Minelab Go-Find information, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detectors I would suggest in that price range are;

Fisher F2
Garrett Ace 150
Digitek Teknetics Metal Detector
F11 Fisher Metal Detector
Eurotek 8 inch coil Teknetics
Gofind.

For the type of hunting I do, I like a machine that has a 2 digit target ID (0-99 ID) not a "segmented" ID that bundles targets into a limited group (4 for the gofind).

I think the F2, Eurotek or Digitek are hard to beat.

This is a personal preference, and someone who digs all targets or hunts by tone alone will disagree. The gofind is hard to beat for compact.

As above, the Go-find series is really aimed at the youth market, and you are better off looking for a detector that you can grow with. Despite the Go-fing having a neat design, you will find that most conventional design detectors will break down into separate components, and won't take up too much space. Unfortuntely the $300 price bracket is bit of a no man's land for detectors, with choice limited to only the most basic of machines, and with limited performance.

Spending a little more will open up a whole range of detectors to chose from, not only with half decent ability, but also a good list of features and ability to use both aftermarket and alternative factory search coils (thinking $400-500 range). I have the Go-find 60, and the square coil is awkward to use and pinpoint with, hardwired, and you cannot change the fixed skid plate out if worn. As mentioned, the discrimination/ID segments are a lot less accurate than the use of actual ID numbers, so something to be wary of. If you want to stick with Minelab, the X-Terra 505 would be streets ahead of the Go-find, and have pretty much everything you require in a detector - if you can manage to squeeze a bit more into your budget. :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I can probably spend $400 at maximum. Is there many better detectors with that sort of budget?

I've read that a lot of people are disgruntled by the Go Find's having hard wired coils, but with the detecting I'm doing do I really need to change coils? I won't be prospecting with this. I'll just be detecting at the beach mainly on dry sand and on normal soil/grassland.

Would the x-terra 305 be a better option, someone nearby is selling one that has been "used twice" for $340 plus a couple of accessories (bag and headphones). Is it best to always buy detectors new? Are they easily internally damaged?

Many Thanks
David

The 305 would be a good start, as your mate has a 705 you can compare notes with someone and when your ready step up a grade. That will help a lot as he can tell you the basics.

Sure your missing a few features from the 505 and 705, but its a good place to start on your budget.

Just check the control box for warping or signs of being in a hot car too long and make sure the coil sits flat on the ground and is not warped from the same thing.
Loads of people leave them in the boot when they loose interest and this is not a good thing.
Good luck mate, the longer you think about it the harder the decision will be what to buy, just jump in and start learning.

Welcome to a fantastic Hobby that can actually pay for itself!

Clegy

David22 said:
Would the x-terra 305 be a better option, someone nearby is selling one that has been "used twice" for $340 plus a couple of accessories (bag and headphones). Is it best to always buy detectors new? Are they easily internally damaged?

One owner, lightly used detectors are the best buys, in my experience. It's quite common for people to buy a brand-new detector to start the hobby, try a few hunts (sometimes only one!), find it isn't for them and (eventually) sell the machine with the original set of batteries still in place. If the detector is in good condition on the outside, they are usually OK, but always check for battery leakage just in case they've been left in the back of the wardrobe for too long.

my teknetics alpha is on gumtree. Do some research, it may suit you.....its cheap as well ;)

just wondering what you guys think of them im wanting to buy a coin detector are they alright any info appreciated thanks

I have used my father in laws a bit. I thought it was pretty good value. Found a small pop rivet at 6 inches in Horsham Vic. Pings coins well. Discrim works. I like it better than my Ace 150.

Perfect for gertting goldies and jewellery and stuff, will probably even get quite a few pre dec coins if they aren't too deep, perfect beginners detector.

Mate I bought the 60 thinking it would be good for coins but struggle with it not being stable enough, keep getting wild differences in readings. I ended up spending the extra coin on a Garrett AT Pro International and haven't looked back since.

Has anyone checked out the new minelab go-find 20/40 . Looks like it may be a good way to teach kids the basics on at $200 to $300 machine . Certianly not for seriouse detecting but to learn on .

Hey fred...i have used the go find 20..and must say i was impresed.....just turn on and go....perfect for kids /adults ect....i usually use a xterra 705....but i kept going back to the go find when i was serching the beach....penetrates deeper than i expected...perfect for coins on the beach....im sure the 40 would impress even more :D

I was looking into the Go-Find 60 for myself and the young fella to use, but after reading a few negatives regarding build quality I decided to look at other units. Also, personally I can really do without all that gimmicky smartphone stuff, especially if the extra time and resources went into ensuring a more solid construction.

I think Minelab are definitely onto something with the Go-Find series but I would be waiting for the next release if and when there is one. Just to clarify though, I've never owned let alone held a Go-Find so I can only go of what others have said, I do know people are finding stuff with them so they can't be all bad.

Check out this interesting comparison between the Go-Find and Garrett Ace 250 http://md-hunter.com/what-is-worse-minelab-go-find-20-or-garrett-ace-250/, perhaps a 250 or the newer 300i might be another option for you?

i have a go find 40, ok for what they are but i am not a big fan of it really but i haven't used it much to be honest, 20mins in a park and about 2 - 3 hrs on a beach in tassie, feel like your going to break it if you aren't gentle etc but that's just my opinion

Probably one of the worst things about it is the mono coil, non interchangable (what happens when it wears out?), and reasonably hard to pinpoint with compared to a concentric or DD. It's not the deepest detector in the world, though what beginners detectors are. Aside from that, you don't really want the little tackers digging two foot holes in parks, so not really a concern.

As it is intended for some beach use, it does have auto tracking to salt, something lacking from many detectors at the same price point, not to mention a backlit screen on the more expensive models.

I think the Go-Find series has had a bit of a rough trot considering most reviews and opinions have been from more experienced detectorists that probably expected a bit too much, when the market wasn't really intended to be aimed at them. If I was still a kid looking to try out detecting, I certainly wouldn't pass one up.

Latest posts