Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrDuck said:
RJ, you are a man after my own heart... I love long slow (very slow) cooking, ideally with smoke. Yum!

Am loving this but its making me feel hungry for some strange reason!

Also a big fan of slow cooking and when I get the chance Its nice to turn some of the local pests into a yummy dinner :lol:

1376638062_101_7464_edited_for_g_f.jpg

For ease of use and taste I reckon you can't beat the good old camp oven.
Just giving it a bit of a clean/season.

1376638239_101_7437_edited_for_gf.jpg

The result:

1376638313_101_7467_edited_for_gf.jpg

P.S. The camp oven was buried outside with coals under and of top of it to cook the bunnys and we just cleaned it up on the open fire inside the shearers quarters after cooking and eating. Have photos of the rabbits before they were prepared but thought it best not to "freak out the kiddies" with blood/guts etc :D

Ramjet said:
Thought I would start thread for all the foodies.
Post pics and/or stories of you're culinary efforts :)

To kick off .....
I didn't cook this today but on Australia day.
Smoked ribs for 30 with all the trimmings.

1 Smoker full of Ribs
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1376492656_smoker1.jpg

2 Used the smoker plus 2 Webers to feed the masses
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1376492749_weeks1.jpg

3 Some the finished ribs.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1376492807_ribs.jpg

Hey rod. Awesome looking feed. Maybe you should try this one day ;)

Billy i sure hope you missed the Easter Bunny.

On a different note.
Would you let your kids play with a rabbit that lays chocolate eggs.

Paul said:
Ramjet, what electric motor is that? i am looking at making a spit but am stumped on which motor to use. most the ones i have found i have to gear down to run slowly.

A friends dad has a spit he made & the motor he uses is the drive from a microwave(the motor that turns the plate)
Plenty strong enough, cheap, easy to wire up too. He recons the speed is perfect & easy to fit a shaft to - most being a square drive.

A great way to cook animals is to split the carcass down the back bone so it will lay out flat and fit it between 2 pieces of weld mesh and wire together.. Dig a pit a foot deep and set up some steels or whatever to place the whole thing a foot or so above the ground level.. build a good fire (old hardwood pallets are excellent) and burn the day before (this gets rid of that sour earthy taste and smell) refire it the next day and burn down to mostly coals and not much fire.. Toss it on and turn now and again till cooked.. This is called an Australian split roast and cooks animals much better than a spit.. :) . :p And that goat is no more.. :D

Caravan Fruit Cake. 1x 375grm packet of mixed fruit, 600mm chocolate or iced coffee milk and 2.5 cups SR flour. Soak your fruit in the flavoured milk for 24 hours then mix in the sifted flour and bake at 160 degrees for about 90 minutes. Very easy and makes a great cake. :p

Hey RJ, that's impressive, great crust and cracks on that bread. Looks like a fairly wet dough with a long slow rise. Isit a no-knead recipe, and do you maintain your own starter?

Thought it was a no knead recipe - the bread has a characteristic look to it. This is the same method I use, but for standard bread, not sour dough. Since I have had diabetes, though, I have not been baking bread much!

Kawman's tale of a fire pit reminded me of the last Hungi we did.

First, dig a pit, fill with a huge fire. Add rocks and let them heat over several hours.
Put your food in a metal basket. This one had a full lamb cut up, rolled pork roast plus all the veges and herbs.
Pull some of the rocks out, put basket in, surround with the rocks.
Then cover with banana leaves. ( Foil, a wet planket and tarp will do).
Cover the whole lot with soil.
Drink quantities of your favourite beverage for several hours.
Dig it all up and enjoy.
It is a wonderful flavour. All the fat and juices from the meat covers the veges.

1377277017_hungipit1.jpg

1377277034_hungiraw.jpg

1377277050_hungidone.jpg

Well I have to chime in as I cook Breads and Cakes in our Shuttle Chef (Thermal Cooker) as well as a delicious Spiced Corned Beef cooked in Guinness to go with the Beer damper

1377293980_steamed_beer_damper.jpg

This is a Steamed Beer Damper

1377294068_spiced_corned_beef_2.jpg

This is the Spiced Corned Beef cooked in Guinness

All of this can be cooking either overnight (while you are recovering) or during the day while you are pottering

Takes a lot less work and you can have a wholesome meal every day or just Porridge and a Loaf of Bread cooked over night and ready for Breakfast.

Must say though I spent almost 10 years in PNG and a PIG cooked in the ground with tropical vegetables and coconut was incredible but took atleast 2 days to prepare and produce....mouth was watering pretty hard by dinner time and the beer was flowing strongly to keep the strength up

regards

And of course the carry bag has been designed by ROOTHY to have multiple purposes

1377294646_carry_bag_for_the_shuttle_chef.jpg

This has 26 cans and 2 bottles of wine should the handbrake be with you on the journey

1377295835_uses_for_the_carry_bag.jpg

and of course if you have Grandchildren

regards

Great way to cook.. Don't forget that new earth with all the bacteria ect tastes bad unless the ground has been fully burned to kill the bad taste.. This is the downfall off most ground type cooking.. And there are a lot more things that can be done with your fire when you get fire savy...yum bum...hungry.. :p :p And no I don't eat children.... :8
Ramjet said:
Kawman's tale of a fire pit reminded me of the last Hungi we did.

First, dig a pit, fill with a huge fire. Add rocks and let them heat over several hours.
Put your food in a metal basket. This one had a full lamb cut up, rolled pork roast plus all the veges and herbs.
Pull some of the rocks out, put basket in, surround with the rocks.
Then cover with banana leaves. ( Foil, a wet planket and tarp will do).
Cover the whole lot with soil.
Drink quantities of your favourite beverage for several hours.
Dig it all up and enjoy.
It is a wonderful flavour. All the fat and juices from the meat covers the veges.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1377277017_hungipit1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1377277034_hungiraw.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1377277050_hungidone.jpg

Latest posts