Deus Lithium Polymer battery packs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
I thought some may be interested to see what powers the Deus coil, control box and headphones, and how remarkable Lithium battery technology is these days. Quite simply, this battery pack is miniscule, it is half the weight of a single AA battery, has a projected lifespan of 3-4 years, and as you may know, is an off the shelf item for Deus owners.

Hopefully other manufacturers look into utilising Lithium batteries for future models, rather than sticking with the typical alkaline or NiMH power sources. Some may disagree and want to stick with AA's for remote work, though the flexibilty of charging options for Lithium batteries does to a degree negate the need for alkaline batteries in such circumstance.

This particular Lithium pack is not derived from XP, it is actually from a third party supplier and offers the exact same specs, weight, product number, and board connector as the original. The main difference is pricing - $20 vs $50-60 from XP, although do keep in mind for warranty purposes, I'd recommend to stick to the factory item (this was purchased purely out of curiosity). :)

1467117232_img_20160626_154616.jpg

1467117250_img_20160626_161727.jpg

Great post GP. Thanks for sharing. They really are amazing little power packs. I get more time detecting with one of those than the 4 x AAs in the At Pro.
I watched a video on Tesla cars the other day. Clever bartery pack using hundreds of small size Lithium batteries, about AA in size, packed in a specific and secret sequence.

Have you replaced a battery in one of you components?

No, haven't had the need to, should have a few years service yet before warranting a replacement. I still get very good hours from my Deus, only requiring a top up every few days. :)

I noticed that some of the US Deus owners who originally imported their detectors in 2010-2011 before dealerships existed, are still on their factory set of lithium batteries. Whilst the life will depend on the amount of use and charges made, all the same, that is still an impressive service life. :eek:

There are a few more aftermarket lithium packs starting to appear for existing detectors, RNB just released such a pack for the AT Pro & Excalibur, though unfortunately they don't offer shipping to Oz, nor have any dealers here.

http://rnb-innovations.com/

I had to replace mine recently. Got the kit from Clegy after trying after market batts. My original battery was not even charging anymore but, in its defence, it had been used flat out since I bought it towards the end of 2013.

In the end the Deus kit is the go because it also comes with a new cover plate to replace the section you need to cut out as well as a tube of liquid silicone that you pump in to ensure you still have a water proof unit. You even get a clamp to hold it all together while the silicone goes off.

I thought I'd just be able to use the cut out piece again with a bit of silicone but the replacement plate is definitely a better fit than the original cut out. Mine has been underwater a few times since replacing the battery and so far so good.

Still haven't had a problem with the remote and headphone batteries and they still hold a good charge.

So the warranty shouldnt be voided, if we replace the batteries within the warranty period, even if water leaks in?

If warranty is a concern, I'd still be sending the coil in for battery changeover, more so with the coil vs the control box & WS4. At least confirm with Clegy if the warranty remains intact if using the DIY kit. Most advice on the UK forums indicates that the coil battery should be replaced by an authorised XP outlet.

Also looks like electronics are completely sealed off from the battery compartment, with just the connector plug and battery to worry about if there is any accidental water ingress.

Shouldn't have to worry about it for a few years yet Rocket. :)

Hi Folks,

The policy really should be that the battery is replaced by an Authorised XP Rep to preserve warranty. It is just common sense to have this policy as anything can happen in a DIY Case.

Regtons in the UK Charge 70 quid for a replacement plus you need to pay postage if you don't live near an outlet. That is close enough to $140 plus postage both ways.

As NO ONE at all lives near me postage of $7.45 each way + Kit $59.95 + $49 for me to do it = Around $125 exercise.

I have to offer this service for in warranty equipment and would prefer it was used, but the kit is easy to install and there is even a video to follow along with.

If you need coil battery replacement then you need to RING ME before doing anything and I'll get you squared away.

Keep in mind I am a human being as well as a scummy detector salesman and if you where to destroy your coil through an honest mistake, though I probably wouldn't give you a free coil I would certainly make sure you where looked after in replacing that coil. I can access second hand/Factory repaired coils, with some notice, so there are options if it all goes pear shaped.

Having said all that.....................

The reality is that 99% of deus users probably won't need a replacement battery during their warranty period. Some will, but most won't have to worry.

I guarantee within 5 years you will own more than one coil and this will also prolong the life of your batteries as you spread the load so to speak.

All I can say is that if your thinking you need replacement batteries then call me please, I don't mind if your using aftermarket I just want you to know the risks and where you stand in a worst case scenario.

Cheers and Thanks for bringing this up GoldPick

P.S The RnB Batteries for ATPro will be here in 4-5 weeks, due to shipping restrictions on Air travel.
They will be in the shop soon on pre-order and I'll make an announcement with more detail.