Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have extra money to spare then would buy EVO. You can't go wrong, especially if you buy for old stock price

HL just start with the 11 commander mono take your time learn what the detector is telling you .Do not run the rx and gain to high with the target vol use it at about 12 tracking med ,motion slow or v/slow ,audio normal,singal 18, run it in fixed make sure its in enhanced search mode just stay in N sweep slow good luck regards john :)

If you can put the evo on might as well increase your chances while you learn I got 17x13 evo great coils.

Hard Luck said:
So what say you all?

Shall I just get started with the NF Evo since this detector is all new to me and learn to use that or start with the 11" Commander mono.
I'm thinking either way it's going to be a big learning curve.

Go with the Evo. The quicker you find gold the quicker the confidence will come.

OK so after reading everyones input on different detectors i decided to go for the gpx 4500 , but need to wait for this years tax return to invest, I cannot afford two detectors for me and the wife so next question.. Is the xterra 705 ok for a second as it is cheap..Does it do as they say find gold plus coins/relics etc?

I have the GPX5000, also the X-Terra 705. The 705 I have was the combined gold/coin system (3 coils) 1 coil for coin, a 6" and a small elliptical for gold. Have I found gold with it, no.

The main reasons I got the 705 were;

Like you I can't afford 2 GPX machines
I wanted something for the wife to potter around with when she is with me.
I also wanted something for the beach etc.

It will find gold, but it won't find what the 4500 will. I've seen a few very part time prospectors with old el cheapo detectors find gold, it's a matter of walking over the right spot and luck.

Ok thanks for the input condor22 that is exactly what i am talking about :) are you happy with the performance treasure hunting?

If she gets a signal i will push her out of the way and i will have the pick Nugget :)

Nugget said:
Why not just buy her a pick instead :lol:

:lol: :D :lol: Pissing myself laughing Nugget - Now I know why your wife was so fond of your quest for gold ;)

705 is a great relic detector on the goldfields, if you are lucky enough to walk across a reasonable sized nugget it will work as well. The better machines will multiply chances of finding gold by a significant factor. Although I have tested mine on sub gram nuggets my SDC has found and I get a response. I would not be confident of picking them up in the field at more than a couple of cm deep.

Decent sized nuggets dropped in a drunken stuper in a field of nails or a gold sovereign - no problem

Couple of cm is a bit concerning wally...maybe secondhand detector will be the go but then i have to worry about warranty? I originally going for TDI oz series then changed to the gpx 4500 for me..maybe a second hand TDI instead of the xterra 705 would be better for the misses if i can get one cheap enough..Would that be a better way to go you think

Wally69 said:
Nugget said:
Why not just buy her a pick instead :lol:

:lol: :D :lol: Pissing myself laughing Nugget - Now I know why your wife was so fond of your quest for gold ;)

Lol, if only I could get her to tag along, that would be half the battle won.

Good to see your still on the gold with the SDC mate. Will have to arrange another meet at Hill End when things warm up. I wouldn't mind trying my luck out that way with the 4500, hopefully I'll find a little more colour than the last two outings :/

KEZZ said:
But in saying that on my last comment is the TDI ok on coin,relics etc?

IMO, it's a great machine for coin and relics in the right hands.

once again scratching my head..but only on the second detector..gpx 4500 is happening, just need to figure out prices new vs old for second machine and bit more research :)

Latest posts