Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
Thanks for the feedback Heatho. The headphones have a bit of a running in period, and actually get a bit louder/crisper over time.

With the SDC, I've always run on thresh 4. I find that threshold 3 is where it just comes in, but on threshold 4 it seems to smooth out the background noise that bit better and targets stand out nicer. This is with headphones or boosters.

Cheers

No worries Nenad, I really like them, would have got more nugs for sure if I got the coil over them. I'll try and use them a bit on my CTX to help them run in a bit, I probably used them for say 24 hours over 4 days so far.

I guess after putting the Gogs on they made me want to naturally just up the threshold to 4 so that's a good thing too now I realise, I've usually run on 3 in the past so thanks, that is a great tip about smoothing out the background noise.

i think there is a bloke who makes the Gog headphones in the UK? not sure if they are ones you made, but a lot of people rate them well

Sa_bogan said:
i think there is a bloke who makes the Gog headphones in the UK? not sure if they are ones you made, but a lot of people rate them well

They would be good for beach hunting Bogan as they really seal off the outside noise with the extra thick padding, would be perfect for getting rid of the sound of waves, while wearing them you almost feel like your in a music studio vocal isolation booth.

Sa_bogan said:

Yes, Gordon Heritage makes them for me in the UK.

I have been using the Nugget Buster NDT's (No Down Time) and the Grey Ghost NDTs which come with a spare lead and duel Volume knobs, At present I am using the White's pro Starts which are the same but Black in colour with a fixed lead, I have been using the NDTs for about 8 years without one failure, and having that spare lead is a real Bonus.

Apart from the colours the NB's are olive green and the GG's are Grey the only difference is the GG's have a noise limiter in them to stop you getting your Ears blown off when you hit a big target but personally I prefer the Nugget Buster's because there is nothing in the signal path,

If you are using machines with Tone ID then these are about as good as you can get, The Koss 30s hide to many faint signals and colour the Sound and you loose a lot of the Detectors signal response,

john.

If your looking at Sennheiser the HD558, HD598 & HD-280 Pro all get good reviews from detectorists at around the same price give or take a bit. Those ones above, Momentums, look a bit "light" for detecting at that price - I'd be wanting something more robust.
Keep in mind good "sound" headphones may not be built to handle detecting conditions & "detecting" headphones may not be built with top quality sound in mind - more robust/practical.
I just got a set of Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's to try on a forum members recommendation as well as seeing good reviews from other detectorists. I'm not a headphones fan so will see how they go but for $139 they look reasonably robust & comfortable for all day use. Apparently the sound is terrific also.

Ive tried the ss300, s and they are awsome, but was considering going wireless, as I tend to tangle occasionallY

Sorry didn't realise they were the wireless model. They usually retail for $500-600.
Another option for wireless is to get some wireless modules like PhaseTech sells:
http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/deteknix-wirefree-kit/
The beauty of these is you can use any headphones (or an external speaker/booster set up too) you wish, like the SS300's, if they are preferred & still be wireless. I have some lightweight Avantree wireless modules that I'll most likely set up for the headphones but can also use the WM12 wireless module on the GPZ. Wireless is definitely the way to go!

Was a bit worried that wireless phones might contribute to EMI, and I reckon the NF evo, s are a bit prone to emi in my area, just adding 1 + 1 and coming up with 3!

Could be a possibility - I've never used any wireless system on the GPX's only SD, GP, SDC & GPZ which none of had any problems. I can find examples of people using wireless systems without issue on the GPX's but nothing about the Sennheiser Momentums. There was a member on here that did have an issue with a set of wireless headphones sending his 5000 crazy but it was awhile ago now & I can't remember the brand etc. Might be best to find something that others have used & know they work without issue?
Goldwright on here uses the Avantree Saturn Pro low latency units on his GPX5000:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15567
Hopefully Nenad or others that may be using wireless on a GPX will chime in. I'd assume Nenad would have tried the Deteknix units & maybe the Deteknix wireless headphones on a GPX? + others would be using other types that work?

I'm starting to get all my gear together and I would like a bit of info on the better headphones. Friends of mine have suggested ones from WA I think they are called Nuggrt busters and I did see an item in G J and treasure that detector mods have made a special set for metal detecting. I wanted something a bit better than the ones that come with the detectors. My hearing is not good and I am an old fart 72, any suggestions from people more qualified than me would help a lot,
Many thanks.

