Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this issue with one of my coils. Have you got another coil to try?
I ended up having the same thing and took it back to the shop I bought it from. They sent it to Minelab who replaced the whole coil because it was faulty, which was surprising since I only used it 2-3 times and was always very careful with using it / storing it.

i have had my 705 for six months Sold the coils it came with n bought 7.5ghz Coiltech 15in coil and a 10.5in 18.75ghz minelab coil this one being the best coil i own it has done wonders so far i have found $605 dollars in coin 2xsix pences n 1X 1933 farthing plus silver rings plus jewelry Love the machine

sorry also a minelab pinpionter makes a hell of a difference saves digging a big hole (fround upon) so use a screw driver in parks

Hi there, Pete here with my 1st post. i've just bought a 705 dual pack after being interested in this hobby/sport for many years. I'll initially be hunting the beaches and parks around Caloundra. So if you need company anytime on the sunny coast, i'm avaialable most of the time and would welcome some practicle advice. There's a steep learning curve ahead!

This post is about a cheap solution to all my gear rolling around in my campervan. A $30 tent pole bag from BCF that is a well balanced and a snug fit for all the bits and pieces i seem to be accumulating. The Minelab and Garrett bags were too short at 50" for me the keep the 705 at working length and i assume it's the same problem for most detectors.

i hope this may help someone
1469912295_bag.jpg

1469912295_bag3.jpg

1469912295_bag4.jpg

Thanks AR. it's a slow and ugly looking thing but great on the inside and has served me well for 9 years now. it's about to start a whole new life with this detecting thing.
The closest bag with extra storage was the Garrett soft case but at only 50" long and , i think $125, it was wrong on both fronts. The universal fit Minelab etc bags were $75. Even though my tent ploe bag isn't padded like the others, it's pretty tough fabric and will be fine for where it's going in my van

1469915684_garrett.jpg

Ill be checking my pole bags I got here as I need a new carry bag too :)
Looks like the beast will give you plenty of comfort on the journeys while hunting gold n gems! Plenty of help here on the forum so don't be shy to join in or ask questions!

i did a lot of lurking on forums and downloaded heaps of videos before taking the plunge and buying the 705DP. i'm just starting to play with my machine and read and reread and try and soak in the manual and watch videos on how it's done. i know that i've just got to put the hours in and i'll be sure to ask for advice here

thanks

G'day Pete and welcome, from another sunshine Coaster, Living over seas, Great Idea using that bag to keep the detector safe,, and you got the perfect truck to go bush and bring home the Gold,

Take Care, John.

paddlepop said:
thanks for the welcome John. as far as bringing home the gold....we can only hope! watch this space

No worries, you should go and have a look up around Kilkivan or Gympie or the other side of the Peachester Range, Gold has been found not far from you so you don't have to travel far, aye.

john

i'd certainly would like to try those areas but i'd hope to go there first time with someone with a bit of experience. unfortunately due to arthritis in various parts i'm going to start with a nice easily dug beach. although a nice nugget just under the surface is on my bucket list

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice . I m thinking of buying a 705 mostly for coins and relic's and also couple trips a year to gold fields . Do I buy a relic / gold combo or can I purchase a relic machine and buy a better gold coil as some members have mentioned throughout the forum.

rilany said:
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice . I m thinking of buying a 705 mostly for coins and relic's and also couple trips a year to gold fields . Do I buy a relic / gold combo or can I purchase a relic machine and buy a better gold coil as some members have mentioned throughout the forum.

Because of the type of use you want it for there are loads of multipurpose machines that will do the job, From the 705 pro pack and the Nokta fors Relic and the Makro Racer 2 and the MXT All Pro and the Garrett AT Gold, or the Minelab Eureka Gold which has 3 frequencies, I would wait for the rest of the guys to chime in because they will know what is best for your Area or the areas you wanna search,

Good Luck,

John.

Thanks it's all new to me only tried gold panning with my son a few months ago.Didn't find any thing except a new hobby appreciate the advice

rilany said:
Thanks it's all new to me only tried gold panning with my son a few months ago.Didn't find any thing except a new hobby appreciate the advice

Well if you like panning some detectors can tell you where to start panning, one is a simple full one Gold machine and the other will cover just about any form of detecting you can think of, There might be a couple of others that can show you where the black sand is and where the sand there is normally Gold near by,

John.

I have a X-Terra 705 does anyone know the best settings to use on the beach. i was in caloundra for a week when i was metal detecting on the beach with the recomended settings i was not finding anything. but i noticed another person metal detecting using a garret ace 200i and they were picking up lots of money.

i have been thinking of getting a garret AT pro but since im only 16 its hard for me to save up for.

Up on the dry sand, manually set your ground balance half way, crank your Sensitivity to 28 and find deep coins!

On the wet sand: activate Beach GB, then put it in Tracking, and lower your sensitivity till the chatter goes away. If you can keep your coil "just" off the sand this helps to keep it stable without needing to drop your Sensitivity very low.

Niether is the ace ...
Ive never used a 705 but it does have more features than the ace ,and is much better suited as phasetech has indicated
Just remember , you cant find what isnt there
Maybe the guy with the ace was just onto a good patch .
Take a few coins with you next time and see if you are able to detect them.
That should assure you that your 705 is very capable and no need to get a different detector
Good luck
If you have any issues , get on here and put it to the group
Plenty of help on here just waiting for questions

Latest posts