GPX5000 question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for some help on a sensitivity issue.
I bought a 8x6 nugget finder coil, hoping it would find small gold like an SDC on days when I couldn't be stuffed digging deep holes, or just going out for a couple of hours to get away.
What I am finding is the 8x6 is no more sensitive to small gold than my standard 11 inch commander.
I was testing with a specimen which has a piece of visible gold similar to what I have seen posted here, found with SDCs.
I have now tested on various settings, various timings and even rubbing the gold against the coil, the specimen does not make a sound.
Today the salt was well and truly rubbed into the wound when a tested my specimen against a $400 dollar whites detector and it made a sound.
So clearly I am doing something wrong.
I usually use fine gold with all factory settings apart from the target volume which I have turned up, smallest piece with the Sadie coil is 0.02 grams.
Any advice welcomed...below is my test subject.
1468139481_20160710_182429.jpg

Probably not doing doing anything wrong mate, the 5000 will never be as sensitive as an SDC, even with a sadie. The SDC's MPF is just way better on porous gold and finely disseminated specimens. That's where it really excells.

It all depends on the nugget being detected.

If it's any consolation the 5000 with sadie may have an edge over the sdc on solid nuggets at depth. Just out of interest do you have a small DD coil on hand. I wouldn't be surprised if it got a signal on your test piece. They do have great sensitivity on near surface targets IME

Thanks Heatho and Nuggetino.

I haven't tried with a DD coil, I only have my 11 commander DD, but I will give that a crack as I am curious now.

I found with my small Nugget Finder that I can crank the Rx and Target Volume a bit over the larger coils, in the same ground. Which does make it a little more sensitive.

I've found 0.01 gr nuggets at 8cm with the 5000 on mullock heaps using the 12 x 7.

For species like yours a high freq vlf will be best (if ground conditions allow), followed by the SDC, then GPZ, then the 5000 in Fine Gold (yes Fine Gold is better than Sens Extra on species).

I also wouldn't be suprised if a 14x9 Evo did better on that piece compared to a small traditional mono.

Tried the DD on the weekend...same result.
Guess I will just have to go find the bigger nuggets!
Thanks all for the feedback.

PK the SDC pings it and the GPX won't even see it even after and when I know it's there ............... not a peep. Funnily enough I nearly purchased a Sadie myself for the exact reason as yourself but a few very learned advisors told me what the result would be. Thank you again sir for saving me money on a PHASE I was going thru ;)
There is just some things the little blue one does better than any other in my findings ;)

P.K. said:
smallest piece with the Sadie coil is 0.02 grams.

How much smaller do you want to go 8)

I think of it like this, how many 10oz nuggets at depth have the SDCs swung over without making a sound? At least with the 5000 you've still got a shot at the big money :D

Latest posts