Hello i'm new here! Faceting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably got 4 of the 6 linear guides! They are a bit oversized :) but mwah, a bit of stiffness is always good! The first linear guide for the X axis is 35mm wide and 1500mm (20kg each) long so i need to chop a piece off the second is for my Y axis and is width 30mm and 800mm (10kg each) long, also need to chop a piece off. Probably i can tell you what the overal size for the machine will be only the width and depth around 1200mm x 600mm. Only the base (x & y axis) wil weight at around 100Kg. Stable inaf i think?!

I need to change the steel balls from the 800mm ones... the guy where i buyed it from droped 2 cars from one linear guide... i also misses almost 30 balls... so i need to replace 540 steel balls... 30 euro's extra...

One of the two 800mm 30mm Linear Guide Rails with 2 cars on it, cant hold it with one hand :) Totally backlash free!!!
Img_1829.jpg

*Update*

Woeps, i wanted to order two new bearings 7907C from NSK for my cutting head... uhm 300 euro's each! So i cleaned out my bearings and put them in oil. Didnt thougth about that they can be so expensive. I also ordered some chrome steel balls for my linear guide. Hope that they wil fit. Also still waiting on my second set of linear guides. I hope they will come this week so i can order some aluminium and make a start for building all up!

Please tell me in simple english this time :- ) what should i be awere off for building my machine?! What is about the accuracy from a normal lapidary machine?

Manny thanks,

Christian

Well the best would be for you to try a traditional machine.
Modern machines achieve easily a precision of .1 degree to set an angle, and they cut repetitively to the same angle with a repression of 0.01 degree.

Hello GallicProspector,

Oke, thats about the angle, but i ment more about the overal precission. Lets say a facetron. If i see the device i cant say that the machine has a accuracy of 0.01 but more the accuracy of 0.1mm. So if you cut a stone, you can cut it at 0.01mm but is it all true?! Does the machine not have a disbalance from 0.1? So you can cut at 0.01 but the overal cutted stone has a disbalance of 0.1? if you know what i mean?! If the table is not 100% accurate lets say 94% the disbalance of the stone is 6%.

To order a facetron to try is a bit too expensive now. The parts i need are too expensive to buy also a new facetron :)

Greetings,

Christian

You could look into the " Beale woodley " meter( basically a $5 multimeter) , I used to use one , or what the facette gemmaster 2 use , a strain gauge ( $400) . If you look into them they might give you ideas . You probably know about these, if not , might help with your overall design , I am not an engineer :)but these are both usefull for depth of cut as a " soft stop " the delay when to stop cutting could cause problems , yet could be set sooner . As opposed to a hard stop , seems as it might be more usefull to your aplication .

Hmm ok, thats for the pressure but that is for later if i have the digital & mechanical part is done. But the idea is clear thnx :- )

But i cant inmagine that the overall faceting machine is going under the .05 with the accuracy or would all the parts they use on there machines all be precission parts? It just cant. For example i should buy two new bearings for my cutting head rotation, im not going to buy new ones beqourse i clean them and test them first for backlash. But they cost around 300 euro's each so thats already around 840 UAD for a pair of them only a simpel bearing. It has a error About a few micron but who cares :- ) but a bearing of a few austrailian dollars can never reatch the precission from the 300 euro's one!

But oke maybey i want too mutch lets do so:

Im building up my machine with the understanding that i reatch an accuracy of 0.1 mm. then i have done a greath job! I hope!

Everything else under the 0.1 mm is a gift.

Is that a better idea? I just continue with the thing i do and try my best for getting under the 0.1 but my goal Will be 0.1 in accuracy.

Christian

Ps. Pssst .003 - .007 would be perfect! LoL no first 0.1mm!!!

What I meant with 0.1 degree is that when I set the angle, I can hardly tell if I do 43.25 or 43.35, but when I cut the other facets, they will be at the same angle at the first one +- 0.02 degree, I just do not know what is the exact value of the angle, but all the facets need to be cut at the same depth, and the dial gauge allows me to reach that +-0.02 precision (I am just not sure of the absolute value of the angle - and I don't care, reapetability is the key).

In terms of mm, it is easy to calculate, the distance between the pivot and the stone is about 15cm, so you can calculate what a angle of 0.01degree means in term of displacement at the end of the 15cm arm (I am lazy I let you do the maths).

Thanks!

That is what i want to know! The machine accuracy! That is unknown, the manufactor can say it is 0.1 or 0.01 mm in accuracy but i know with the used parts te normal lapidary can not be that accurate.

So thats why im going for at least for the machine accuracy of 0.1 mm. My reapetability is verry high precise, lower than 0.01 mm. Also that one would i take on 0.1 mm every thing lower then that would be great! :)

Lets go back to my calculations:

Yr: 360 degrees / (200 * [1/4] * 80) = 64000 = 0,005625 degrees per step

So my angel setting would theoretical be 0.006 degrees. Lets say it would also be 0.1 deg in accuracy. Then my mission would be accomplished! :) I just wanted to know what i need to do to get my machine even in accuracy as a standard lapidary :cool:

Sorry for the difficult question i have been asking. I thougth it is just too important to ask.

