This is an outrage !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you taking the piss, Arroyo? If you have a genuine problem you should be OK for the disability. There are too many, though, for whom the disability is the promised land. And as Yobs suggests, keeping busy (ie having a job) is a powerful means of getting better from depression. Nothing worse than being isolated at home with nothing to do.

Hahaha yea all abled bodied people should be made to work or something....it mightent be the dream job or leed to a carer but its money and somthing to do.
Im on a dissablity pension legit not fakeing it..if i could be at work i would. Fark i loved working....
But dont think your tax pays for people on the dole thats incorrect ....

Arroyo, gotta agree that there are too many people out there working the system. Unemployment, disability, whatever. We will always have these types of people.

But mate we need to be careful just how far we pull things back. I thought long and hard about replying to this thread, but obviously I decided I would.

Mate, I've been on anti-depressants for the last 22 years, and I will be for the rest of my days. I'm now an aged pensioner, 70 yo, but I was on disability for a lot of years. Centrelink put me through hell to prove that I was nuts. My problem didn't start in 1994, it started 26 years before that in Vietnam. That's the trouble see, it doesn't necessarily just start when we are faced by trauma. Yes in my case it took 26 bloody years.

See, the other problem with cases like mine is that some days I could be working like I used to, but the next day I was a basket case and wanted to top myself. Okay I'm getting a bit personal here, but my point is, just because a bloke on disability for depression looks like he should be out there working, don't be fooled. Yep some people will try to fool you, but it would be one of the hardest disability categories to fudge, at least for any length of time.

So whilst I agree in general terms that too many are working the system, we need to be very careful how we go about stopping the rorts.

Cheers mate

Not havin a go at anyone but the moment i see threads like this I immediately start getting defensive and irritable ect.
Probably a bit personal but what the hell.
See I'm always having to explain myself to people who think they know better,because even though i was born with Spina Bifida and have recently been diagnosed with IBS and what i would call Mild depression.......I look perfectly normal.....healthy even.

Its why prospecting works so well for me.
Im alone out in the bush where nobody can see me shite my pants......its happened wasn't fast enough,then the depression kicks in..... anyway...

Be careful who you judge guys .....please.

Id love to be back at the Abattoir earning great money.

Depression. Having cancer is depressing. I ...thank goodness got over it ..so far? and got work eventually. There are jobs out there.
Phenix76 I understand, my Father was in ww2 and suffered badly from depression, he was on Valium for 40 years which didn't make for a good upbringing.

Take it easy.

rocketaroo said:
depression can be very much disabling
Always thought i was pretty indestructible, mentally at least that is, until i was put on anti depressants a few months back. I work 50 plus hours a week doing stuff i love, but i found myself not being able to control my feelings of being bloody useless and literally trying to destroy a 27 year relationship because i didn't want to talk about stuff.
I'm slowing learning and trying very hard to never judge others unless i've walked a mile in their shoes. :)

If you ask me much more money is handed over to Politicians and their so called allowances / Away from home / Travel / Booze / Car /Super etc and a wage on top.

And in some cases behave as bad if not worse than a few I see at Centerlink.....

I have worked non stop from when I was 13 and paid taxes etc and helped out with Aus Aid and WHO overseas etc. At 59 my health is not so good and I get classed as too old or over qualified / set in my ways. But do not qualify for a disability and have people following a script say that they have to help me get a job... And then want me to sign up as to how to write my CV - ROFLMFAO.

All about fudging numbers and employment agencies claiming payments - not about helping people find jobs and a bit hard when the jobs do not exist.

So yes, would be nice to get some PT work at least. But not much around for me and even less full time. I would rather see some one that had Kids and a mortgage get a FT job over me....

I live within my means and it is not bad. But I hate having to send off 10 applications a week for jobs that I would never get, so as to keep my rating with Centrelink... And I am only required to do 10hrs a week even if I could get a job.....

Just a final word on this. Aussiefarmer, hear what you say, and maybe it works for some, sometimes.

I was at the height of my career in 1994, achieving things that nobody at done before, or hadn't been able to do successfully. A very high profile job that I absolutely loved doing. Then on the last Thursday of November 1994 I went to the doc's for a routine check-up. I sat in the chair of his office and just totally cracked. I mean, I was howling like a baby and talking death and doom. Poor bugger was absolutely stunned for a moment, but quickly started to do what had to be done.

So mate, whilst achieving things can help, it is no cure all, believe me.

Tell you what does help. That is, being able to talk about it. Just like I've done in these two posts. I probably drive some people mad at times, but I've learned to get it out and talk about it. But of course firstly you have to be able to admit it to yourself or you will never talk about it. It took me 45 years.

So cheers to all of you and don't be afraid to talk to your friends or loved ones about any problems like this. :)

Phoenix76 said:
Just a final word on this. Aussiefarmer, hear what you say, and maybe it works for some, sometimes.

I was at the height of my career in 1994, achieving things that nobody at done before, or hadn't been able to do successfully. A very high profile job that I absolutely loved doing. Then on the last Thursday of November 1994 I went to the doc's for a routine check-up. I sat in the chair of his office and just totally cracked. I mean, I was howling like a baby and talking death and doom. Poor bugger was absolutely stunned for a moment, but quickly started to do what had to be done.

So mate, whilst achieving things can help, it is no cure all, believe me.

Tell you what does help. That is, being able to talk about it. Just like I've done in these two posts. I probably drive some people mad at times, but I've learned to get it out and talk about it. But of course firstly you have to be able to admit it to yourself or you will never talk about it. It took me 45 years.

So cheers to all of you and don't be afraid to talk to your friends or loved ones about any problems like this. :)
Couldn't agree more Phoenix76, i went from what i thought was normal to broke over the period of a week and ended up howling like a baby to a doctor i'd never seen before.
One of the hardest things i've ever done was to 'man up' at the age of 62 and admit i needed help.
Good posts all and imo being able to say these things on here is why this forum is such a great place, we may all be here originally because we are searching for gems of one type or another out in the field, but some of the best gems to be found are the people here imo.

Been there 20 years ago with back problems; takes a long time to get your head around, "you can't do what you used to do". I found I do what I can when I can, the rest happens another day. Be happy with small achievements, things just take longer to do.
Maybe we need a " Men's business " Topic, If talking helps ,why not. :lol: :lol:
Be Happy LL

Cant do a mens buisness....thread... we are not gender bias..i have somthing that might help ...oh and drop bear dont think so mate..

Latest posts