Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit to my post:
1. I meant the handle's NOT a genuine Minelab handle.
2. I was also referring to "counterfeit detection web posts" not "counterfeit detection sites".
My bad.

mbasko said:
Where are these counterfeit detection websites? It would be good to have link/s here for members. If they don't mention the font issue then they've dropped the ball - most I see have not only the incorrect font but can also contain spelling mistakes on labelling. That has been a constant with them for years & I still see it now.

Detail of control panels from Gold City Detecting "Counterfeit GPX" webpage - fake has Auto Tune area incorrectly copied:
1463288196_gpx_fakes.jpg

Detail of control panel from Gumtree advert - Auto Tune area is a closer copy of the genuine GPX, but labelling is misspelled as "Auto Tone"!:
1463288196_gpx_fakes2.jpg

BigWave said:
Minelab are regularly warning of fakes on-line. Here's one of their latest:
www.minelab.com/customer-care/stop-counterfeits/counterfeit-update
That's from 2013 & apart from their website I've never seen any other warnings from Minelab - only dealers or concerned end users :D

markgoldhunter said:
does anyone inform minelab about these fakes, and if so what is their response.
The only time they have asked me for further info was the GPX4500 I talked about in an earlier post above. They were interested in getting more details as their records showed it (the serial number) being on a machine sold at a completely different time & place than what the seller was saying. May have been a first for duplicate serial numbers showing up? I never heard back what they did about it?
They must follow them up to some extent:
Minelab said:
Large scale Police raid shuts down factory fabricating counterfeit Minelab gold detection products

In a major Dubai police operation led by 1st Lieutenant Khalid Abdulla Quraiban Al-Muhairi, counterfeit Minelab product with a potential market value of AED5.9million (US$1.6m) was seized from an apartment complex operating as a makeshift factory.

The raid revealed that counterfeit parts were assembled and packed at the apartment complex before being sold in the open market as premium Minelab GPX Series gold detectors. Those arrested at the scene and in the aftermath of the raid are now awaiting prosecution by the UAE authorities.

The Genuine Minelab; Genuine Performance; Stop Counterfeits campaign is committed to protecting the interests of customers by safeguarding the authenticity and quality of Minelab products and brands.

Speaking from Australia, Minelabs General Manager Peter Charlesworth said:
This raid has come about following an intense period of investigation. Minelab, like many leading worldwide brands has had to develop innovative strategies against counterfeit manufacturers based in China that sell direct to our developing markets and through major hubs such as Dubai.

It's Groundhog Day on eBay, with a fake GPX5000 on offer once again:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPX-5000...393860?hash=item2a6a7fe844:g:pTgAAOSwQaJXTT4V
This is the same seller using the same pics as last time ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPX-5000...827654?hash=item2a6936d546:g:pTgAAOSwQaJXTT4V ). Personally, I'm always suspicious of sellers like this, who list their eBay items as Private sales, so you can't see any info about other bidders or the seller's history of items sold.
CAUTION: Do not bid on this obvious counterfeit detector.

For further info on Chinese fake GPXs, see sticky PA post How to spot a fake GPX5000: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5333

It's hard to tell just from pictures, font "GPX 5000" on the unit looks a bit different, otherwise looks like really good copy

Latest posts