1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Struts are in place and working well.
1471341626_14012305_1280291138672376_76394016_n.jpg

Plenty of storage room and the bed frame lifts high enough so that I have access to the space under neath.
1471341990_14018015_1280291112005712_1639810988_n.jpg

Next job is to secure the water tank and fit the plumbing.
1471341830_14030902_1280291168672373_67406903_n.jpg

Nucopia have you checked strut operation with ply fitted and all weight that will be on the frame when complete that the struts are acting on ? I ask for as you are aware I'm sure is that loaded and unloaded will give dramatic differing results. Side lift on my camper if you take all the load of it when open I can't shut it .............. just a thought as I saw you only had frame showing with no cover ? Also if you get any flexing from the hinges you can put a full length piano hinge in which makes it super strong along the hinge point.
Hope all goes well and as you know it's always most rewarding when you get to use what you have built yourself.
Cheers

Bogger said:
Nucopia have you checked strut operation with ply fitted and all weight that will be on the frame when complete that the struts are acting on ? I ask for as you are aware I'm sure is that loaded and unloaded will give dramatic differing results. Side lift on my camper if you take all the load of it when open I can't shut it .............. just a thought as I saw you only had frame showing with no cover ? Also if you get any flexing from the hinges you can put a full length piano hinge in which makes it super strong along the hinge point.
Hope all goes well and as you know it's always most rewarding when you get to use what you have built yourself.
Cheers
Thanks Bogger
Have not tried the struts with a full load yet.
The struts are showa brand and I think thats a pretty good brand but will try them out with the full load asap to see how they perform.

You can get different strengths of gas struts in the same physical size. the rating is in Newtons and the value is stamped on the end of the strut. it will be in the form of 360N which is a 360 newton strut. The other thing you can do is to re-position the struts to change the effectiveness of them. Ken.

For a light at the cooking area on my tailgate I used a desk lamp, the flex tube and fitted it to the tailgate with a switch; put an LCD light on the top. bends down out of the way to travel, bend upright when camped and high enough to see when cooking.
Cheers LL

Thanks Limpalot... great suggestions
I have 4 x 12v L.E.D strip lights I bought off fleabay cheap so will be using them later when I do the electrics.
Next week is painting, hook up the 12v water pump and plumbing cut and fold the aluminium for the tool box and get a mate to tig it up for me. Then start on the slide out kitchen, after that will be all the electrics.
Here is were I am at, at the moment.

Planning to build an aluminum tool box to put on the draw bar to house the electrics, i.e battery, 1000w converter charger/controller fuse box etc.
1472282791_new1.jpg

Also have to finish painting the outside.
1472282791_new2.jpg

I have a gas bottle holder , gerry can holder and stone guard to install at the front as well.
1472282791_new3.jpg

P.S..Bogger struts work ok with the load ,but we installed a prop to support the bed frame when fully open to minimise stress on the struts just in case.

Are the rims Holden or Ford. Reason I ask is that Ford ones usually have a heavier square 50mm axle shafts as Holden had round lighter axles shafts. I think its rated A fo Holden B for Ford and C were something like truck bearings.

Wishfull said:
Are the rims Holden or Ford. Reason I ask is that Ford ones usually have a heavier square 50mm axle shafts as Holden had round lighter axles shafts. I think its rated A fo Holden B for Ford and C were something like truck bearings.
Not sure Wishful.
they have split rings on them so I gather they are small truck rims ,no idea from what make or model.

Latest posts