Unknown coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anybody identify this coin that I found in rural Queensland, in the middle of nowhere.
It is smaller than a 3pence with a square hole in the middle. It appears to have oriental writing on both sides.
Looks Chinese, but I have never heard of one this small.
Using the Deus, it came up with quite a powerful.
signal but the numbers were all over the place.
It is about 1/3rd the size of a $2 coin and slightly smaller than a 3 pence.
Sorry, but I cant work out how to inlude photos. I have taken some, imported them into my Computor, but cannot work out how to include them in this blog.

Hi Trev, you will find a few options for posting photos in here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=51

I've also just stickied a couple of Chinese coin identification sites at the top of this section for your reference. I hope you can track your coin down, but it does sound rather small. Could be a slight possibility that it might be a charm, and not a coin, anyway see how you go. :)

Still trying to post photos.
I,ll see my sister over the weekend. She will show me how to post them.

trev111 said:
Still trying to post photos.
I,ll see my sister over the weekend. She will show me how to post them.

hi trev, use the image button cobber.... then select OPTION 2 in the little window that opens, 'tis easy.

1464313014_screen_shot_2016-05-27_at_11.34.29_am.png

At this stage Trev it's better than a fancy washer at least. :p
I usually take a photo with a camera that looks twice as small as what I'm after, then I zoom in to 2 point zero ie: 2.0, that way it looks as big as I want( 2 bigger than I took) :D when I crop it, and it loads up perfectly onto PA.

Definitely a Chinese coin, albeit a very small one. Just need a clearer pic of the characters on both sides to identify the period. :)

Finally identified the coin.
It is what is called a Decarated coin, dated 1850 to 1860.
It was used to be worn around the neck or on their person m, perhaps fdor good luck????

Latest posts