Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some guys are running the 11'DD in Mono... what is to be gained from doing that? Does it make the coil more sensitive?
Any help appreciated as I have one which came with my machine last year.
C

ColinD said:
I've seen some guys are running the 11'DD in Mono... what is to be gained from doing that? Does it make the coil more sensitive?
Any help appreciated as I have one which came with my machine last year.
C
The upside is it can give a DD coil some more sensitivity.
The downsides are only the one side of the coil works (left I think it is), it can introduce more ground noise in highly mineralised ground & makes iron reject, if you use it, not work properly.
Basically if you've only got a DD coil it's not a bad trick if your picking up some smaller bits to possibly squeeze some more sensitivity out. No other real gain to be had IMO.
A lot of people swear by it with GP series detectors but probably not needed with the GPX series. Edit: especially if you've got a mono coil.

Thanks for the help, I do have a NF Sadie coil so will just stick to using the 11' as a DD by the sounds of things, just thought I'd ask. I do like to put iron reject on 5 to save some of the digging nails with the DD
Thanks again

Find a spot that has small gold :lol:
Enhance & new type sensitive coil or old type mono in smaller size or elliptical.
Other settings to suit you, the coil & the area your detecting. Best to start around factory preset & adjust from there gradually as you get used to it all.
If you can buddy up with someone in your area even better.

David s I'm new to the 4500 also so trying to take as much info in as I can . I don't know anybody around my area that has one so I am after all the info I can get

Hey guys I'm looking for a really good coil for tiny nuggets for my gpx4500 I'm looking for something that will find tiny stuff as good as sdc iv been using 8"commander mono and it's great but I'm thinking there's something even better out there any thoughts will be appreciated cheers

Mickybees said:
Hey guys I'm looking for a really good coil for tiny nuggets for my gpx4500 I'm looking for something that will find tiny stuff as good as sdc iv been using 8"commander mono and it's great but I'm thinking there's something even better out there any thoughts will be appreciated cheers

I have always preferred the Little Joey, I have had them on my VLFs and my PI machines, to me they seem hot on small items or thin sectioned bits, I used the DD versions but you can also get them in Mono configuration too, So I would think that a Mono that small would be a pretty hot coil,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Mickybees said:

I have always preferred the Little Joey, I have had them on my VLFs and my PI machines, to me they seem hot on small items or thin sectioned bits, I used the DD versions but you can also get them in Mono configuration too, So I would think that a Mono that small would be a pretty hot coil,

John.
Iv heard good things about the little joey do u think it has the edge over 8"commander?

Mickybees said:
Ridge Runner said:
Mickybees said:

John.
Iv heard good things about the little joey do u think it has the edge over 8"commander?

I would think they are both on par with each other, with the 8" round getting the edge on depth although both coils are equal in size, but where the Joey gets my vote is because it will fit in tight places and it is good for poking in and around tree roots and rocks and things,

John.

Hi Mickybees
I find pieces around and below the 0.05g mark with my 4500 with a 12 inch NF evo ,,, if it's much smaller even the pin pointer will have difficulty finding it once you disturb the soil or rock. If I work where's there specs in Quartz I swap to my VLF 20khz detector with a 7 inch elliptical. It works better than the 4500 on fine specs in rock. It is also a lighter detector and easier to handle on heaps etc.
No where as good as my 4500 combination and setup for the other 99% of use
Cheers
Diablo

Thanks for your thoughts guys I have a Coiltek 11"elite and that's also great on small stuff but Iv seen what the sdc can find and its tiny stuff like less then 0.01 cheers mick

No coil or timing combo will match the MPF ability that the SDC has, GPX series being MPS, it is just not as sensitive on those really tiny bits, almost is with the new coil types but not quite.