Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only familiar with the 705 Kezz.

Nuggets over 1gm will be found a lot deeper, would expect to hear a decent slug down to 6" or even more.

if your FNQ nuggets are on the chunkier side or have a foil shape the 705 would perform better than on our NSW goldfields where you may wander for days for a couple of subgramers. We do have a lot of relic sites on our goldfields, and I have met some happy couples that swap machines or one partner just chases relics and have a great time. Others use one machine and take turns supporting the other, sometimes with a rake in hand.

Thanks wally, clermont is closest to me, sounds like further north is better. When i travel south it will be highbanker for gold and gems, but of course detectors will still be in the car cause you never no :) so maybe still lean towards the 705 as it will be new machine..i change my mind like my undies haha..once a week

No doubt a silly question, but how does one rotate the handle strap from the left to the right? The bottom seems to want to rotate but top part appears to be locked in position. I just don't want to break the damn thing.

Any help is appreciated.

1468671262_20160716_221042.jpg

Nugget.

Its not locked in, probably just a tight fit being new, or maybe the foam hand grip is pushed up against it tightly.

Just manipulate / massage / wiggle / push down on the top plastic ring that the strap is attached to to "unlock" it

Thanks heaps guys, I knew it wouldn't be rocket science :8. I'll give that a try shortly :)

Heatho said:
I honestly could never work out why they put it on there in the first place.......

Because it is very handy if you swing for many hours, especially with say 20" coil. If you have your bungee correctly adjusted you can let go of the handle and flex/rest your fingers and guide your swing with open palm. If the strap wasn't there you couldn't do this.

Twisting it did the trick. I guess I was just being a little too cautious at first. Thanks again guys.

Just ordered new xterra 705 from miners den. Getting the gold pack plus cover and headphones thrown in..hopefully here at the end of the week. Then the 4500 when tax man gives me my money back :)

thanks jaros, first item on the list is trying to find a diamond earing she lost in the front yard

Got my detector today :) watched a couple youtube vids.. then straight to the local hall for about an hour for a test.. i found nails,bottle tops,ali can, ali foil and those railway peg things for sleepers oh and ringpulls. Tomorrow i am heading to the beach and hope to find a coin. i'll be happy with a 5c coin just so i know i am doing the right thing. And Nugget the wife dug some holes just so you know haha

Hi Folks.

What are ppls thoughts on a coil for deep seeking gold with a 4500 in the GT? I want to cover ground quickly (not stupidly so) and want to keep ground noise to a minimum so thought a DD coil would be the go.

From my research here and elsewhere I'm thinking of a 15x12 Commander, a 18 Commander or 15/18 inch Detech.

I thought the Detech open coils would be lighter but of course would probably get caught up with sticks and the like.

Just putting the question out there.

Thanks

D

If you are talking deep seeking for Large gold, say 10grams plus, then a big DD in Normal Timing is the go. 18" DD Minelab will give you very good punch and run very stable. 15" DD Detech spiral will give you more sensitivity for smaller gold, so a better all-rounder for patch hunting.

Then you could go for a very big mono, 18" - 22" round, and run in Normal where you can, or Enhance for the hotter soils.

For covering the ground relatively quickly, you definitely want to stay away from Very Slow motion setting. Use Medium if you can, especially with a DD coil.

Recently becoming a GPX4500 owner with the 2015/16 re-introduction, I thought I would start a thread specifically for those running 4500's in 2016 and beyond.

Please feel free to ask for advice, share tips, settings and finds :)

Nugget.

Latest posts