Use of Water pumps in Qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a dirty grub leaving rubbish behind is different...
And hurting or destroying native bush is not on ...dont care about killing introduced speices....or clearing weeds..
Im sorry if you took my comment personal as you did make the acid/fuel comment was not my intension apologies smoky.
Pumps can be used safely.... its a modern form of fossicking.
Fun for the whole family...

Smoky you've got it wrong, people weren't purposely flaunting or intentionally breaking any laws, because we read the act as though it doesn't say anything about processing the dirt after it's been fossicked, read the threads, I've tried to give you the info we have, a lot of us have over this for years, honestly if you don't get reading some legal document, then that's ok, but don't have a go at us who have tried getting the correct info from the relevant dept, only to given the run around, and told different interpretations from this one to that one.

You have your opinion and a lot of us have ours, and quite frankly we're sick and bloody tired of being treated like some second class citizen when it comes to our hobby, and the Nazi style restrictions we have imposed on us here in QLD.

And that's all i'm gonna say about that......life like a box of chocoloates, ya never knnow watcha gonna get.

All good guys ;) ....Everyone has the right to make their own decisions in life...I want to buy a highbanker and a pump so bad....But my whole point is if we all start condoning the use of pumps ....then everyone will develop the same attitude.....And it wont be to long before we say good by to fossicing at Deep creek as well..And cecc i do know how to read legal documents as i have to fill them out everyday....To me the Act is clear and simple...It Says Waterpumps are strickly prohibited.... Whether you washing dirt or just your hands at the end of the day...It still means Water pumps are prohibited....Does not mater how you interpret the way its writen....But all good men...I just hope i can still take my son to Deep creek in the future...Alot of laws Suck...But we have them for a reason...Cheers Guys :lol:

yobskin said:
And hurting or destroying native bush is not on ...dont care about killing introduced speices....or clearing weeds..
Im sorry if you took my comment personal as you did make the acid/fuel comment was not my intension apologies smoky.
Hey yobs didnt take that personaly mate..I am really hard to offend. ...But i must say the acid an fuel will kill native plants and animals as well... ;)

The main problem is, the grey area, we have tried and tried to get a definite answer for this issue, and every time people get a different answer, the act is not clear, well it is to the extent it does state what is allowed to fossick, and the definition of fossick.

Show me where it says water pumps are not allowed. I have never found it smoky. Sorry, but we have been over this. Check again the definition of the word, 'fossick'.

So does 4x4 fuel going out into the atmosphere, and motor bikes out in the bush, natural occurrences, floods do more damage in a creek than we could hope to do in 100 yrs or more.

Smoky bandit said:
yobskin said:
Hey yobs didnt take that personaly mate..I am really hard to offend. ...But i must say the acid an fuel will kill native plants and animals as well... ;)
Yes mate they do in massive quantities .....but if that was the main concern then they would stop rain runoff from roads going into creeks and water ways....pffff hahahaha
Look i dont start fights i question things common sense should out way buerocratic nonsense.... nothing ever got done by blowing hot air or offering rim jobs..... :lol:

Hi cecc.
Your getting me all wrong mate ...im on your side...But the Act states NO Machinery is Permitted.....From there it is our responsibility as the holder of a fossicing licence to define what is Machinery..And unfortunately a water pump is defined as Machinery.....Mate if you feel so strongly about using a water pump..... be an Advocate for the rest of us and start using your pump.... :| :)

No I'm not mate, read what I have posted, no 'Machinery' for 'Fossicking' then read what I posted for you on the term 'Fossicking', we all use hand tools to 'Fossick' there is nothing stated or written in regard to processing of material, you have to get this, the penny dropped for me, months ago, from the Act, their own term of 'Fossick' says the gathering of material. What we're saying, is when we've gathered the material with a pick and shovel, then we process it with a pan, a sluice, or a highbanker.

Hope you see this, it all stems around the definition of the word, 'Fossick'. Because I fell strongly about the laws and restrictions here in QLD that's why I started a petition, which has been poorly supported, not even 500 have signed after about 7 mths. So bit disappointed with the response.

From the Act: 1994

Meaning of fossick
(1) Fossick means
(a) search for fossicking materials in a systematic or
unsystematic way
(i) on the grounds surface; or
(ii) by digging with a hand tool; or
(b) collect fossicking materials.

This is not processing, there is nothing in the Act in regard to processing of material, if you find it please tell me.

Im a fossicer...a fisherman. ...a hunter...a diver...a spearfisherman...and a 4x4er and bike rider...All our laws in qld seem like they are punishing me for the things i love doing...But at the end of the day ...if i rebell against the system....I will only contribute to making things worse for all the other people ....that also enjoy those hobbies...And all i will get is another bill to pay to the government.....I have learnt the hard way....but again yobs and cecc...im on your side......You guys are big enough to make up your own mindes on what you want to do..nobody can stop you except the government. ..And we all know we will never win that argument...

Good on ya smoky, yes it does seem we are being attacked from all sides, I don't think we are rebelling rather questioning exactly where we stand and for someone in authority to please define the specifics.

I'm not saying anymore, been over this, and have had enough.

If your processing the material you just dug up with your hand tools .....You are still fossicing when you are panning of the heavys in the creek...You just cant use machinery to help you process your gravel...or use machinery to get your gravel in the first place...It seems as though i have bit off more than i wanted to chew with this topic.. So mate i hope you keep enjoying our hobby....try not to take it to serious.. :D

Mate hopefully will be taking the Family to cobb and co for a night or 2 in the coming weeks..im a shift worker.. and time off is hard to come by..But will give you guys a heads up... and hopfully you guys will be there...Also Just wating for my new 5.5hp water pump to arrive....Just kidding :p

bundyjd said:
So hands up, who has been fined for running a water pump anywhere in QLD?
I think if you were in an isolated part of the country... inspectors either havent caught you....or they have just turned a blind eye....But in areas like Deep creek in The centre of Gympie ....People are alot more sensitive to the issue...and inspectors would be forced to do their jobs...But saying that i have been fossicing at gympie for years and have never seen or heard of an inspector visiting that area...

Latest posts