Nokta Fors Relic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of a play with some gold settings, definitely general (all metal) is heaps more sensitive than any other setting by quite a few inches actually.

Ive also found in di3 it really dumbs down the detector but upping the sensitivity means i'm digging canslaw again haha di2 seems to be the go to for this detector so far. I tried out the little coil for shooting coins but have gone back to the larger 7x11. I'm starting to hear coins and the trash is fading into the background so the detector is training me bit by bit.cant wait to get a full day out on the beach.

I only ever use DI2 on the Fors Gold, I found a specie nugget with the Fors Relic Nenad loaned me, 4.6 grams and shallow, pretty sure the Gold would have found it too. Of course I hammered the area with my GPX4500 & Sadie coil next day for nil result, but will go back. I only used the sniper coil too on the Nokta because of the difficult scrub I was in. The batteries last a good bit longer with the little coil to boot.
Excellent coin/relic finders, have been rewarded so many times.

The gold found with the Fors Relic

1471300192_gold1.jpg

ColinD said:
I only ever use DI2 on the Fors Gold, I found a specie nugget with the Fors Relic Nenad loaned me, 4.6 grams and shallow, pretty sure the Gold would have found it too. Of course I hammered the area with my GPX4500 & Sadie coil next day for nil result, but will go back. I only used the sniper coil too on the Nokta because of the difficult scrub I was in. The batteries last a good bit longer with the little coil to boot.
Excellent coin/relic finders, have been rewarded so many times.

The Coil size should not effect the battery life Should It ? The battery life should be voltage controlled surely ?

If anything the smaller coils chew more power.

I saw chart the other day that showed larger coils having less draw,

John.

No idea John, I just go with the observation that when the small coil is on I change batteries less. I have used the 11x7 coil a fair bit and the batteries needed changed quicker it seems to me. I also observed the small coil forced me to slow down and swing more carefully and my finds improved from doing that as well.

ColinD said:
No idea John, I just go with the observation that when the small coil is on I change batteries less. I have used the 11x7 coil a fair bit and the batteries needed changed quicker it seems to me. I also observed the small coil forced me to slow down and swing more carefully and my finds improved from doing that as well.

Yeah Colin, I have found that you have to slow down too on my machines, I see someone on the Whites forum did some testing on 3 of their Coils and as the coils got smaller the Current went up, Don't have a clue why ? Maybe it is because the Windings are closer together so maybe they mess with one another, I don't know, To be honest.

Out of all the modern machines the Relic is inspiring, and it is Classy, You have some great adventures to come with that machine that's for sure,

Good Luck.

John.

I had some time to kill yesterday so I did a few tests with the Nokta Fors Relic for depth on a small lead target as I had been out all day Saturday and was totally stuffed from swinging over an old town site. Up and down hills for hours near killed me so Sunday was a day of rest.

So while the wife was out I snaveled a 75mm Deep plastic container from the kitchen and used this for the test.
I dug clean soil and tested it before I placed the lead shot on the lid then flipped over the container with the soil on top then ground balanced

These were the results

Di3 - 0.34gr lead shot / Sensitivity 80 buried at 75mm- Just picks it up, but if it was in a field you probably wouldn't dig it.
Di2 - 0.34gr lead shot / Sensitivity 80 buried at 75mm- Picks it up a little better than Di3, yes you would dig it
GEN - 0.34gr lead shot / Sensitivity 80 / threshold 60/ buried at 75mm- Picks it up no problem nice clear tone, even with lower threshold down to 20
Swift mode - didn't pick up at all
Deep mode - picked it up but not as good as general mode, a little bit more crisper tone than Di2.

I did the same test with the little 5"DD round coil, I found that it struggled a little compared to the standard coil. If I had been in the bush with the 5" I would have only dug the targets in GEN and Di2.

Anyway, as I said I had some time to kill so thought I would post the results. (wifes container now hiding in the shed)

Mick

Good test Mick, I have the Fors Gold, if I set up the BST(DI2) the way I want it then set up GEN the way I want it I can switch between the 2 modes by just touching one button when hovering over a target on the mullock heaps. As long as I don't switch the machine off it will maintain my settings on both modes. So if a target is iffy I check it with the GEN and it is often a hotrock or small bit of iron. On the FG the GEN ID's iron really well and better than DI2 (IMO). The DI2 is more pleasant to run whilst flicking around looking for targets though.

ColinD said:
Good test Mick, I have the Fors Gold, if I set up the BST(DI2) the way I want it then set up GEN the way I want it I can switch between the 2 modes by just touching one button when hovering over a target on the mullock heaps. As long as I don't switch the machine off it will maintain my settings on both modes.

Now that's a great idea Colin as it could certainly save me a dig, I hadn't thought of that. I'm still learning the Relic as it's all trial and error for me at this stage. I might try that test again with a small tack or nail next to the lead and see what I come up with.

Mick

Latest posts