I have a simple task/test for you all, just out of curiosity. You dont have to do it but im verry curiosity! Take a cheap stone and just make a girdle on it on 90 deg. But Set your machine so that you get a girdle of 5 mm (Machine Settings! As you always do!) if you are done measure the girdle with an digital caliper and tell me what diameter on the caliper is! If your machine is in inches then take 0.2 inch for the girdle! Take a picture of your measurement and post it here :) Im just So curios about the results!

Thanks,

Christian

Wow this whole thread is written in chinese.. i cannot understand any of it but still interesting lol

1468502850_image.jpg
new machine report . By the way , the idea for multimeter is not for pressure , yet depth of cut .

Nice Kingsolomon! That meens that everything is around an accuracy of 0.01 mm! And if i may ask how mutch this machine costs?! (Ultra Tec). I hope i can reach the 0.01. I hope :- ) What is the runout from your cutting head? Dit you measure that?

Thanks!

Christian

KEZZ said:
Wow this whole thread is written in chinese.. i cannot understand any of it but still interesting lol

I should have a better grasp off all the terminology than I do. I just know how to operate one. Might need to engage in some study. Though you don't need to understand all the big words to be able to cut good stones, the more you do the better.

A bloke like yourself would probably pick it up pretty quickly Kezz :)

Hello Lefty!

Hmm there are more people that are looking in this thread then i tougth! :) hehehe. Oke that was all about the accuracy! :) It's time to build witch i can not do yet... first i need to have some parts like my second set of linear guides. And i have to order 3 sets of spindle bearing blocks probably in China... (i dont like China stuff... it always breaks in my hands :) ) Also need to look for a tooling plate... An aluminium plate that has an accuration of +/- 5/1000th of a milimeter... but they are also a bit expensive, i need one for my first turning table. (for the Zr axis). Otherwise i need to flatten it by a another company or so. Becourse i cant flattening by a thousands. So a tooling plate wil be perfect! 400x400x20 mm in size. The baseplate wil be 360 x 240 x 20 mm.

Buyed 3 more ball screw spindles for my machine! Small ones but there fine :) one of them i can use for the spatter chamber or how you call it. I will make a drawing of the base plate and post it. When i got the plate aluminium then i will first cut it in wood for test, if the test on wood is oke i will mill it in aluminium. 20mm is a thick plate and dont want to destroy that large plate.

I thougth about it to make to complete machine out of tooling plates. But the price...

I can tell you about the weigth of the machine, but i thougth i already told ya :) 150kg. Next week i have the house by myself my wife and my daughter are going to her parents and then i got some time to draw the baseplate :)

I also thougth about the cuttinghead unit, i think im going to make it all by myself, i having some problems to set it on my horizontal shaft. And i also see some problems with the motor mountings.

Hmm... :rolleyes: but i will continue! :lol:

Greetings,

Christian

Yes!

The second pair of Linear Guides has arived! 35mm, got some problems with quick rost, the one where i buyed these from had them in the barn... a wooden barn... have clean them all 3 and set them in the oil. All guide cars cleaned and... i dont know what it is but im missing 1 steel ball... But that doesnt have any influence for my machine! I have a normal tin (like a red bull tin) on one of the guide cars so you can see there huge! I think i just need one car for the X (at both sides) and also for the Y shaft. One guide rail is defect... Some one put over the 20 Tons on the machine because there are steel ball marks on the rail... in the middle... But ill cut the rail in two and use only half of it.

Img_1862.jpg

Img_1863.jpg

But im not complaining for 100 euro's ($116,58 AUD) :)

Greetings,

Christian

One more photo, i have put all on the ground, now i can take a look for making my machine base. This is about the base in its total, the rest wil be build upon the rotary table. I hope it will work :) I took one car off, because i dont have my chrome steel balls yet! Weight 100Kg+

Img_1868.jpg

Greetings,

Christian

Plans Changed!

Do have a better plan for building up the robot! By turning the rotary table upside down, with motor up. So that i can start from the ground, thus dont need to use the feets. And i can build it all compacter & less problems with setting up the accuracy. I'f made a photo, but you need to have a bit fantasy to see what i meaning, whats is on the table shoult stand straigth up. These are only the big parts. And not even all parts from the facetting robot but its a setup.

Also the motor you see in the middle is a 3 Newton meter motor but it will be a 8.4Nm or a 12Nm. The linear guide is holding rotor 2 for the facetting arm. At this way i have more play with the machine.

The parts you see, are for horizontal turning, vertical turning and lifting the vertical turntable up to about 100 - 200 mm. Weight 50Kg? if its done.

Took the linear guides apart otherwise im breaking the glass :) :D And i need to chop a piece off the linear guides :D

Photo:

Img_1877.jpg

Greetings,

Christian

My bearing holders arent yet done but hopefully they come this week! Also received all of my end supports for the spindles! Yeah! without paying customs this time! The last time i paid 56 euro's for customs...

I have tried to test my NSK bearings for my rotating axis Zr and Yr im glad with the results!

Testing NSK Super Precision Angular Bearings

[video=1000,794]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZAAYFlwLQ[/video]

I could measure about 3 micron but need to test it at a another way. Ill hope i get a new dail indicator (puppy dial indicator) but couldnt find a good and a affordable one. Also in this testing every movement gives problems on the dail indicator...

Greets,

Christian

Latest posts