Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey welcome aboard to PA Versus80.

Luckily :p someone has already done the hard yards for us

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15568

Probly almost all the info you could find on the minelab xterra series of detectors including the 705.

If you have any other questions, dont be shy, lots of members here that are more then happy to help :D

M3

Edit: good to see another Queenslander amongst us :D

Hi everyone. Was wandering. Has anyone on here foung gold nuggets with one of these machines? Am planning on getting one to use in sa

Hey all. I just purchased a second hand 705 dual pack next to new condition and looking forward to getting out this weekend and doing some coin hunting around the Canberra area.
Would be great to hear any tips or advise while using it :) Cheers

Hi Full,
I also have a 705 and find it an awesome machine.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15178

Here is a link to some very helpful TID numbers for the 705. I prefer the concentric coil myself when in parks etc as I find the pinpointing to be a lot more accurate, which is handy if you need to keep your holes small. I also like to run in all metal, but if you're just starting out, the default discrimination patterns are quite good.

Hi Dan. Second time im trying to re post this as I press post reply not submit lol anyway

I ended getting out last weekend to a local school to give it a shot, thank you for the link. I also found a link that explains how to ground balance and sound cancellation.
I went to a local school and found a few Can tabs, bottle caps and 1c,2c,5c and a penny.

I was using just coin mode and defult discriminations and once picking something up I changed to pinpoint mode. earphones too. I am hoping to get out Monday and Tuesday and with a bit more practice and good weather can get a bit more used to it and also change the settings around so im not picking up any can tops.

Hi all, well we have an X Terra 705 gold pack being shipped to us today, first detector for us.
Keen on having a play, just wondered do you guys who have one bother using headphones with this unit or not?

We ummed and Ahhed for a while, but decided to start with a VLF unit (plus the mrs likes the idea of relics and coins) to check for small shallow alluvial gold, and hopefully down the track get a PI unit, maybe a second hand SD2200 or similar for the deeper stuff.

I will probably get the 15" WOT coil for the 705 too, for extra depth, remember reading a post about it being a great combination.

Will keep you updated of any success.......

Cheers

Headphones are a personal choice, you do hear the softer audio better with them on for sure, but a screamer signal is still a screamer signal.

I tend to use them when there are other people around, but when I am out in the scrub I just let the speaker handle the audio and its a lot cooler without headphones.

You will love the 15" WOT coil, I ended up with 2 for my 705, get the 18.75khz if your gold hunting or the 7.5khz for coins etc. Can be heavy to swing is the only downside.

Best of luck in your hunting and welcome to our addiction.

Clegy

Thanks clegy, I thought the 7.5kHz coil would be the better choice for gold down deep? And the 18.75 for the coins?
The lower frequency I thought would give the deeper or better ground penetration?
Anyone else with the Xterra using these coils? Would be keen to hear others thoughts as I am new to all this and still learning. I thought I remembered reading an old post from Argyle a while ago relating to the external and the lower frequency WOT coil being great for the deeper gold.

Cheers,
Elusive

Hi mate with the 7.5 coil you wont pickup tiny gold only big stuff... and we all know thats hard to find.You will be much better off using the 18.75 as at best you will pick up .40 gram down to about 2 to 3 inch in mild soil.7.5 more for finding deep coins and better I.D.Good luck.

Welcome to the forum and the Hobby Mate,
The 705 is a good machine (I started with one and near cried when I sold it).
I see by your finds listed in another post you are doing pretty well.

My advice is to do exactly what you are doing as your digging some nice treasure.
Enjoy and if your Up CQ way drop me a line for a hunt.

Happy hunting!

Hi Guys n Gals,

Im pretty new to metal detecting been doing it only a couple of months. Loving it :). However, while out today I put my detector down to dig a target and when I picked it up again it didn't seem to be making any noise. I turned it off and back on again and it came up with the CU which I have googled and it says that the coil is unplugged. Well it isn't, I have tried changing batteries, done a factory reset and done the holding + and - key while turning it on to do a diagnostic and sync the coil. Nothing seems to be wrong. I have unplugged it unravelled the coil put it all back together again and nothing still getting CU. Is there anything else I can try that I don't know about. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you

From memory????..it means there is a wire off the plug in the back of the detector...or the coil just died...iv done a few plug repairs to out of warranty units.

Latest posts