Pine Creek NT Northern Territory information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anyone knowledgeable about the area interested in prospecting with me in NT July 6-13th? Going to Darwin with my wife, hope to detect before and afterwards.

I currently live in Halls Creek and would be willing to offer the same in return. I also know the Golden Triangle fairly well.

Hey, if come up again, I know some areas that historiclly produce, and can help out a bit, but as far experience goes, im a beginner!
Happy to help if I can though.

Hi all,
I am heading to Pine Creek tomorrow with the family. We are looking to get into fossicking as a family activity away from computers! Any tips for the absolute beginner? Where can we go?
Thanks

Type in territory rocks to google, go to visitors page, have a quick read of the advise there.
I would probably look at doing a trip to spring hill south, go for a drive and check out the area. Stop in at grove hill pub, ask to see nuggets for sale, that will provide some inspiration and motivation. There is also a facebook page, prospecting in the territory. Probably look at some panning.
good luck!

1459059459_img_1733.png

Try this sucker for motivation a recent pine creek find and that's about all I can devuldge :cool: :p

Hey man, Sorry never been to NT detecting. Will be in Hals Creek from 29 June till mid July. Plan to camp and swing around Grants patch and Dry creek. If ya around when I am there keen to hook up for a swing.

Polky.

Hi All ,
Heading up to Darwin in the next week or so and i am looking for some local knowledge to pin down some areas to Try .
I am running a GPZ and keen to try the pine creek area . Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on what areas are free to prospect and what areas should i avoid ?.
And are the any other areas closer to Darwin worth a swing ?

Thanks in Advance for any info .

James .

James, need to go dept of mines and energy in Darwin, they can send you to areas after some quick paper work. They are really helpful. Ask about Margaret diggings and spring hill south, both areas are proposed fossicking areas. Web site called strike nt will show the areas. Also check of fossicking the territory. There are other areas, but I can't advise you about them, purely because I don't have authority to, checkout the prospecting the territory Facebook page.

Hi Davent ,
Thanks for the Info i will check out Margaret Diggings and Spring Hill South and Dept of Mines and Energy are my first port of call when i get there . I sent a join Request to the prospecting Territory page yesterday but haven`t got access yet my request is still pending . I will be staying at Coolalinga but have a 4x4 so willing to explore a bit .

James .

Join request might take.a little.while, bloke who runs the site spends lots of time out bush, limited internet access. But he will get there!

Hi guys
Looking for some information on Pine Creek Im working in the local area. Been thinking about checking The place out on my days off. Is it worth a look?
What works best in the area detecting Or the old sluicing panning?
Cheers
Jason

Jasonr said:
Hi guys
Looking for some information on Pine Creek Im working in the local area. Been thinking about checking The place out on my days off. Is it worth a look?
What works best in the area detecting Or the old sluicing panning?
Cheers
Jason
If its the Pine Creek near me then don't go in the water or you'll be croc poo.

* In 1871 workers digging postholes while building the Overland Telegraph discovered alluvial gold near Yam Creek.

* By 1872 miners were prospecting along Pine Creek and, in spite of warnings about the harsh conditions and advice that it "would be foolish for people to come running here", miners rushed to the district. Deposits of alluvial gold were discovered at Pine Creek either by the overlander D'Arcy Wentworth Uhr or by G. G. McLachlan.

* The Eleanor Gold Reef was opened in late 1872 and the following year the Union Gold Reef established the area as a major goldfield.

* In 1873 both the Pine Creek Repeater Station and the Police Camp were built.

* By 1874 the Royal Mail Hotel, the town's first, had opened.

* By 1875 a second hotel, The Standard, was competing for trade.

* The easily accessible surface gold soon ran out. Miners left the area but miners, brought in as 'coolie labour' with the South Australian government paying 20 per person, came from Singapore and Malaysia. They were followed by Chinese from Hong Kong.

* By the mid-1880s there were over 2,000 Chinese living in Pine Creek.

Hi. Just got into Darwin and looking at detecting around the Pine Creek area. Does anyone have contact details for land owners or lease holders who are willing to allow a novice like myself detect around some likely spots? Would love to find somewhere you can camp amd prospect from.

maybe put this in the wanting to buy section if you haven't done much research or try the information centre or log into youcamps on the net, I have found very helpful.

Latest posts