GPX handle problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Due to being on good gold last weekend I didn't even look at it and just figured it had come a little loose as it did move under pressure. I've since realized that the handle clamp was actually broken (previous owner) not allowing the clamp to fastem and do its job properly. Bit of superglue did the trick. Thanks again fellas.

Unfortunately, just by chance, I got most of the gold last weekend. Only got another 7 bits for a gram and a half roughly.
Still a very enjoyable day with 2 good friends.
Gave a few bits from the patch to one of my mates who bought his SDC for my other mate to have a go of. Within 5 minutes he got his first ever nugget on the patch. When your getting a bit, its really rewarding to share it around and then everyone gets to grow their collection.
Total tally for this patch was just over quarter of an ounce.
Cheers

Congrats on the Gold Walshie, shame about the handle, never mind you can sort that when you get home,

take care and be lucky,, john

Just got my handle replacement delivered.
I've ordered one without a quick-track button for 32$ as the one including the button was 128$.Who needs it with the button? What usually brakes is the plastic handle, right?!
What I didn't know the one I've just got is not for GPX but for older GP detectors (no hole for the groundbalance button).My mistake as I ordered online and didn't study carefully description neither a picture. :(
Now have to try modifie this one to fit the button. Question is, had anyone tried to do the same thing before? Any success, suggestions?

If the detector is still under warranty then Minelab will replace the handle. Mine broke and i welded it together with a soldering iron and then put some epoxy glue in the grooves. Solid as rock, used it for a while until the next time i was heading to Minersden and had it replaced. Ive heard of a few people that just use the cheaper handle and drill a hole to fit the button.

I have drilled a handle for a GP EXTREME to convert it to a detector with a tracking button. Put a few drops of dish washing liquid under the rubber hand grip it makes it easer to remove it ,make sure to put a pilot hole in first regards john :)

Go to Coiltek,they will sell you a "S"bend with provision for the button to be pushed into the hole.The wire is run in the tube and comes out at the box.
Price is under $100

nICkiJvl.jpg

Regards Frank

old hand said:
I have drilled a handle for a GP EXTREME to convert it to a detector with a tracking button. Put a few drops of dish washing liquid under the rubber hand grip it makes it easer to remove it ,make sure to put a pilot hole in first regards john :)
Hey guys thanks for replies. I've done the same thing, drilled a hole.It's just a little bit longer but believe or not the new handle came with few cracks in it already. Unbelievable.Material, construction,Minelab technicians didn't do good job here.Unfortunately the derector is just out of warranty.And not sending 30$ handle back to seller neither. Screw it. Will probably go for the "S" shaft or stronger handle from ebay.Will see how long this one is gonna last before breaks :(
1474454523_20160921_185549-1.jpg
1474454849_20160921_184804-2.jpg

Drilled in hand mate no vice used.It was there when I removed it from an envelope already.Don't think it happened during shipping neither.

That's the same place mine broke. Put the soldering iron on the crack and melted the plastic together then filled the whole area (grooves) with an epoxy resin. Read that epoxy was the best glue as some of the others don't bond that well and come off.

old hand said:
Where the cracks are fill the area with 5 minute araldite regards john :)
Hi John!
Might give it a try.Got the stronger 150kg Araldite at Bunnings. 5minute one is only 75kg.
But to be honest, I don't trust glues much, but worth of try.
Might try fix original one too...
1474519906_20160922_085913.jpg

The original one you might get some thin black plastic tube as used on garden drip feed 19 mm may fit place it in a bucket of hot water and slide it on the broken part of handle,i would try and drill both parts and put a plastic pin for strength and cover with glue. Araldite work well I have repaired many lower shafts that brake where the plastic joins the tube,araldited a new lower part then slide about 150 mm of 19 mm tube over the joint problem fixed for life regards john :)

I would put the $32 expenditure down to experience, you've already spent money on glue now too. Go for the one with the button, even though it is more expensive. As a wise man once said to me "the cost is soon forgotten". Indeed it is if you get the result you are after. BUT if you get it all sorted for less, well done :cool:

Goldfield Joe said:
I would put the $32 expenditure down to experience, you've already spent money on glue now too. Go for the one with the button, even though it is more expensive. As a wise man once said to me "the cost is soon forgotten". Indeed it is if you get the result you are after. BUT if you get it all sorted for less, well done :cool:
Understand what you saying.I have no problem to spend 130$ for replacement. But I don't want to be replacing every few months and unpredictably in the middle of nowhere while detecting and loosing time by waiting for new one.Or should I get a couple of them to be safe?! :rolleyes:
Rather looking for a lifetime solution.
I guess they are good for girls but for rough men swinging big coils and not just few times a year on weekends those handles are simply not strong enough. I'm not the only one having problem with.
I'd expect this sort of quality from an Aldi detector, but when you spend thousands of $$$ .....

Luke said:
I guess they are good for girls but for rough men swinging big coils
:rolleyes: yeah right.
They do break but it seems to be a minority that have trouble not the majoriry. More to do with overtightening on the shaft, incorrect technique or set up for large coils IMO.
Having an "S" shaft in your kit is probably the best insurance if it does happen to break out in the middle of nowhere. That's what I had plus a modified $32 handle but never needed either. I must be a girl :lol:
Not everyone will like the feel of using an "S" shaft on the GPX though so for many it will only be a short term, emergency solution. The straight shaft is a better feel & balance - to me anyway.

Luke, The "s" bend The Digger posted is comfortable and you won't break it. Also when using the original Minelab handle make sure the bungy is supporting all the weight and your hand is onlyy steering the coil. ie: You are not lifting all the weight with the handle.