Gold Racer in the Field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Video Nenad, I must admit I prefer that high tone compared to the GMTs Buzzing, Is that coil the DD ? and do you think the SDC would have seen that long bit you found,

Thanks for posting mate, That's Inspiring for sure.

John

John, the low default tone on the GR sounds more like the GMT. The high tone is definitely zippier. Yeah was using the stock DD. Have sone concentrics here hut haven't taken them out of the box.

Would the SDC have picked it up....very good question, I'll have to try it.

When I tested the GMT with a test bit about the size of a grain of sugar it could see it at about an inch, But when I put the GM II longscan 6x10 (Concentric) coil on it the GMT could see it at 2 to 3 inches, So I would expect the GR would be on fire and with all the Extra features It is way ahead of anything else we have seen and just nicer to use.

Thanks Nenad, It would be great to see how the SDC responds on it, because I have just invented another slot in my kit

Thanks again, john.

Hi John,

I tried that sliver of gold. SDC doesn't see it at all, even rubbing the coil.

I tried the Gold Racer with the Deteknix WireFree kit and it works perfectly. Used about 6 different headphones and no issues.
Actually what I did notice is that there is a tiny amount of boost with the Wireless set-up when on max volume. I didn't believe it at first, but
going back and forth between directly plugging my headphones into the detector, and going through the wireless transmitter, there is a small but noticeable
boost in volume. Maybe 5-10% but it is there and quite obvious if you test a small target at the limit of it's detection range.

No obvious lag, and no degradation in sound quality. Actually, the small amount of boost makes targets a little crisper sounding if anything!

Hope that is of interest.

Cheers, Nenad

Thanks Nenad, that sounds like a Great set up, If you have any of those wireless kits in stock let me know the price and at the end of the month maybe we can sort it out, I don't mind paying the postage because I would rather support the members here so it's not a problem aye .

That's pretty impressive to say the SDC couldn't see that bit, surely that has to be a First, Well done,

damn I been up all night and its nearly 6 am, so I will catch ya in a little bit.

take care and thanks again great stuff,,, John

The Gold Racer with the GR19 7.5x4" elliptical coil takes it to a whole new level. The unit is lighter, ridiculously well balanced, the coil's thinner profile lets you get under sticks and brush, and when you are recovering targets, picking the detector up and using it like a pin-pointer is too easy.

1464141472_gr19_small.jpg

The snappiness of the target response is also improved over the stock coil, which makes ground noise hot spots a little easier to identify with their broader fluffy response.

Hi all, my Gold Racer arrived last week, and due to inclement weather I haven't been able to get out to the goldfields. Anyway I've managed to snaffle a day off so it's off I go today.
I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about this as I've been down the VLF road before, I had a numerous VLFs in the early days and never really did any good with any of them. I didn't find gold until I bought my first Minelab PI, and today I'm PI less?
Anyway I've packed my lucky jocks and shoes and I must say I am feeling exited but not that confident.

I'll keep you posted on my day gold or no gold.

Jim

Jim. said:
Hi all, my Gold Racer arrived last week, and due to inclement weather I haven't been able to get out to the goldfields. Anyway I've managed to snaffle a day off so it's off I go today.
I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about this as I've been down the VLF road before, I had a numerous VLFs in the early days and never really did any good with any of them. I didn't find gold until I bought my first Minelab PI, and today I'm PI less?
Anyway I've packed my lucky jocks and shoes and I must say I am feeling exited but not that confident.

I'll keep you posted on my day gold or no gold.

Jim

Good luck!

Good Luck Jim!
Cant wait to hear how you go.
I've been saving for a detector for a while and researching the different low end detectors. The GR has been on my radar for some time but I'm still not sure.

Hope you find the yellow mate. I haven't had much time on my Gold Racer but it'll outdo the GPX on fine gold from my comparison tests so I'm confident I'll get some yellow when I have a chance to put in some time.

Hi all, I spent a couple of solid hours on the Gold Racer today at one of my old haunts. I went to a spot that I'm familiar with knowing who and what has been over that ground.

I only ran in all metal ground balancing as required. I'm pleased to say the GR ran well with a steady threshold, it's lightweight and well balanced a pleasure to use. Next time I'll try the big coil to see how it goes.

I came home with an assortment of junk and a tiny specie that I need to break open?

Jim & Kerrie

Been using my Racer around Dunolly in Vic but still having problems with how I am using it. In all metals I keep getting readings and signals in the 95 to 99 range. Rake the area with my foot and the signal generally breaks up but most of the ground seems to give these signals so I am waiting a lot of time checking them out, mostly for nothing.
Got some small lead shot and left one whole flattened one and cut it in half and another into quarters as test pieces. In all metal mode they read up to a few inches in the ground.
Also tried running in Disc 1 mode. That eliminated the 99 type signals but could not pick up the smaller quarter flattened lead. I have read the manual and watched the videos but still can't work it out.
Three questions:-
How do I overcome this?
Why don't most the people use the auto ground balance feature, does it affect results
Where is the sweet spot on the coil?Anydvice would be most welcome.

Try running the ISAT on 6 in AM mode.....lower the gain, the unit is a very high powered VLF and running lower gains should help tame that ground....check to make sure your not in BOOST mode.
The coil is DD ..the sweet spot is strait down the center of the coil where the two Ds overlap.....if by chance your running the 10x5" elip concentric coil...swap it out for the DD...the concentric is no good on that ground. Better suited to the more junk filled areas with less mineralization.
You have the ability to manual tune the unit...dont rely on the auto tune in that type of ground, that way you can adjust for more sensitivity.

There are some places a VLF just simply wont work...no matter the make or model.

The 99 numbers are most likely ground or hot rocks. You can do a few things:

1. Just ignore them
2. Use Tracking, and they should track out after a few sweeps
3. Use Disc 1 mode, and know you may have lost a smidge of sensitivity
4. Just listen to the Audio. Most 99 numbers are just random, and not very repeatable. You want to listen for the nice Zip Zip type sound. "zupBOOM" type signals are just hotrocks.
5. If in doubt, scrape the ground clutter and recheck.

Thanks guys for the advice, will try it out this weekend. PhaseTech thanks for your time today and looking forward to receiving the GR19 coil.

PhaseTech said:
The 99 numbers are most likely ground or hot rocks. You can do a few things:

1. Just ignore them
2. Use Tracking, and they should track out after a few sweeps
3. Use Disc 1 mode, and know you may have lost a smidge of sensitivity
4. Just listen to the Audio. Most 99 numbers are just random, and not very repeatable. You want to listen for the nice Zip Zip type sound. "zupBOOM" type signals are just hotrocks.
5. If in doubt, scrape the ground clutter and recheck.

After my first use of the gold racer, 99 seems to be hot rocks exclusively. Very small lead showed as varying from 20 to 80 with alternating swings over the target.

Latest posts