How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the 5000 model on ebay at this time ... ?

Current bid $2,750.

Serial number is displayed, but I'm waiting on the seller to message me back with the 'security device word' ...

Also, I tried texting Minelab, and the number replies back with "try again" ???

Tracker said:
What about the 5000 model on ebay at this time ... ?
Current bid $2,750.
Serial number is displayed, but I'm waiting on the seller to message me back with the 'security device word' ...
Also, I tried texting Minelab, and the number replies back with "try again" ???

This one?: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/minelab-...609466?hash=item33bc3f7cfa:g:BjcAAOSwdzVXmT3H

The handgrip looks dodgy as does the typeface on the case, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the seller to tell you anything meaningful. :rolleyes:

1469861060_dodgy_5000.jpg

Spelling mistake on the Genuine Minelab label too. Says on first line at top "Genuine Mnelab" then again under the Minelab logo.

There was another one on there the other day that was a fake also but now removed (hopefully not sold). They had used the headphones to wrap around the dodgy handle in what looked like an effort to conceal it plus blurry shots of the control box font, serial number etc. Maybe the shonksters are reading our tips too... :lol:

I'm really shocked at how many bids they get & how high some bidding goes. I couldn't spend that much on eBay without doing some research & there is plenty of info about on the counterfeits. Seems people just can't help themselves if they think they're getting a bargain..... :rolleyes:

mbasko said:
Spelling mistake on the Genuine Minelab label too. Says on first line at top "Genuine Mnelab" then again under the Minelab logo...

That puts it beyond any doubt that it's a fake - well spotted!

Here's a highlighted pic of the error for future reference by PA members/browsers:
1469916594_dodgy_mnelab.jpg

I messaged the guy the day it was listed explaining it will be reported as it's fake and he replied saying could Zi explain how I can tell and that his brother had also purchased one of these.
Sounded like bullsht to me.

Reeks said:
I messaged the guy the day it was listed explaining it will be reported as it's fake and he replied saying could Zi explain how I can tell and that his brother had also purchased one of these.
Sounded like bullsht to me.

Yes did the same . Latest addition in description

On 31-Jul-16 at 10:07:29 AEST, seller added the following information:

Item is possibly not minelab. Person has said they dont think it is. Personally i cant work out difference. Auction is at buyers discretion

In fairness some people selling may not truly be aware they have ever even purchased a fake ? In fact could be selling as they have never found anything and given up? Wonder Why perhaps :rolleyes:

Everyone should get on eBay and report this item to stop the sale from going through, otherwise some poor bastard might end up forking over hard earned cash for rubbish. The alternative, lets start a bidding war, how high do you reckon we could jack the price up to? :lol:

Bogger said:
In fairness some people selling may not truly be aware they have ever even purchased a fake ? In fact could be selling as they have never found anything and given up? Wonder Why perhaps :rolleyes:
True but once they've been made aware then not only morally should they remove it from sale but legally too. Saying the auction is at buyers discretion doesn't remove the sellers responsibility. Interestingly the buyer could be guilty of an offence once in possession also if they knowingly purchase a fake/counterfeit machine.

Under the Trade Marks Act 1995 it is an offence to:
- sell, possess, distribute or import a good, knowing that the trade mark has been falsified or removed.
Penalties include up to five years imprisonment and fines of up to $99 000.

Copyright
Under the Copyright Act 1968 it is an offence to:
- knowingly import, possess, sell, distribute or commercially deal with an infringing copy.
Penalties include fines of up to $117 000 for individuals and up to $585 000 for corporations. The possible term of imprisonment is up to five years.
Source: IP Australian website

One of the things that has me thinking is why aren't Customs doing more, The must know where REAL Minelabs come from So surely any would be minelabs coming from any other country should tell them that they are Fake, It's not like Minelab are a tiny company, All the customs people around the world want to do is find Drugs and the like, So when these things flood the market this is as much as their fault as it is the importers.

john.

If the detector is still up come auction end, who would be interested in participating in a bidding war? I'd be happy to bid up to $100,000 or so :lol:

Nugget said:
If the detector is still up come auction end, who would be interested in participating in a bidding war? I'd be happy to bid up to $100,000 or so :lol:

You Sir, Are a Bad Lad, Great Idea though, lol :D :D

John.

Ridge Runner said:
One of the things that has me thinking is why aren't Customs doing more, The must know where REAL Minelabs come from So surely any would be minelabs coming from any other country should tell them that they are Fake, It's not like Minelab are a tiny company, All the customs people around the world want to do is find Drugs and the like, So when these things flood the market this is as much as their fault as it is the importers.

john.
In many cases I assume individuals buy them from places like Alibaba etc. in small quantities that are sent in plain packaging labelled as gift or similar - not labelled or externally marked as Minelab. Unless they raise a red flag in some other way customs would have no cause to check them. A large shipment would obviously be different.
One bloke I messaged on eBay back awhile ago now ended up admitting he had purchased a few in an effort to flog them on eBay at a big profit. He knew bugger all about detectors/detecting & was caught up in making some quick cash without knowing much if anything about what he was selling - or so he said anyways :rolleyes:
Just like all the other excuses they use - I got it as a gift, it was given to me for payment of work, my friends next door neighbors Uncle died & they asked me to sell it etc. etc.

Latest posts