Surf PI 1.2 from silver dog build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just finished building a Surf PI. Only spent a couple hours on the beach so far, seems to work quite well found tent peg, nail, $2 coin and a bit of ali can. Goes off on basalt type rocks also. Mounted on a forearm crutch, housed in a piece of 50mm pipe with 3 li-ion batteries. Coil was wound from cheap hookup wire from jaycar on cardboard, housed in epoxy coated corrugated carboard. Got all my info from the Geotech site. Will try and post photos shortly.

1435831626_shaft1-s.jpg

1435831695_shaft-s.jpg

1435831780_coil-s.jpg

Knew that would work

Looking very good.

I made a few of the basket weave coils like you have there. If you get some Litz wire (avail on eBay) you may find it works a little better. Although a fast coil isn't necessary for beach hunting, it will certainly work more efficiently.

Thanks Guys
@ Zuke_Lynzy Haven't had a chance to do any serious depth testing yet but was happy with a few quick tests I did on the day, really need to look a bit more closely at the damping resistor, but it is sensitive to gold.
@ SteelPat Have made a coil from litz wire (bb sailor fast coil) which I am seriously considering dismantling, reusing the wire and trying what you suggest, but that won't happen for a while.
Regards
Peter

Latest posts