Northern Territory Prospectors and Detectorists Association Inc. info

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrub therapy! That's awesome. My advice would be to trademark that!

I second gcause on the grey in black and would advice to take away the dark background altogether. Light type on a dark background is very hard to read or stay focused on for many people. It has shown to be very tiring on the eyes and viewers are easily distracted. If you want to convey a lot of information through text, the best way to go is a light grey, near white or cool blue background with black or dark slate grey sans serif* type. That's the professional view.

My personal opinion is that websites designed on a background image or pattern look (very out)dated (sorry). These types of websites were popular in the early days of the internet, but have since become obsolete. The problem with this type of design is that people will look through once, recognise it as an amateur attempt (again, sorry, I honestly don't mean to be offensive or ridicule your effort), get distracted and won't come back.

Don't take the above personal. As a former graphic- and webdesigner I know how hard it is to get going, get it right and deal with all the aspects of webdesign. Nobody ever got this part of designing right from the get go. Website design is a completely different game then your run of the mill hard copy designs. You just have to start somewhere and wait for the comments and criticism to pour in. And then be vigilant that the whole project doesn't become a 'design by committee' thing.

I'll make amends on all the above criticism and offer you some help on copywriting and design basics. My knowledge is somewhat limited though; I haven't designed a site since the advent of mobile internet use. I do however have a solid background in design and usability, and as the foundations of these tend to be fairly stable I may be of some help.

* sans serif: a form of type without the lines on the end of a stroke (sans = without, serif = slant or stripe): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans-serif

similar story here, its no where near as easy as it seems, having said that, Iv'e never been so optimistic since I was chasing skirt in my teens and tuna in my 30,s! LOL.
Finding plenty of great land and found some of the most beautiful spots in the NT.

Hi there madbarbi, I'm from Alice Springs, I've been prospecting and detecting in and around Central Oz for around 15 years. How's that SDC treating you?
Jim

Latest posts