Simoco UW Band DMR Digital & Analogue 80 Channel CB

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been offered a Simoco ex mines radio as above and thinking of using it in my 4WD , they are rated at up to 25 watts which is apparently illegal in the city but for emergency use outback it might be nice to have and i can switch it down to 3 / 5 watts for city use.

Any radio experts here got opinions about them or is there better products for doing the same thing ?

HeadsUp said:
I have been offered a Simoco ex mines radio as above and thinking of using it in my 4WD , they are rated at up to 25 watts which is apparently illegal in the city but for emergency use outback it might be nice to have and i can switch it down to 3 / 5 watts for city use.

Any radio experts here got opinions about them or is there better products for doing the same thing ?

I just googled them and they look like a solid concern - the mines wouldn't be using crap i would think. You will already know this, but for others reading this be aware that UHF is line of sight comms and no matter whether 5 or 25W TX power you can only transmit as far as you can see and yes thats to the horizon in the outback but is there anyone to hear you. HF Radio (Flying Doctor radio) or a Satphone are the go for emergency comms out there......

Icom 400 Pro......................fully programmable up to 25 watt has a heat sink on them like a train line. You can load them up with no fear of overheat. Fully programmable via cable and software also even to the start up message. Can up the wattage on different channels if need be. Have travelled several times up to the cape with a few vehicles and a mate who also had an icom and we certainly had coms between us that the others could not pick up.
It's basically a commercial quality radio tough as usually around the $400 mark.
Illegal or not as said in an emergency situation probably more chance of getting it out there.

Wouldn't let me edit above ....................... should read they could hear us but we could receive no transmissions from them. Also spoke with Helimed chopper crew in Vic and they informed me that there are black spots in many locations also with sat phones even in the air so i guess it doesn't pay to rely on any one form of coms in remote areas

Latest posts