GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its just this area. Runs awesome elsewhere. Ahh well. Will have to persist with it until these little bits stop showing up and then move on.

Maybe the EMI is a "reverse curse" (I will patent that expression) that has kept everyone from your spot and you should be thankful. ;) Either way, hope it never runs dry for you - love your pics :)

LC76 said:
Got this one today at 28cm / 11 inches deep
With same settings i posted the other day

Sense 12
HY/GEN
Difficult
Volume 10 with headphones
Smoothing off
Threshold 24
Pitch 28
Volume Limit 3

I was using High Yield this time and it made a very subtle downward sweeping woooo noise that seemed to move a few times until i got right down to it then it screamed........and i smiled :D
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/LDC76/IMAG0347_zpsfdbii32i.jpg

Hi LC - tried your settings (or most of) today. Hadn't used headphones on the GPZ before so thought I'd give them a go as a starting point. Worked well & I picked up 5 bits. Thanks for putting them up it saved me some time mucking around with more settings. They look like keepers :)
I used:
Sense 14-15
HY mostly (fossicking on old diggings today not prospecting :D )
Difficult
Volume 10 with headphones
Smoothing off
Threshold 23 - left as I had it
Pitch 56 I think - left it where it was as I'm used to it
Volume Limit 3

Mbasko, if you are using headphones, and suffering from a bit of EMI, try these settings:

Sens: 16-18 with High Yield, or 12-14 with General
Difficult
Volume: 13 w/headphones
Smoothing: HIGH
Threshold: 27

They do they job for me

Agreed mbasko, I normally just lick a rock to test the mineralization.
Your detector will tell you if its highly mineralized mate. I've also found the more red the dirt and ironstone the hotter the ground. There's is obviously exceptions to this but that's what I've found in a nutshell. Areas that have a lot of ironstone are generally pretty 'hot' and noisy.

walshie1000 said:
Thanks phasetech. I did notice that now you mention it. Lucky im in the habbit of overlapping from using monos on the gpx. I did try to manually tune and the spikes seemed to be coming in on every channel. Its a strange area, never experienced this elsewhere.
Heres a pic of the pieces, i stopped counting at 30. Or should i say lost count lol

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4955/1464164868_rps20160522_200550.jpg

Walshie your in Vic correct ? I'm not asking where you go just that you have more finds in one outing than what I experienced ten people get in 10 weeks out of Clermont ? Amazing and very envious ;)
Nenad back home and all worked like a treat, the Deteknix cordless head set came in handy and also worked without a gliche on the SDC when the winds came up and made it hard to hear. Thanks again for your help.
Cheers

Does anybody know the release date for the new GPZ19 coil? I see a minelab ad for them in the new ggt mag but searching suppliers websites no one is selling them yet?

The father in law and I are heading up to the north qld gold fields in just over a week, I'm sure he'd love to get his hands on one before we go.

Cheers
M3

Yeah I'm in vic bogger. I have been pretty lucky lately. Lots of small stuff and a few decent bits. I'm happy to share info mate and just like everyone else on here I have come home empty handed a few times since I started a little over a year ago.
This new coil is going to unearth some bangers i reckon. I wouldn't be able to swing it at most of the places I go so I don't think I'll be getting one.

The main volume on 1 is interesting, don't know about running the volume limit to 20 it might blow your eardrum out if you hit a big target lol. i've never tried playing around to much with the volume limit but i will give it a go and i always have my threshold up high on 32,Pitch on 54 and in General.
Im heading out tomorrow for a couple of hrs i will give it go mbasko.

Let us know how you go. I'm not sure when I'll get out again with the rain & school holidays but hopefully soon.
I haven't played with the volume limit much either but did see something awhile ago where there was some thinking that it had more or better control over the volume than the main volume & should have been on the first page?
To be honest I'm finding it pretty stable running now up to sensitivity of around 15. Haven't tried pumping it up any higher though.

Yeah i run my sensitivity also on 15. I have tried running the threshold on 1 and sens on 20 but didn't like it.
Im heading straight out after work so i will see how it goes mate.

