Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
centralvic said:
Thanks for the info mbasko will keep looking

If your in no hurry hang five as the last bundle deal you could get an SDC / GPX4500 bundle for under 6K brand spankers. I'm sure the offer will present again ;)
1471429096_minelab_bendigo_gold_box.jpg

There's a s/hand 5000 listed on ebay at the moment, no bids start price is $3500 with 4x coils, 2x batteries, booster, pinpointer and other bits.
Six days to go.
Could be worth watching.
I know nothing about the seller, so I'd recommend contacting the seller to get the serial number and any warranty remaining, and checking with Minelab.
Its one of the more recent 5000's with the sticker on the side, so there's a good chance it still has some warranty.
Always pay with Paypal though, so you have some protection, or pickup in person ideally.

Seems there is more to it than the machine. I of a bloke who will not part with his 3500, he knows it backwards, and knows how to find gold. He keeps up with anyone, and even betters the Z lads at times. Which ever machine you choose, stick with it, and learn how to get the most out of it. I have a 4500, my mate has a 5000, he gets more,gold,bigger and smaller than me, same area, both use NF evo,s.

There was an detector operator at Wedderburn in the 1980s, Jo was his name. He reckoned that it was the operator more than the machine. I am only now getting close to my old Tesoro 20 kHz, 7inch elliptical with the new 4500, 12 inch NF evo. My learning curve with the 4500 was pleasantly compressed with good tuition, GTTours!
Understanding the Machine and your own limitations, eg hearing, finances are as importance.Whatever the machine/operator combination, swing slow and low, ground balance often. Be one with your machine, so to speak!

Diablo

With the resent price drop of the GPX4500 for $3600 is it really worth going for the GPX5000 @ $6000?

Am I really going to get that much extra power/sensitivity for $2400?

Hi mate I got the 4500 last year when it was released ..my friend and I go prospecting together he users the 5000 and I use my 4500 in the beginning I thought the 5000 had the edge over mine but now that I'm use to the 4500 I don't think there's that much difference at all what ever the 5000 can find the 4500 will find it to ..my mate with the 5000 also thinks there's not much difference apart from a few settings that you don't need on the 4500 ...I would happily put my 4500 up against a 5000 ...in saying that my friend and I have swapped machines while been out prospecting and I couldn't wait to get my 4500 back mayb because I'm more familiar with it now ..there both awesome machines but for the price you can't go past the 4500 ..cheers

Totally agree. Spend the savings on going to those special places more often. Take your 4500 with a good coil, and knowledge from at least one course..... You will find gold and be very happy all way round.
Cheers
Diablo

I think the biggest difference for use in the GT is that the 5000 has Fine Gold timing which is between Normal (medium mineralisation) and Enhance (high mineralisation). There's also two other settings which IMO, are not applicable to the GT (Coin/Relic and Salt Gold - maybe). Is having Fine Gold worth the extra outlay, or is changing coils to suit the ground a better option?
For me, I'll stick with my old mate, the 4500 (around 4.5 ears old and still using the first battery) and a range of coils:
1. Minelab Mono 11' (good all rounder in hot ground),
2. Minelab DD 11" for nasty areas (powerlines, near townships, electric fences etc),
3. NF 14*9"Evo where the ground isn't really wild, and getting amongst obstacles with excellent pin-pointing, and
4. NF 17*13" Evo for wide open areas for deeper targets with reasonable pin-pointing. Any bigger and it's just too tiring - at least for me.

If the price was closer - like within about $500 or so - I'd say the 5000. Fine Gold can be beneficial & give you an edge but at the current pricing it's hard to go past the 4500. IMO it's the best value all round dedicated gold detector for sale at the moment of any brand/series.

Thank you all for your responses. I have received the 4500 and am currently trying to learn what everything means and does.

I have been relic detecting for quite a few years with a 705 and a spot of prospecting here and there with a modded SD2100. It will be interesting to see how the discrimination compares as the property I frequent is a running cattle property with quite a bit of rubbish and relics.

Next trip out is in a couple of weeks. Steep learning curve, here I come. We shall see.

Hey folks just wondering people's opinions between the GPX4500 and the GPX5000 with the standard coil on them is the 5000 worth the extra money all opinions will be greatly appreciated. :)

5K owners will probably say yes, 4500 owners most likely, a maybe.

Personally, it would depend, I would rather have a 4500 with 2 NF Evo coils than a standard 5000.
But if money was no object and I could get the 5K and Evo,s then yep, I would go the 5K.
I own a 4500 and a QED atm.

Value for money you can't beat a new 4500 at the moment and many hobby detectorists wont see much of a difference or gain much of a benefit having a 5000 over a 4500.

If the gold is your sole source of income you want every advantage however small and in my experience the 5000 pips the 4500.

But then if gold is your sole source of income you'd want a 5000, a 7000 and an SDC

Latest posts