something got me thinking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: That sounds like a booby trap :lol: :p just kidding I believe a square meshed rio secured at the top would be fine though if you were deeper than 2 or 3 meters you need to have fall protection in place the same as any construction site otherwise I would imagine a law suit would come along if some one fell in your hole while your down the bottom digging( I am also a holder of an intermediate scaffolders ticket through Work Safe) I kinda see it how mbasko sees it and any QC (Queens Council) would eat a prospector alive in court if they were presented with such a case unless as I stated that you camp onsite or leave someone there with a miners right while you go home and resupply that's the only way I can see it being legal in Victoria..
arroyo said:
how about a sheet of ply and a thin covering of dirt if you're coming back in the morning , pitch a tent on it so its occupied and no one walks on it .

The problem with applying for a claim so to speak as in the next step up from a miners right in the Reef Hills Benalla is that it is an exempted area meaning there is restrictions in this park and one is that you cant put a claim on it anywhere in the park, The only way you can mine the reef hills Benalla is if you are a previous owner of a said mining claim and I pretty sure it was not transferable as in if your dad had a lease there and he has passed away then its so sad to bad... :|

arroyo said:
mbasko said:
"The holder of a miners right must repair any damage to land arising out of the search for minerals as soon as possible and prior to leaving a search area."

With that wording I understand that only applies to the holder of a miners right .
Do we need a miners right to dig holes for other reasons ?
I believe the answer to that question is yes here in Victoria you would require a works permit or some type of permit and that is why we as prospectors and fossickers we are allowed to dig within the guidelines of a miners Right weather you get around the grey area buy forming a party and you can dig till the cows come home but without any permit of any sort and just going into the bush and digging a hole technically IMO would be classed as vandalism but that is just how I would argue it if I was a parks Ranger and to be honest he would have every right to do so in the eyes of the law.. ;)

OMG! You guys are seriously serious! I am starting to wonder is there is any room on this forum for the like of us Newbies who just want to find their first "speck" of the "stuff."

Crackle said:
OMG! You guys are seriously serious! I am starting to wonder is there is any room on this forum for the like of us Newbies who just want to find their first "speck" of the "stuff."

Don't worry Crackle, the forum is for every level of prospector and even larger scale mining can open up your understanding about how to find your spec of gold.
Cheers Steve

ha ha lol I can say something about that but I won't instead ill just say I camp next to my 3 to 6m shafts that I dig by hand and timber by hand if going through running ground or sloppy ground and yes I have a 10 year miners right have even ran into parks and dpi and they have scared the crap out of me unexpectedly while im down my hole digging away ha ha they don't care they just said make sure you fill it in I said I will and I do. mind you I think im the only guy out of about 4 or so people in the whole of victoria that bother digging down deep to find stuff out of metal detectors reach

Latest posts