Garrett Pro Pointer AT information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I just purchased an AT pinpointer, for the money you almost want it to find all the goodies while you sit back. I'm happy though if all it does is save me time. I find I'm a foot deep on a shallow target because the target keeps moving so I think this will help. I bought a cheaper one, but it affects the detector signal when on. Cant wait plus it's water proof.

Is it a garrett from ebay? there are fake ones, but id like to know which one you got and how well it works, I want a cheap one too :)

It's from ebay, I have seen a fake one for $99 with a IP rating of 66. The real ones from what I have been led to believe are ip68. I would hope it's real it's the same price as a genuine from a shop. There are a couple shops in Australia that have them in stock.

what sensitivity do you guys use your propinter at? i find 3 is too sensitives in almost any area..anyone successful at using sens level 3 most of the time?

Anton

anton said:
what sensitivity do you guys use your propinter at? i find 3 is too sensitives in almost any area..anyone successful at using sens level 3 most of the time?

Anton

Depends on the ground mate, the AT is very sensitive along the shaft as well as the tip so I tend to use it on 1 most of the time. I use it on 3 when goldie hunting when I dont make a hole and just centering a surface coin.

goldwright said:
anton said:

Anton

Depends on the ground mate, the AT is very sensitive along the shaft as well as the tip so I tend to use it on 1 most of the time. I use it on 3 when goldie hunting when I dont make a hole and just centering a surface coin.

cheers for that..yeah, i use mine (coin and jewellery hunting) mainly on 2 (about equal to the old pro pointer) and 3 when conditions allow...

I use mine on setting 3 most of the time, and if I start to get any falsing over mineralised soils, I just retune it to the ground for quiet operation. Great pinpointer so far, I do prefer it over the Whites TRX on most hunts now. :)

Hey Goldpick how do you find the sensitivity of the Garrett over the TRX on small gold nuggets (~.25 gram)? I use the TRX for pinpointing SDC size nuggets in crevices and wonder if the Garrett would get better depth.

Goldpick said:
I use mine on setting 3 most of the time, and if I start to get any falsing over mineralised soils, I just retune it to the ground for quiet operation. Great pinpointer so far, I do prefer it over the Whites TRX on most hunts now. :)

well i have been using the trx for a while now, just got a pro pointer the other day.. i am starting to like the pro pointer, bit of a re learning curve after using the trx..the trx is still the 'deeper' of the 2 tho :)

The Older Whites pin pointer does not suffer from ground issues when the levels are in the Very hot to extreme levels seeing bits weighing 0.091grams seeing them in the 10mm+/- range.

There newer pin pointer all either suffer from ground issues or cross talk with peoples detectors, I asked about that on their forums and was told that it was not an issue, But clearly it is.

John.

orgone500 said:
Hey Goldpick how do you find the sensitivity of the Garrett over the TRX on small gold nuggets (~.25 gram)? I use the TRX for pinpointing SDC size nuggets in crevices and wonder if the Garrett would get better depth.

The TRX is definitely the more sensitive of the two. I don't have a small nugget to try out, instead I ran a small lead .22 projectile tip first up to the end of the pinpointer, the TRX starts clicking over at around 4cms, whereas it will need to be within a cm of the Garrett's tip to register - both on sensitivity setting 3.

Although that sounds good on the part of the TRX, in the real world many ground conditions will dictate the use of sensitivity setting 2 on the TRX to prevent unwanted falsing, and this in turn brings the detection distance to the projectile down to 1-1.5cms, which is pretty close to the Garrett unit. On the upside, at least the TRX has the option of higher sensitivity settings if ground conditions allow it.

If Whites were to install a brighter LED and improve the volume output of the TRX, it would be a much better pinpointer. The Garrett Carrot is streets ahead in both respects if those features are important to the user.

1471611813_img_20160819_224259.jpg

Thanks for the info Goldpick. Looks like the TRX is still king on the small targets. I have the sensitivty on 3 and it does false a little but turning it off and back on or just pressing the button to re-tune usually shuts it up. I don't hunt at night so the led issue doesn't affect me, but I find it annoying when I want to hunt in the silent/vibrate only mode that it still makes the beeps when turning it on and off, and if you leave it on so it doesn't make a noise, it starts beeping with the lost pinpointer mode after a few minutes.

Hi Guys,

I've been battling with the TRX.

My issue

When checking around crevices for a while, the pointer just starts sounding I touch the point on the ground and press the button once quickly, this seems to correct it, then, it just starts sounding even if in the air (as I walk along) or the same if I press a little firmer on the point. Once this starts I need to turn it off and on. I sent it away when fairly new and was told the main board was replaced, yet the same issues continue, I just get frustrated and turn it off.

I would like to be able to use it in a stable way if anyone can pass me any clues.

Kind Regards,

Phantom

Just a few questions, what sensitivity setting are you currently using, as some areas will not play ball with setting 3 or 4? Also what detector are you using (if any), that could be causing some crosstalk between detector and pinpointer?

It's a bit hard to explain, but if you continually leave the TRX turned on, sometimes the pinpointer will just start ticking over on its own accord if set on higher sensitivity settings, just seems to feed off surrounding sources requiring it to be either re-tuned, or switch off/on again.

If you are getting black sands occuring in your crevices, the TRX may also be picking up on them vs true gold targets, just as some reactive ground/rocks may cause the TRX to start sounding off. As you mentioned you can retune the TRX to negate such effects, although it does reduce the sensitivity to the smallest of targets, which won't help when crevicing for small gold. Your only other option is to wind the sensitivity back till it is stable enough to pick up on the gold, whilst not picking up on the surrounding rocks.

You get a similar effect say if in my shed surrounded by electrical interference, where at first the TRX will be quiet on start up, but eventually continually tick over as it picks up on other sources. None of my other pinpointers really have such issues, or just to a lesser degree, in a way it is probably a trade off for having a much more sensitive pinpointer over the other brands. I really don't know why they bothered with a fourth sensitivity setting on the TRX, as it is unusable under most circumstances, even 3 sometimes.

Anyway, just a few things to consider, not sure whether they are the true cause of your issues, just my findings from owning a TRX.

Bought this today $140 used once. 2 year warranty left.
1499415717_rps20170707_182145_688.jpg
I tried it on my biggest gold peice a 0.15 gram. It wouldn't pick it up. So i researched and found a trick from a coin hunter on google. This is what he explained. I turned it on to the highest setting and got a penny and slide it down the pointer until it sounded. Then i slide it back up until the sound stopped. I then tapped it in that position to the pointer. I then pointed it at the nugget and it sounded. But only on the side of the tip. Not the very end of the tip. I have never used one before so I have no idea of its capabilities. Has anyone heard of this before. Thanks

Latest posts