How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget said:
If the detector is still up come auction end, who would be interested in participating in a bidding war? I'd be happy to bid up to $100,000 or so :lol:
I thought about doing that before but knowing my luck I'd end up with the red flag or banned from eBay. For all it's faults it is handy at times.

mbasko said:
Nugget said:
If the detector is still up come auction end, who would be interested in participating in a bidding war? I'd be happy to bid up to $100,000 or so :lol:
I thought about doing that before but knowing my luck I'd end up with the red flag or banned from eBay. For all it's faults it is handy at times.

Yeah, You and me both, I can't count the times a good deed has back fired on me, It does tend to Sour a person after a while,

Personally I think Ebay and the likes should take the hit because they are allowing people to market the stuff, No doubt they have 10,000 excuses as to why they can't monitor all cases but if any one else tried to use that excuse they would never get away with it. Ebay find ways of getting around things like this just like the have when it comes to paying their Taxes,

But if you are a Day late lodging your Tax return heaven help you. Been There Done That, :eek: :eek: :eek:,

john

mbasko said:
Nugget said:

As i mentioned before on a thread here i once bid on a graphics card i won cheaply but the guy wouldnt send it and then reposted it for sale. So i opened a bogus account and blew the other bidders away to win the auction only to just ignore the guy lol.
I cant remember the account details anymore but its easy enough to start another one ;)

Yeah, so I got back to the seller ( after reading his update ), and his private message to me was, that he received this particular detector as 'part payment' for work he did ( for someone ).

I don't think he has any intention of 'pulling the listing' ...

We can't do much about it unfortunately. It's really up to him or eBay to pull it. All we can do is keep trying to educate people on here & that we know to be careful when purchasing. I wouldn't buy a machine now without first getting details verified by Minelab. If they can't verify anything then I don't buy simple....

Although I use other machines, There is a certain amount of pride about owning a minelab and the One I have is a little bit special due to what it is and the fact that I have never seen one like it before, But I still wish I had kept the version I bought new just because, I know what I have spent on ML products and I resent anyone steeling by using the ML brand to defraud people,

John.

( I still haven't hit ten posts yet, so can't put up a link ).

So, can someone take a look at the latest on ebay ...

a 'BUY IT NOW' ( or make an offer ) GPX 5000 for $4,500.

Seller joined ebay YESTERDAY !!!

Nup.
In Sydney.

There are two 5000s at $4,500. on ebay at the moment ...

One has the 'zeros' in '5000' touching, the other has a slight space between the zeros.

Which is which ? ( genuine has the space, I'm thinking ....)

How hard would be for Chinamen to buy one original unit and then copied the number couple of times. Just example that checking serial number doesn't mean you safe to buy.
I bought my second hand 5k from an Asian guy in Melbourne, unopened and never registered nearly 3 years old. Everything looked genuine, phone checked the serial number(which didn't helped much, as never registered) even in Miners Den Melbourne told me it's genuine.Everything looked so suspicious.New, unopend, never used for 3 years and the guy was selling it for his brother who lives in Adelaide and apparently couldn't sell it over there. I can tell you I was in doubt until I started finding gold.

Yes if you read through the the thread from the very first post you'll see there are a number of checks you should be doing hence the check the serial number ETC. remark.
Anyone wanting to verify a machine & wants info on what to do should start at the first post not the last!
Anyone taking a risk to buy a machine that they're unsure of right up until they have found gold :rolleyes: is rolling the dice on their cash. Lucky it turned out ok & not a dud!
READ THROUGH THE THREAD & MAKE ALL OF THE VERIFICATION CHECKS WHERE POSSIBLE.
IF UNSURE PUT YOU MONEY BACK IN YOUR WALLET & KEEP LOOKING.

Can't tell as it's wrapped and no way you'd get a genuine new one for less that $4.5k. Need to see pictures of the GPX font, handle and front and back covers. I note that the item's location is San Diego, CA, but that's not in Canada as stated, so sure sounds dodgy. You'll also have to pay GST on the import. Ask for serial number and check that with Minelab. Remember the saying: "if it sounds too good to be true..........?" Take care.

interesting to note - says its overseas yet the seller is located in Australia if I am reading his profile correctly. history of 4 sales only and non-GPS related is an issue as well. very dodgy I would have thought.

Latest posts