Leroy said:
I'm starting to get all my gear together and I would like a bit of info on the better headphones. Friends of mine have suggested ones from WA I think they are called Nuggrt busters and I did see an item in G J and treasure that detector mods have made a special set for metal detecting. I wanted something a bit better than the ones that come with the detectors. My hearing is not good and I am an old fart 72, any suggestions from people more qualified than me would help a lot,
Many thanks.
After complaining and putting up with the crap headphones that come with the sdcs Leroy i bit the bullet and bought a pair of Sunray Gold headphones from nenad. They are great imo and well and truly worth the money.
No doubt someone who is more computer literate than me will post a link you can look at here soon hopefully.

Not sure that Nenad is selling the Sunrays anymore (Maybe he's just out of stock.). But I picked up a pair of his custom Goggs. Great fit and a clear sound, drowns out a lot of the outside noise so you can concentrate on what the detector is doing. And with the sdc adapter it gives you plenty of length so your not stretching the cable like with the standard KOSS.

There's no volume adjustment, but I've found so far that it hasn't really been required (getting rid of the outside noise is a majority of the battle).

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/gogphones/

Firstly I'll say straight off the bat I'm not & never have been a fan of headphones. I don't like using them but in saying that I've only ever really used the Koss UR-30's.
Recently I've decided to give headphones another go especially in windy or otherwise noisey conditions so wanted to get a good set. I did a fair bit of research & found that people were using &/or recommended a variety of different types from 32ohm to 150ohm.
Some of the more popular ones were of course the "detecting" phones like Nugget Buster, Grey Ghost, Black Widow etc. One comment I did find with these detecting type phones was they are built rugged with detecting in mind but may not necessarily be the best sound quality. These are generally 150ohm headphones. Having never used them I can't personally comment but at over $200 this was a comment or factor I considered. Heatho on this forum is also using the Gog headphones from Nenad & seemed to be impressed with them on a recent local trip & quick catch up. I'm sure he'll add more here about how he finds the sound etc. but as he comes from a professional sound background him being impressed with them is a good recommendation for them. I very nearly went with the Gog headphones but being a tight ass went for some other recommended ones that were cheaper as per below.
A "sound" specific brand that I found has a bit of a following in various detecting circles was Sennheiser. I found some gold detectorists in Australia were using the 50 ohm HD558 & HD598's & were very happy with them. I also caught up with Syndyne from the forum recently & he was using the Sennheiser HD-280's @ 64 ohm with success. They sounded pretty good to me & are well built/rugged enough for detecting + very comfortable being designed for studio use. They are also designed for quality sound & good noise attenuation for high noise environments. They have a long curly lead too. http://en-au.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro
After some more research & finding that the HD-280's had some good reviews from other detectorists also I ended up deciding to go with them. I got mine delivered for $139.
I think headphones are one of those things that you can get a lot of different opinions & nobody's right or wrong. Even the Koss UR-30's have people that find them quite alright but I didn't. I'm hoping the HD-280's pan out ok?
As you say your hearings not the best trying a few different types may be best if possible. You may need to match the headphones to your hearing rather than what others find works best for them detecting?

If "your hearings not the best trying a few different types may be best if possible. You may need to match the headphones to your hearing rather than what others find works best for them detecting?"

So many forget that important fact....

Our ears and hearing range is all different...

I like mbasko am a tight arse and while I would love to get a new set of headphones, the adaptor cable requured for an sdc at $108 seems a bit steep. Anyone know of any cheaper solution?
Bob

Thank you everybody, what I will do is borrow a couple try them on both the sdc and the 5000 and I will post how I personally felt they performed. The weather is a bit damp at the moment but I hope to be out in the next couple of days. I'll be going to the burn at Amherst and a bit of a look in havelock. The cook and I like Maryborough already it's central and we can walk into town anytime. Coiltek is just down the road so that can be very helpful.
Thanks again,
Leroy.

maxwell4 said:
I like mbasko am a tight arse and while I would love to get a new set of headphones, the adaptor cable requured for an sdc at $108 seems a bit steep. Anyone know of any cheaper solution?
Bob

I think Nenad (Phase Technical) is the only one doing the adaptor cable and would say it's the price of the special connector that dictates the price.
Sunray gold headphones also and very happy with them ....................... volume control is handy when using on the SDC and also being able to balance left and right volume. Another feature that's good to have is there is no left and right so no matter which side you swing the detector no need to have the audio lead across your body just have lead as suitable .