Be Very careful Buying used whites detectors especiallys from SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
1377811990_whites_gmt.jpg

Just thought i would share my current drama so as hopefully someone will avoid what I'm going through.

I decided my first detector was going to be a whites GMT have heard amazing things about them with the best story being 33 ounces(300 bits) near Dunolly in a weekend where the gpx 4500 went right over.

So after doing some research the price on a used unit still in warranty was around $650 I found three units in SA around the same price I contacted the listed from Gumtree asked all the right questions (so i thought) and the next day he sent it off to me COD through Australia post. Well I was so exited to get out there once it arrived so i spent the rest of the day in creswick over some spots i knew there were gold and rubbish. to my surprise I was only getting signals from iron... after waving the thing over my stainless steel pick without a response I went home pretty disappointed.

After spending some time checking through the web about settings etc i went out again only to realize that my detector was a dud, I was unable to get the Gain above 3.5 even right out in the bush whilst holding the thing up in the air. furthermore every little bump or rock i touched was giving a signal driving me mental.

So I went home and contacted Gold Search Australia the whites distributor for Australia, and I was told that before they could help me i'd have to prove it was a genuine whites..... what why wouldn't it be genuine i said.... apparently there's plenty of fakes around and I had no idea.

Anyway so I was told to put my serial number into the whites site under "is my whites genuine?" tab, funnily enough i had two serial numbers..... one one the unit and one on the sales card not one of them worked. Now bear in mind everything here looks 100% legit i got the sales registration, warranty, dvd's catalog of other products they provide so I couldn't believe this was happening.

So I called whites, had to get up a bit early got the factory first who put me through to head office, finally got to speak with someone in authority who got me to check the coil and there was another mark/number there that he said determined that it was a genuine whites and under warranty(I wont tell you what or where for obvious reasons but PM me and happy to explain where to look). i asked about the serial number search and he said don't worry about that... the chinese are even reproducing real serial numbers now so the feature doesn't work.

So bit of good news with some bad, basically they told me that the company "Detectabizz"(BEWARE) that was selling these in SA was grey importing them so as they are a whites detector they will be covered under warranty, i asked his to put that in writing, so he did.

I got back in touch with gold search this time spoke with Peter who's an absolute champion bloke if you've ever had the delight to meet him and as expected super helpful straight onto whites to get verified that he could fix it, well they came back with a statement that "these numbers are not correct and detectabizz is not a authorized reseller therefore it is not covered..... ahhgghhgg

back to the drawing board, Peter has now sent off the email that came form the top to the distributor to try to override, now just waiting to hear back from Peter...

All the while the bloke who sold it too me had no idea he has offered to refund my purchase if it turns out to be a dud.

Be very careful people, apparently another way to check the GMT as being genuine is to turn the unit on and compare the black sand numbers to the ground numbers if they are both crystal clear you should be right.

Hoping Peter will call me today and say bring it down, downside is i will have to spend some time in Dunolly :)............dammit

yeh it seems that he's moved around a bit, hes ebay profile is closed for violation and theres plenty of bad feedback on his account for non payment i'll give you an update when i know more.

Quick update on the issue - drove out to dunolly to see gold search Australia Peter and Dean thoroughly tested the unit and confirmed it was in fact a genuine unit that has come in illegally. They were able to replace my coil as there was a fault top marks for whites and gold search for standing by their product and offering service even though the unit has come in through the wrong channels. Both Peter and Dean were a gold mine of information on how to setup and use the unit in australian conditions and when I'm ready to invest in a pi detector I will certainly be purchasing throught them.

What I learnt is that no matter what product I buy in the future I will be contacting the service agent prior to making a buying decision as I'm sure this whole situation could have been avoided had a taken the precaution. They told me today that I am one of the very lucky few who have bought a gmt that didn't turn out to be fake.

Buy from an authorized dealer

"turn the unit on and compare the black sand numbers to the ground numbers if they are both crystal clear you should be right. "

would you please explain that to me ?

Golddigg, So the dectector is real "Yes" and it just had a dodgy Cool, ??

You do know that it can see bits that you can't even weigh don't you ?

Glad to see it all worked out for you,

John

skool said:
"turn the unit on and compare the black sand numbers to the ground numbers if they are both crystal clear you should be right. "

would you please explain that to me ?

The GMT has 2 features that tell you what the Ground is doing, 1) it show you the Phase setting , meaning where the ground balance is set to, which will indicate or lead you to where the Black Sand is and 2) the Black sand meter tells you the Black Sand / Mineral content of the Ground showing the user where the highest Black sand concentration Is.

Latest posts