Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry to hear this mate. I cant imagine loosing my dog like that.

Surely even aerial bait setting requires some signage around the area ? Id be chasing it up hard. To me it's not acceptable to bait without thorough awareness of where etc. What if it was someones small child picked it up or worse, whilst doing what you were doing ?

The main problem with aerial baiting is the baits could end up anywhere.

A few years back I arrived in Laverton WA 2 days after 8 tonne of 1080 baits had been dropped around the perimeter of the town. The local cops were advising all dog owners in the caravan park to keep your dog shut in your van because crows were notorious for picking up baits outside of town and flying back to their favourite tree in the park.

A crow is a pretty smart bird and realised that something just wasn't quite right with the meaty morsel and dropped them where they were easily found by a travellers dog.

After seeing a few dogs succumb to 1080 over the years and knowing that my kelpie is a full blown scrounger, I invested in a quality muzzle for her.

Jeff

Sorry to hear mate and a very tough time it is for your family..... 8.(
Just the other day they announced doing a drop of 1080 poison around the Gippsland area for the wild dogs there.

Shit mate - not long home & read this. Sad news, he was a great dog & always good company out detecting too. I know it might be harder but they should bloody make sure they can signpost aerial drop areas with a big buffer zone too or not drop em. :mad:

Vey sad mate...I am telling the missus not to take the pooch on next trip to the Turon...but she is not listening

Thanks everyone for your kind responses, I feel like I have lost a child.
I have been looking for him at every turn today, but no chucky anywhere the kids don't understand
And thanks Baski I don't think going out detection will ever be the same without him, I never thought I would say this but I will really miss him farting in the ute.
Thanks again

Horse said:
Vey sad mate...I am telling the missus not to take the pooch on next trip to the Turon...but she is not listening
You can't stop living your life with your best mate all you can do is be aware of the surounds, I have had dogs all my life and this is the first one I have lost to such a thing, I blame myself for putting chucky in a position out of his control I should have been more vigilant and done some homework or left him at home

Sorry for your loss.

I used to take the little guy everywhere until we saw this one morning

1401010374_dog_bait.jpg

We took him home immediately and he has not been out again - he's not happy

Again sorry for your loss

Sorry to hear mate

They've been laying 1080 down here in Tas for a couple of years now trying to bait foxes, despite the fact that no one's ever provided any proof that we have them down here. Pretty shithouse way to kill an animal if you ask me.

Really sorry for your lose mate. I take my boy out everytime i go detecting, will have to think twice in some areas. RIP Chucky.

Sorry to hear mate, I was out all day with the family and our dog and I mentioned to my wife that I should take our dog next time i go bush, but after hearing the bad news I might just keep her at home. Terrible way to go. RIP

A media release by NSW Department of Primary Industries last month:

14 Apr 2014

More than 90 per cent of wild dogs can be effectively controlled by targeted 1080 aerial baiting programs according to solid scientific evidence gathered in wild dog prone areas of north-eastern NSW.

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) principal research scientist, Peter Fleming, said an optimum bait rate of 40 baits per kilometre delivered close to twice the level of control gained from the currently approved rate - 10 baits per kilometre, which was only 55 per cent effective.

These results have huge and positive implications for livestock producers and wildlife managers, Dr Fleming said. Based on this new evidence, Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority have this month extended the permit to use 40 baits per kilometre for the next 12 months. Aerial baiting plays a significant role in the strategic and target specific management of wild dogs in eastern NSW and clearly use of the optimum bait rate boosts the effectiveness of baiting programs. In the long-term, adoption of the optimum bait rate will ensure that land managers continue to get value for their expenditure and efforts."

The four-year aerial baiting trial was supported by Australian Wool Innovation, NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS), Australian Pest Animal Research Program, Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre and NSW DPI to fortify the effectiveness of wild dog and fox management.

NSW DPIs Vertebrate Pest Research Unit continues to work with landholders, NSW NPWS and Local Land Services (formerly Livestock Health and Pest Authorities) to ensure livestock and local communities are protected from wild dogs.

There has always been a risk that domestic pets will pick up a bait in farming areas and especially in sheep grazing locations, but now that the number of baits dropped have increased by 300%, the risk to non-target animals has increased exponentially.

The chances that your dog will pick up a bait now far outweigh the chances that it wont.

