old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really like the look of the ore in that 5th from last photo . did you run a detector over it ?

1467009146_img_4266_zpsw0tz04dkmm.jpg

Over in Sebastopol the ground has dropped revealing a very deep shaft with four drives lower down. The council are going to cap the top with a steel platform to make the area safe. "This mine was begun in 1858 by 120 men who blasted through 100 feet of basalt until they came upon an underground lake. Large pumps were required to drain out the water. No gold was found until they had pierced through the basalt.
In 1865 they found the gutter they were searching for and it became one of the richest gold mines in the world. In one day in 1868 a record yield worth 11,752 pounds was obtained from the No 2 mine. In 1871 miners from the Band of Hope Gold Mine made up the first Redan Football Club."

"Judy Downing" I used to live in Grant Street Sebastopol. Our house was built over a shaft that had been capped in front of the mine entrance. My Great Grandfather worked in that mine. Just at the moment the name escapes me. All the men worked in shifts until one day they got flooded. It was
every man for himself as the water just rushed through so fast. The miners were unable to grab anything and I can remember my Grandmother saying the miners clay pipes were left as the water gushed in. I know she told me what a clay pipe was at the time but I have forgotten that. Their lunch boxes which I believe were metal boxes were left too along with mining carts and all their implements. This mine was on a route from Smythesdale to Creswick before the water over run them. Back then they didn't have pumps to pump the water out but if they had the capacity to get rid of the water it was said it would have been one of the riches reef in Ballarat. Also just remembered about the steele walk in room on the left of the entrance with a huge steele door and lock. We used to play and hide in there all the time. it was actually the locked area where the explosive were kept. Never found any in there though thank god."

The Central Deborah Gold Mine is located at 76 Violet St, Bendigo. The following photos are from the third level of the mine, 85 metres underground. You can explore the underground tunnels, drifts and stope workings that still contain gold veins. Access: Via an industrial lift to Level 2, then climbing 6 sets of 4 metre ladders down to Level 3 and back up again to Level 2.

Hi Dean, was that a guided tour? Went on a tour down to first level about 40 years ago, had the air machinery working to show how noisy and dusty it was; cost a bit back then. Back then they were still working at the 1200 ft level for colour. It still amazes me at what our old timers achieved, and most by hand; puts our young generation to shame with their work ethic.

limpalot said:
It still amazes me at what our old timers achieved, and most by hand; puts our young generation to shame with their work ethic.
Given the right incentives anyone can do anything if needed.
And blame parents for kids with poor work ethics......Us adults are the ones setting the example good and bad .

limpalot said:
Hi Dean, was that a guided tour? Went on a tour down to first level about 40 years ago, had the air machinery working to show how noisy and dusty it was; cost a bit back then. Back then they were still working at the 1200 ft level for colour. It still amazes me at what our old timers achieved, and most by hand; puts our young generation to shame with their work ethic.

It was part of a guided tour.

A selection of photos from three Creswick mines. Due to the wet weather humid conditions were encountered underground effecting the quality of the photography.

Hi dean65
I am a newbie here and came across this thread while attempting to research the Cut throat mine in Creswick.
Can you give me any further info?
Ie. Directions/Co-ords, is it accessible at any stage to the general public?
Thanks very much

belocl7 said:
Hi dean65
I am a newbie here and came across this thread while attempting to research the Cut throat mine in Creswick.
Can you give me any further info?
Ie. Directions/Co-ords, is it accessible at any stage to the general public?
Thanks very much

Both the Cut Throat No. 1 mine & No. 2 are open to the public. You will need to P.M. me for the exact location.

that looks like the water drains are blocked and need a little help to rid the water.. :/ that will help save the timbers from rotting making that area unstable.. :)

a few more again various mines

P1010340 by ,
fruit bat

P1020385 by ,
watch out for those massive spiders :p

P1020328 by

P1020326 by ,
no hard hat dean ?

P1020310 by ,

P1020314 by ,

P1020007 by ,
water seaming through the rock and pyrites oxidizing into rust and calcium stalactites inside the mine

P1010997 by ,
stalactites calcium and pyrite inside a 140 year old mine. stalactites are 140 year old and still growing

P1010988 by ,
orange mud is pyrites reacting with air and water both rust the pyrites and leach them into water witch then quickly turns into a thick mud hence the water table I dug the entrance of this one away a bit to get the water down

P1010950 by
old ladder man way

P1010921 by ,
old ladder man way

P1010884 by ,
stope with side wards pressure note the bent and broken stulls ( props ) from wall to wall

P1010845 by ,
going down

P1010859 by ,
looking down part of a stope

P1010842 by , timberwork

P1010839 by ,
part of a cut and fill stope and ore cute at the end

P1010795 by ,

P1010771 by ,
water filled adit

P1010774 by ,
old ore truck/cart dates back to 1860s

P1010870 by , windlass over a flooded winze at the end of a adit

P1010761 by ,
what's left of a 1 head stamp mill battery ( rock crusher ) used for loam sampling or testing near by reefs for gold

P1010722 by ,
the scary ghost adit ha ha no just tree roots coming down reaching the water

Very nice photo's HTY.
Takes you back to our Yesteryear. :)
I can see the old miners toiling away at the rock faces.
It is incredible how they cut the shafts so straight and square.
Thanks for giving us an in-site as to what went on underground. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts