Ballarat abandoned mineshafts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to this but, just wanted to start a topic where people can share mineshafts they have found around Ballarat/Blackwood area, give each other tips and share great photos of your shafts. So feel free to share your explorations on here! :D

Thanks Jaros! Just went exploring today, around mount Helen area, very damp a lot of collapse, did find an entry but dead end.

im still making my book believe it or not ha ha but its taking a while to ask for land owners permission to map record and dig out caved in tunnel/adit entrances in several different old mining towns in Victoria and to put them on a rough map that im trying to draw up but slowly getting there it will be over 300 pages and have old mine plans and modern rough plans mapped by me that wore never mapped back in the olden days so far its 5% complete out of 100% being complete so it may take a while yet to get all the info I can

1459256480_image.jpg

There just a couple I have got on my new phone.... I'll go out and take some good pictures of a few good ones including old buildings around the Ballarat area soon. ?

If that's a human arm bone it would be an infant, maybe drop it off to the local cops. Don't touch it again, use tongs or just a stick, and just bag it up. Try not to tread on any other footprints you see in there. Maybe a better idea would be to just show the cops the pic and give them the location of the mine.

Had a close look at this. :)
I am not a detective or any thing along those lines but
my curiosity was piqued.
If you look carefully, You can see two bones on each structure.
Have a look at the wing structure in the image I have posted.
99.9% what you have there is a bird wing. As for the cloths around it, The
climate in a lot of mines causes desiccation and mummifying to a certain extent.
The coloring may be mold or minerals that have been absorbed hence causing a coloring effect.
By all means, If you suspect foul play report it.
1472085603_bird_bones.png

ballaratgold said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7243/1471951942_image.jpg never seen bones like this down a mineshaft before, looks like old clothes around it.

Latest posts