next. Coils are a fairly simple thing by design. What differs is wire used, types/style of windings & build quality. There are quite a few people using the Miner John/Razorback coils with good results & no complaints, although early Razorback coils before being taken over by Miner John seem to have had some issues?
Personally if it were me I would be getting the coils specifically designed for the TDI but the Sadie is known to work well with the TDI so it is an option to look at.
I think you probably need to trial some coils & make your own decision.
Zuke_Lynzy would have been the bloke to talk to but he seems to have departed the forum?

Canola harvest!

I am very happy with the Sadie coil on my TDI but would like to hear from anyone that has had success with a larger coil.

The Sadie picks up very small targets but I would like something that can see a bit deeper and cover a larger area.

Any suggestions from guys with a TDI would be appreciated.

Razorback coils, or Minor Johns, made specifically for the Whites detectors.
I have a Razorback longreach 7.5x12 folded mono, good quality coil & seams to work well on an SPP, I just haven't found any gold yet but haven't been out with it much. Have read alot of good stuff about the coils though & they come in a few different sizes.

This is the U.S website for RB & MJ coils, the Razorback Longreach coils are priced in AU dollars.
The Australian dealer is Brian Bateson (Razorback Prospecting Australia), very good bloke to deal with.
His details are on the website.
http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/category/655438?page=1

Hi all, I run a Coiltek Joey mono on my SPP. I'm very happy with the way it runs, I found if I tried to run anything bigger the detector be came unstable.
Jim

Thanks guys, Razorback coils have a good following but feedback on individual coils seems to be very sparse.

Don't bother with the Whites 7.5 coil, The only thing it has to offer is it fits in to smaller places, It is no more sensitive to the 12" DF and it give similar depths,

Go with the MJ Coils, the 7x11 or 8x12 folded mono or what ever it is called and the 10x14 or the 14" solid round mono should work best,

John.

The 10x14 MJ coil sounds like what I am looking for but I will check out the Detech coil as well. Thanks for the replies.