Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I agree the 23 is a great machine. As for a packaged saleable item with premium price tag. The battery issue is the only reason Minelab are receiving negative comments and so they should imo. It's like buying a new car with 4 flat tyres sure it will travel but you will have problems.

If you were told prior to purchase by the sales person that your going to have issues with the batteries Minelab supply would you happily pay the asking price. If you answer yes you obviously have to much money no one in their right mind would accept that I hope. I doubt anyone will hear that from a sales person prior to handing over their hard earned money.

I tried some larger, heavy set nipples to power my 2300 but it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

1464173878_image.jpg

RM Outback said:
Yep I agree the 23 is a great machine. As for a packaged saleable item with premium price tag. The battery issue is the only reason Minelab are receiving negative comments and so they should imo. It's like buying a new car with 4 flat tyres sure it will travel but you will have problems.

If you were told prior to purchase by the sales person that your going to have issues with the batteries Minelab supply would you happily pay the asking price. If you answer yes you obviously have to much money no one in their right mind would accept that I hope. I doubt anyone will hear that from a sales person prior to handing over their hard earned money.

1: As I said, if they supplied it with no batteries at all and you had to buy your own you would not be complaining about the SDC2300. Also as I said, if you are careful to put the battery cap on "properly" you will not get the shutdown problem.

2: And yes if the sales guy said that there are issues with the suppled batteries I'd still pay as the detector is awesome, the batteries are at most $20 each, buy some different ones..... Assuming someone has too much money because they accept the unit with the supplied batteries is making an assumption which is totally invalid. Now refer back to comment 1: ;)

3: Originally the SDC2300 was $3995, it is now $500 less, that's a $500 saving you can buy some better batteries with.

I was one of the first buyers of an SDC and some problems are only ever found after release and extensive real world testing in the field, the shutdown problem bothered me until I worked out why it was happening. Now it doesn't happen. Someone would have to be pretty tight to knock back a $3500 purchase due to the $80 worth of supplied batteries, there are numerous brands, pretty simple and cheap to buy a different brand.

The guy I purchased mine off told me about the battery issue and the quick fix, can't say I have had a problem With my batteries rattling but did get a 'minelab recommends you don't transport your batteries in the machine' advice back with a recent service to avoid poor battery contact resulting from repetitive vibration.

I have it on good ... or poor advice that the minelab marketing team has been spotted at their their last open day making sure the message has got out on battery care. ;)

1464252714_image.jpg

I get it Heatho and agree with you in part. All Minelab need to do if they haven't already is change the batteries they supply = problem solved for any new buyers. This topic wouldn't be here otherwise.

Spot on Scrounger bigger nipples = more play time = happy days :D

RM Outback said:
I get it Heatho and agree with you in part. All Minelab need to do if they haven't already is change the batteries they supply = problem solved for any new buyers. This topic wouldn't be here otherwise.

Spot on Scrounger bigger nipples = more play time = happy days :D

Totally agree, they must have bought a crap load of them and just had to use them. Pity they they didn't get better ones to start with.

Heatho said:
Totally agree, they must have bought a crap load of them and just had to use them. Pity they they didn't get better ones to start with.

Certainly CRAP no doubt about it

RM Outback said:
Heatho said:

Certainly CRAP no doubt about it

No point in taking what I said 100% out of context, they are your words not mine. They do the job fine, though better ones could have been supplied.

Enough sour grapes I think your point has been made.

"pretty simple and cheap to buy a different brand."
Have to agree ..................... put some Accu Power in the first week and have never used the supplied one's since that came with machine. Tried the Dick Smith one's and again no problem and they were on the super special at about 2 bucks each I think. Best part for me is apart from that small and easy fixed gliche the machines a gem in so many aspects I certainly have no regrets in purchasing it.
:)

I'm looking at getting the Missus and myself an SDC 2300 soon, now my brother in law said he saw on Face Book that there is a bloke selling them new in the box for $3000 over in Perth. Has anyone heard of this ? I'm not on F/B and don't want to be. The problem I have with getting one from Perth is that it's a long hike if something goes wrong with it as I'm in S.A. I would rather get one from Adelaide but they are $3500 that's a fair difference.

Any advice appreciated.

I'd stick to registered Minelab dealers if buying new. Not saying that the "bloke in Perth" isn't one or the price isn't right but if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Just a heads up that there are fakes getting around. Some have been found to be painted F3 compact mine detectors no doubt cheaply purchased surplus. The graphics etc. look pretty good but the peeling paint & use of GDC instead of SDC in the name is a dead giveaway - plus no MPF performance.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2199-sdc-2300-fake/

Wishfull said:
I'm looking at getting the Missus and myself an SDC 2300 soon, now my brother in law said he saw on Face Book that there is a bloke selling them new in the box for $3000 over in Perth. Has anyone heard of this ? I'm not on F/B and don't want to be. The problem I have with getting one from Perth is that it's a long hike if something goes wrong with it as I'm in S.A. I would rather get one from Adelaide but they are $3500 that's a fair difference.
Any advice appreciated.

Unless you can confirm that the source is a an authorised Minelab dealer (pretty unlikely at that price), I'd be very, very careful about a deal like this if I were you.

I've heard a rumour of counterfeit Chinese SDC's (and Garrett ATX's!), but haven't seen any confirmation as yet - this deal could be those. There has also been a recent attempt to disguise a Minelab F3 mine detector and pass it off as an SDC on eBay: http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2199-sdc-2300-fake/

If it were me I'd buy local the extra $500.00 for confidence in the purchase and in the field is worth every cent in my book, gold & money = hard work

Wishfull said:
Mmm thanks guys. It's like the saying I guess, If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

One on ebay over 12 months old went for over 3K so as has been said $500 for an extra years warranty and spankers from a reputable dealer ya can't go wrong :cool: (I realize the one you were looking at for 3K was new ..................... new but dubious perhaps) ;)
I'm not sure why people pay so much as in so close to new price ? I'd buy one second hand but would have to be $2500 or under before I'd even consider.
Each to their own I guess ?

All depends whats with it i.e. if you got one in good condition with a couple of years warranty left that had the PhaseTech lead, spare battery set/s, booster/speaker, protective covers, hard or soft case etc. then around $3k probably not too bad & still $500 or so in ya wallet depending on what the dealer throws in (although theres some good dealer packages around now too).
I sold mine for around $2600 with the above extras about 6 months ago. It had about 18 months warranty left & was still in good condition but was well used :D I was ok with that price & the buyer was too.

Latest posts