Old oven door

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this old oven door today. the teknetics G2 gave a solid #78 ID and the door was 62cm deep. strange thing though is when my detector got within 6 inches of it the G2 would go off its nut and the overload light would come on in the display. any ideas what caused that? also any ideas how i can clean this up nicely? the crustation on the back is about 1cm thick.

1376817014_1147746_502913746456820_369341174_o.jpg

1376817045_1147574_502913773123484_991324969_o.jpg

Blistering barnacles, now that's different :lol:

Did you end up keeping it?

Nugget said:

yeah im trying to work out how to clean it up. i might hang it on the shed wall :cool:

about 10 meters away at the same depth i found the wire mesh grate that would go inside to let the ash fall through but it was badly rusted and falling apart.

Very cool find that oven door.
I agree - bung it on the garage wall somewhere. Stuff is good to look at...

Thanks for posting up about the electrolysis - I'm going to give it a go!
Got an old engine I wish to restore/not to mint, but just back to running condition.
Will let ya's know how it goes.

Typical guy, keeping all the old junk. I wonder what your shed looks like lol....Cheers Debra

aadelaidean said:
Typical guy, keeping all the old junk. I wonder what your shed looks like lol....Cheers Debra

junk? come on this it a quality piece of....... ummm well i guess it is junk hahaha but its cool junk!!!! :D :cool:

Nugget said:

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time :lol:

it just goes to show that you never know what you will unearth tomorrow. this was found in my brother inlaws backyard

Paul said:
Found this old oven door today. the teknetics G2 gave a solid #78 ID and the door was 62cm deep. strange thing though is when my detector got within 6 inches of it the G2 would go off its nut and the overload light would come on in the display. any ideas what caused that? also any ideas how i can clean this up nicely? the crustation on the back is about 1cm

Very classy door . Anyone else want to pick its age ?

My punt is before 1840

It's not just a door , it's a work of art and wouldn't have been off an el cheaply poor mans special

It's a keeper .

Let us know if you get an accurate date for it

Overload =exactly that, big chunk of steel overloaded the detector circuit and it went into a protection mode.

Paul said:
Found this old oven door today. the teknetics G2 gave a solid #78 ID and the door was 62cm deep. strange thing though is when my detector got within 6 inches of it the G2 would go off its nut and the overload light would come on in the display. any ideas what caused that? also any ideas how i can clean this up nicely? the crustation on the back is about 1cm thick.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...17014_1147746_502913746456820_369341174_o.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...17045_1147574_502913773123484_991324969_o.jpg

Definately an old oven door ,probably about 1880-1920 ,i have a old sydney made oven (G.Fletcher and Sons Oxford street Paddington )with the exact same door.

The easiest way to clean that is to put it into a mix of 9:1 water/molassas and stir frequently for a few weeks or in a container with a 2 litre bottle of cleaning vinegar from woolies.

I restore old vintage trucks as a hobbie and i never use any rust converters or fancy solutions ,most hotrodders do the same

Paul T

X2 with the molasses.. Have to wait for it to ferment before it will work...mix up the juice in a tub and wait a couple of weeks for it to make the acid that does the work... It will clean your door up dropped in as is... I use more molasses for a stronger mix on very heavy rust.. :D

1405763212_fletcher_amp_sons.jpg
Fletcher & Sons, Oxford Street Sydney, still operate today and located at Hornsby, apart from ovens they also built decorative wrought iron spiral staircases and to my knowledge only ever built 3 with the same man owning all......this one was built in 1850...

What a great find. Agree, would look awesome hanging on the shed wall. Good luck with the electrolysis.

Old fellas told me 50 to 1 with molasses the 1 and water the 50 and that was 40 years ago.
That would have been rainwater they were talking about back then, it might save dollars on the amount you have to use !

Latest posts