Jeff

If you in WA in and around station country don't take your dog. THERE IS 1080 EVERY WHERE. I has been and still may be dropped by plane, by station station owners or pastoral lease holders by motor bike or vehicle along tracks and dams and watering holes. and once dropped it doesn't just disappear. Your dog will sniff it out just as it would an old bone. And if it does eat it, unless you see it eating it, and are aware of what it is, are near a vet, It,s probably too late. It is such a bad death for an animal that you will want to kill it. I speak from experience, We spent 2 years on a station north of Kalgoorlie, when I realised how many baits were around Kalgoorlie and far north at least' we had strict rules for looking after our dog but not before she had sniffed out an old one on a bush track while being walked on a lead. She didn't eat it thankfully, but that was a small sausage shape. We didn't allow her out of the homestead fence after that unless she was on a lead, we also tried a muzzle for her but it wouldn't fit her short snout. We thought we were fairly safe with here but one day we let our guard down when we visited a nearby station and where told by the manager that there was definitely no baits around his place so we let Midge have a run around. She was chasing mice in the shed amongst the hay. Back at home she started to vomit and you don't want to know the rest but that it was the only time I was sorry that I didn't have a gun. Once the symptoms have started it is mostly too late. I have heard stories about Icapec and vitamin c but Its too big a chance to take any where they use 1080. Midge was a maltese shi tzu cross. We now have maltese shi tzu who travel with us and we look out for those 1080 signs wherever we go. I have olso heard that crows can pick them up and fly off with it and drop it else where. I think this is quite possible because I saw a crow drop a yellow plastic star picked protector from a tree once. so where is your dog safe from 1080? Maybe not even in your back yard. I heard that the people on Lakeway Station lost a dog to a bait dropped by a crow when we where over there. There are a number of ways the baits are used but the ones I saw was sausage shaped or like a dried skinless piece of meat.

I've read a few misconceptions on here, so here's the gen on 1080

Can be ground baited as close as 5 metres from inside boundary fence, 150 metres from habitation for foxes - normally 500 metres for dogs, pigs and rabbits. 10 metres from water supplies, and with rabbits, 5 metres from a public road.

Sodium Monoflouroacetate is 1080.

Naturally found in W.A., N.T., and Northern Queensland.

Found in over 35 plant species - Gastrolobium, Oxylobium, some acacias and Gidgee.

Most native fauna have evolved tolerances to it.

It can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin.

No known cure.

Foxes can run a kilometer with a bait, then cache it.

If animal is lightly dosed, Bi-carb of Soda might help.

LD50. Foxes 0.6mg. Bandicoot 8.6mg. Wedgtailed Eagle 29.5 mg

Best method of dispersal is an M44 Ejector - small species cannot trigger device.

Any bait found on the ground rather than buried is from aerial baiting - remove dogs immediately.

Jon Mullen, pesticide applicator AQF level 3,

I put this up a week ago in another thread ,

Just a heads up for Nsw , the mass baiting of 10s of thousands of hectares for foxes starts next week , entry gates into properties will be displaying signs but dont risk it as you may come across the back fence of a property in the bush and if theres no gates there will be no signs .

If a dog eats 1080 you have to get it to a vet within an hour , if your real worried and cant leave your dogs at home , carry washing soda crystals with you so if you see your dog eat it force feed the crystals which will make the dog vomit .

Baits are usaully buried 1 inch under the surface usuaully by one blow with a mattoch and the sod placed back so it looks normal , this is to stop birds scratching them out when scratching at loose dirt.
Baits can be sheep tongues chicken wings or sausages.

1080 is a non target specific poison ,it kills all that ingest it, either directly or indirectly, so put out the 1080 carrot bait,, the rabbits eat it and anything else that likes a carrot , and it dies, then along come a crow , or other bird , eats the dead rabbit, it dies, then along comes the fox, eats a free meal, and it dies , so does the feral cat , the wild dog , anything animal or reptile linked in the food chain is a potential victim for 1080, I have been in areas where the 1080 signs are out and theres not been a sign of any living animals about, a very potent poison

backcreek said:
My mate baits his farm to keep the foxes down because they take the kid goats just after birth even though they have alpacas guarding the mob. The does are hopeless in guarding their young.
He has to jump through hoops to get the 1080 chicken heads.
Up go the signs on the gates and fences then every head has to be marked with a flag on a stick and those not taken, I think in a fortnight, have to be dug up and returned.
It knocks the foxes over that's for sure.
Tell him to get some Mareema sheep dogs, problem solved, 100 times better than Alpacas.

Latest posts