Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations mate. Ive only had my eureka gold for 3 weeks. What settings you use? Stock coil?

Thank you for the kind replies.
To answer your question Triton, I was using the 11" goldsearch coil. Settings were according to the handbook as recommended for best goldfields set up. Signal-Normal, Frequency 20kHz, All metal mode, Threshold, I fiddle with a bit and run it a bit passed just audible, Sensitivity-max., Volume-max., Balance in Fast Track. I have used the standard elliptical coil lots in both 20kHz and 60kHz and I think the standard coil would have found this target as well. It was not deep only about 5cm. and I fancy it was laying gold side up. I will go back and work carefully with both coils as I am now thinking my sluicing and panning spot may have some detecting potential.

Cheers Bob.

Eureka price drop. Now $799. Wonder if there's something new on the horizon.

grubstake said:
SammyJ said:
Eureka price drop. Now $799. Wonder if there's something new on the horizon.

Or maybe it's a result of the effect on the market from the success of the Makro Gold Racer?

Exactly what I was thinking grubstake. Which makes my decision harder. Once my tax return comes in i'll have enough to buy my first detector.
My head hurts.

1467529882_mitten_of_hope.jpg

Hi Wishfull
I am pleased you liked the story. This is the nugget removed from the rock. I think that it would be less than a gram because it does not register on my kitchen scales. It is quite small. I think that I should have left it as a specimen, then I could look at it and imagine how much gold was hidden in the rock. Because of its shape I have named it the "Mitten of Hope" after the famous nugget "The Hand of Faith". Tomorrow I am going out to find the massive nugget, The Glove of Charity".

Cheers Bob.

Hi all,
Finally managed to get out to Durakai today. wasn't lucky enough to find any of that elusive yellow stuff though :) only managed to dig a couple of .22 half casing and .22 lead slugs. strangest thing was a tiny watch battery about an inch down.

Mainly played with the 60khz setting with the standard coil. I found it to be more stable for me running it in fine audio and slow track. sensitivity was generally around the 3'oclock position and threshold about the same.

I found running normal audio the threshold would continually false then drop out for a second or so or just drop and take awhile to recover regardless of threshold setting. also in fast track it had more of a tendency to ping off smaller hotrocks where as in slow track it wouldn't hit them, this to me goes against logic but this is what ive found
but the 60khz setting is still chattery especially in the soil I'm detecting in. just dragging the pick magnet anywhere just ends up been fully covered In dirt.

also just out of curiosity, when I ever so slightly bump (and I mean slightly) the coil either on a rock or tiny tuft of grass is lets out a scream when in the 60khz in the 20khz this isn't as noticeable. just playing at home here, if I give the coil a light squeeze it fully false's with a loud clear signal in 60khz.
is this just the nature of the beast or is there something a bit dodgy in the coil? the connector is tight and there's no loose slack besides the tiny bit to allow for the coil movement :/

I haven't used the discrimination mode on my Eureka Gold as I've had good success without using it.
Anyone think I'll do better using it?

Empty

Short and simple answer. Thanks.

I've always had the thought that there are two primordial physical properties at work here. One is the stuff in the ground and the other is the frequency looking for it. You can tweek the frequency emitter ( metal detector ) but in the end you are still looking for the same stuff just at a deeper level with more expensive units.
Summarising, if you can't tell one signal from another then no particular unit is going to do better than any other with a conglomerate of dials and gauges.

Empty Pockets
The manual says that it is best to search for gold in "all metal mode" with discrimination off. Only turn to discrimination to check a target. Early in the day I dig all targets with out using discrimination. As the day progresses and the junk tally rises I start to use the discrimination on isolated targets but never when generally searching. Large targets like big bolts, railway spikes and horseshoes etc that are very deep are not always recognised as iron at first. Sometimes you need to take six inches off the top before the signal blanks out. Searching with discrimination turned on can be very confusing if there are lots of targets. The threshold blanks then sounds off, it is difficult to tell what is there. So I would say leave the discrimination off until you isolate a target. Personally I prefer to dig most targets unless I am having a really bad junk day and I have a fairly good idea if it is ferrous or non ferrous by the tone of the signal.

Cheers Bob.

bob said:
Empty Pockets
The manual says that it is best to search for gold in "all metal mode" with discrimination off. Only turn to discrimination to check a target. Early in the day I dig all targets with out using discrimination. As the day progresses and the junk tally rises I start to use the discrimination on isolated targets but never when generally searching. Large targets like big bolts, railway spikes and horseshoes etc that are very deep are not always recognised as iron at first. Sometimes you need to take six inches off the top before the signal blanks out. Searching with discrimination turned on can be very confusing if there are lots of targets. The threshold blanks then sounds off, it is difficult to tell what is there. So I would say leave the discrimination off until you isolate a target. Personally I prefer to dig most targets unless I am having a really bad junk day and I have a fairly good idea if it is ferrous or non ferrous by the tone of the signal.

Cheers Bob.

Will do. If it aint broke dont fix it. Its been a ripper detector so far.

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here. A while ago I decided to sell my EG, but after a few unrealistic offers, lack of interest and in light of the recent price drop I've decided to hang on to it.

I also decided to finally bite the bullet and buy the Coiltek 6" Goldseeker and Coiltek 15" WOT Goldseeker coils. So now I have a good VLF that I can use in most areas an most conditions.

Just waiting for the hip mount bag to arrive and then to go and dig some holes. Hopefully some holes with gold in the bottom of them ;)

Cheers,

AU

Latest posts