5 carat Lowmead amethyst

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quite a nice colour I thought. This photo is in incandescent light, in natural light it is a deeper tone of purple - but the stone is not dark. Approx 5 carats and 11mm across.

28450867224_d6e690c888_c.jpg

A simple design - Jeff Graham's "Lighthouse" slightly modified - but rather effective. Four-fold and six-fold symmetry and a smaller number of larger facets supposed to work well for deeper colours. It worked well here anyway.

Is it still four-fold symmetry if the crown is two-fold mirror image symmetry but the pavilion is four-fold? It's the pavilion that's doing the job of reflecting the light back up.

Cheers all.

The original design has no table, just a row of small facets up the middle. I eliminated them and added a small table, giving the stone the appearance of an eye. It's a beautiful design to see especially when the stone is being moved around.

And I'm buggered if I can find the full faceting diagram :/ I have a couple of paper copies that I remember printing out but I can't now recall where I found the design online. This is it here but it doesn't include the instructions.

Thanks AR. Hopefully it's there. Pretty sure it's not where I originally got it from but I have several paper copies and I might photocopy a few more just in case.

Cheers

Great looking stone Lefty, very very nice. I remember Barney did a Topaz with the Lighthouse design and it's a spectacular looking stone too.

That is stunning!! Was hoping to have a go at Lowmead when I'm that way again! Do you have a before pic of thi? I would be interested in seeing the transformation!

LoneWolf said:
Very Nice Stones Lefty :p That Bali Hut must be well suited to Cutting some great Stones....... :lol:

LoneWolf....

She's almost complete - just needs to be plumbed. And of course, a well-stocked beer fridge :)

No worries lefty, happens! Thanks for sharing- It always blows my mind seeing the rough and the results- amazing!!
Nice find rockhound, and nice cut lefty!

No, and definitely not while using a trim saw :D They say they won't cut you since they have no teeth, I don't really want to find out!