Post pics of your dopping setups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just watched a clip on you tube,which now I will try to set up a system similar too,
Hot water under a plate to pre heat stones.
Burner under a jar of wax,to heat wax.
Container of water to pre cool fingers.
This video certainly makes dopping look easy.
Pictures or thoughts of what cutters are thinking.
Thanks

1462436118_dop.jpg

Self explanatory. I hope - dops, transfer block, blu tac, super glue, rock.

Pro's and con's over wax are very similar:

Pro's - Doesn't move like wax, faster than wax (with accelerator),
Con's - Can't be moved unlike wax, slower than wax (without accelerator)

At the moment i am using a similar setup to Mr Magoo, though since i have started using aluminium dops i have started using epoxy over superglue, as i had a couple of stones pop off with the super glue.

got yourself a real Frankenstein dop rig there AR :cool: looks like it would work as an emergency leg splint and be helpful for a doing a bit of casual brain surgery in the basement of those thundery nights

Mr Magoo said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3008/1462436118_dop.jpg

What's the accelerator Mr Magoo? And how do you remove it when done?

I find epoxy stronger and more reliable than wax but the wax is so much faster. I'd like something that is ready to go in minutes like wax but is as strong as epoxy and easy to remove. I tried superglue once but found it difficult to remove, even by soaking in acetone.

Lefty said:
Mr Magoo said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3008/1462436118_dop.jpg

What's the accelerator Mr Magoo? And how do you remove it when done?

I find epoxy stronger and more reliable than wax but the wax is so much faster. I'd like something that is ready to go in minutes like wax but is as strong as epoxy and easy to remove. I tried superglue once but found it difficult to remove, even by soaking in acetone.

The accelerators are available on line. Here's a good link on how super glue works http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/10/stuff_eng_tech_ca_glue.htm
You have to remember, generally, the faster the reaction the weaker the bond though. But some are using the baking soda trick successfully.
I personally don't use accelerator as speed is not my priority at the moment. I have a couple of kids that take up more time than curing super glue. I grind a flat on the stone so the super glue is not filling any voids(I read somewhere the other day that super glue will bond better on a smooth unroughened surface's. :rolleyes: ). Superglue is not good with voids as sometimes the setting glue can stop the moisture that's travelling through the glue that's necessary to keep the reaction going, so you end up with areas of un-reacted glue. Thin layers are best. I hold them apart for for about 45 seconds while breathing on them to make sure moisture is reaching the glue. But it can still take considerable time for it to set, and the air here is usually about 70% + humidity(but I am suspecting a brand thing).

I then transfer to epoxy JB quik. Putting the smallest dab of what ever on the culet to make sure the epoxy releases the culet along with the rest of the art work. One of my kids is still in nappies so baby butt cream is the handy 'what ever' for me.

Release super glue dop with blow torch and continue on.

Once the crown is cut, blow torch out again. No point stuffing around with little flames. A quick blast of heat into the glue before it travels into the stone is better. Note: I have not worked with heat sensitive stones.
Any remaining glue can be picked off, dumped in acetone or diggers paint stripper - very similar to 'attack' the glue remover.

I'm surprised you found the super glue hard to remove but as with everything in faceting, what works with one often does not work with another.

Not saying the way I do it is the best way but it's what works best for me. If time was not on my side I would probably use the epoxy less and may be even wax :eek: . I like super glue - it's just quick, convenient and simple.

Wally69 said:
got yourself a real Frankenstein dop rig there AR :cool: looks like it would work as an emergency leg splint and be helpful for a doing a bit of casual brain surgery in the basement of those thundery nights
The faceting machine is made the same way.. :| this guy had a fascination of putting allen keys where simple thumb screws could be used...

It's a Toolmaker thing. And most engineering workshops have them on hand. if you want thumb screws you can buy an insert for the socket head capscrew that turns them into a thumbscrew. Ken.

Latest posts