I am running the Z pretty much flat out these days with very good success. I run in General most of the time now as it gets rid of quite a bit of the ground noise the High yield does not. We have been running on Extra Deep quite a bit of late too, this really cleans up the EMI and tends to get rid of ground noise better than HY and General and have started using Threshold level to control the spikes and chatter. As Norvic has suggested Extra Deep will not get every sub grammer but it cleans up the target response and gets rid of the warble and makes for easier pin pointing. We are slowly getting confident using Extra Deep and I for one don't believe it is only for bigger pieces at depth if used correctly. The Z may talk quite a lot on these settings but it also hits a target hard. The Z is really good at giving feedback on the ground beneath the coil without hiding targets something the Z does way better than the X's, and learning what the Z is telling you I feel is quite a bit more important than settings once confident with the Z in your hands.

My settings

Tracking-Manual depending on the day or rocky ground cover.
General
Difficult
Sensitivity 20
Smoothing off
Threshold 4-18 depending on the day but mostly 10
Volume 20
Volume Limit 15-20 depending on the day but mostly 20

Yeah i tried the main volume on 1 and the volume limit on 20 but the sound was muffled, didn't like mbasko. With the headphones i have the main volume on 12 and the same with the limit. I tried HY and i found 2 tiny bits, i switched it to general but i could barely hear it and i always run in general so i reckon i've probably missed a lot of the smaller gold. Goldwright i've tried using the sens on 20 but its just to noisey were i detect, i usually run it around 14,15 but with all the rain we have been getting i had to turn it down to 10 and anyone using with smoothing on are definitely missing gold, i've tried it on test targets and i couldn't hear a thing compared with it off.

I have my settings at
General, difficult, sens 15, smoothing off, threshold 32 threshold pitch 52, volume 12, volume limit 12 and auto ground balance.
Sum might think i run my threshold to high but i've done a lot of tests on different size nuggets and theses settings feel best for me but everyone is different, its just personal preference.

Hi SC75.
I run my 7000 pretty much the same as you, but with a couple of minor changes: threshold 23 and smoothing low. Smoothing on and off is a bit like robbing peter to pay Paul in that on quite a number of occasions having located iffy targets with smoothing low and then checking with it off the targets were near impossible to hear through the noise/chatter, they were very quiet signals. As you commented, everybody has their preferences for the ground they swing over. In all probability I have missed some targets by running smoothing low but on the other hand picked up some that would have been missed due to background noise with smoothing off, just my observations over the past 15 months.
Keep swinging the 7K it's a magic machine and should improve still further if we can ever get our hands on the new 19" coil that MineLab have been talking about since April 11 this year.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hi fellow prospectors

I have finally made it to WA after months of planning and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!. I have now been prospecting for 8 days solid, and what a blast of a time the trip has so far been, more then I had hoped and I am so full of life/bubbling like a 10 year old, can't wait for daylight to break and start detecting in the bush. I have so far found just under 3 ounces [Thanks BRITEX for the Gold price hike] and it has been a real eye opener compared to finding Gold in Victoria, so much easier when I compare the number of hours I put in in Vic compared to WA for the gold finds. The picture contains 44 grams of nuggets [middle section] and is surrounded by approximately 40 grams of gold in ironstone.

1468133186_marks_happy_gpz.jpg

The Z is killing it and I have found some nice speckies at over 400mm deep so very happy and nuggets right down to .03g. I have settled on HY/Diff and a Sen of 13, Smoothing Off, Volume 2, Volume Limit 4 and the machine has been running sweet, EMI is basically non existent however the Mineralisation has been really bad. I am now glad that I upgraded to the Z before going to the West and so far it has paid off. At the moment I am rained in at Sandstone with all dirt roads closed so have decided to take some R&R and wait for the roads to dry. I keep my fingers crossed that the rest of the trip is as rewarding and cant wait to get back out in the bush I love so much.

All the Best

Tryhard

Latest posts