Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hot off the press, no price but looks good.

1461228632_optimized-img_20160421_184553.jpg

Gday got a couple things here and will keep it as short as possible. Firstly I tracked out a nugget whilst doing some tests with gpz vs SDC vs gpx 5k. For the 5 I used the 14 elite and old 14 in Coiltek mono.
I have tested this all out before last year and my results showed me the zed was superior in tests.
The other day I videoed the same tests on an undug gold target. I saw zed track a target out in auto GB for first time. But the big thing I found was that the gpx 5 beat zed easily and particularly when coupled to the old style coil.

The difference between tests I have done was the recent test was in damp or actually best described as wet ground. From what I have seen recently is that Zed is severely impeded by wet ground. A bit like the salt ground.

The 5k I managed to get a better target response running it in enhance with gain varied between 13-20 then with doing all I could with Zed. Although this was a one off test I could see quite a difference.

In fact the target which was a 0.5 gram bit was at a depth of at most 6 inches. In dry ground I would ping that much deeper. I honestly think that wet ground makes Zed perform poorly.
I hope I'm wrong but I tell you one thing I was very shocked. Still am.

If I were you guys I'd start testing things out.
On another note I believe that the old 14 in coil on the 5 out performed the 14 elite as well in the wet ground as in the target response but not by any significant margin, it was just.?????
I took about 8 short videos which I put on my Facebook. If I can I'll try put em up at some point but its a prick to do out bush with faint reception. Has anyone experienced this?

no experience with that set up.

But I have found that Wet or Dry often give different outcomes; same as with the ground conditions and mineralisation.

I have seen performance in wet at one place that was great, yet same setting and wet at another location ( no moisture meter to give exact readings) give what seemed to be much worse than at the previous place...

Had not done either when dry, but all I could think of was that the water and the ground type can generate different conditions...

Too many variables and only the one example for me with one machine (nothing to compare with); so no hard data or facts, other than it confused me at the time.

Try the same thing on a few different sized pieces Jase. I have one bit that performs really crap house on the Zed, but the 5000 romps it in. BUT, with the Zed in Normal, even with very low Sensitivity, it sees it deeper than the GPX. I've also got a flat seemingly conductive bit of gold, that the Zed sees nearly 2 times deeper than the 5000. I'd say the target you used is just an oddity, and may be the reason why it is tracking out so quickly. I've had about 3 nuggets track out so far, 99% of them won't no matter how many times you swing over.

As for the old vs new coils thing, the old coils are not done yet. Wet ground or highly magnetic ground can give you a swamping effect, and the new coils make this worse. The new coils can't be built smaller than an 11" round or 14x9" elliptical, and any bigger than a 15" round the flat winding isn't all that wide so starts to turn into a normal coil. So small 6" monos, 8x6", 8" monos, as well as larger mono's say 20" or 24" ellipticals still have their place. In mid-sized coils, it may be worth hanging on to one traditional wound mono coil like a 15x12" Commander, or 14 or 16" NFA, or even a DD. Have you tried a 15" Detech DD spiral wound coil? Turns a GPX into a poor mans GPZ. Okay...not quite as sensitive to the really small stuff, but very impressive performance. Run it in Tracking and Stabilizer up on 15 and it even starts to sound like a Zed :p

PhaseTech said:
Try the same thing on a few different sized pieces Jase. I have one bit that performs really crap house on the Zed, but the 5000 romps it in. BUT, with the Zed in Normal, even with very low Sensitivity, it sees it deeper than the GPX. I've also got a flat seemingly conductive bit of gold, that the Zed sees nearly 2 times deeper than the 5000. I'd say the target you used is just an oddity, and may be the reason why it is tracking out so quickly. I've had about 3 nuggets track out so far, 99% of them won't no matter how many times you swing over.

As for the old vs new coils thing, the old coils are not done yet. Wet ground or highly magnetic ground can give you a swamping effect, and the new coils make this worse. The new coils can't be built smaller than an 11" round or 14x9" elliptical, and any bigger than a 15" round the flat winding isn't all that wide so starts to turn into a normal coil. So small 6" monos, 8x6", 8" monos, as well as larger mono's say 20" or 24" ellipticals still have their place. In mid-sized coils, it may be worth hanging on to one traditional wound mono coil like a 15x12" Commander, or 14 or 16" NFA, or even a DD. Have you tried a 15" Detech DD spiral wound coil? Turns a GPX into a poor mans GPZ. Okay...not quite as sensitive to the really small stuff, but very impressive performance. Run it in Tracking and Stabilizer up on 15 and it even starts to sound like a Zed :p

I dont really understand about the dd detech?
Are you saying it will achieve more or equal depth to a new mono coil, with the benefit of better stability, or is it stable, less prone to emi, and bad ground and still achieve similar depth to a good mono?

The new Detech DD Spiral coil can run on any timing Dave and not just the smooth class of timings, using a DD will give you quite a few benefits that the Zed has due to running a DD, such as improved EMI rejection, better stability on hot ground, better hotrock rejection in certain timings. You can also use psuedo mono on the DD, that's something a Zed cannot do.

In the video tests I've watched by Stinky Pete the new Detech DD Spiral wound gets targets that are very small like a mono would pick up and gets very good depth also almost like a mono. I keep saying DD's are great coils but no-one wants to believe it, they keep hearintg "DD sux" which simply is not the case, they rock in the right conditions.

G'day Nenad I will endeavour to try the detech coil at some point this year vs zed and other coils on the 5k
At this point it was a one off test on a target and does require more testing, hopefully it was an anomaly but I will know more when I can try it out more thoroughly.
Was just bit strange a dumbed down 5 would beat zed with 5k using two different coils.
One thing is certain, old coils certainly are not dead.

Yeah testing sometimes does your head in. You get some bizarre results at times that leave you scratching your head.
Moisture makes a big difference. A little bit of moisture with a mono coil will give you more depth, but if the ground is too wet will work against you. With a DD coil, most of my deeper finds were always in very wet ground.

One spot that I keep going back to on occasion is just weird. I have only ever found 3 bits there with mono coils. 2 with an 18" minelab mono, and 1 with a 15x12 commander mono. All the rest, about a dozen or so bits up to 5g were all pinged with DD coils. Coincidence maybe? Strange layered ground is more likely. Out if interest, the SDC and GPZ haven't pulled any more from this spot.

One can only ask ....................... are they as good as expected ? Worth the outlay ?
Won't be purchasing until they finalise all regards the 19" coil ;) but to be honest have had very differing opinions from owners at different times . Some say worth it some say not ?
:/

If you know where the deeper gold is there great. I prefer to still use the 5k + 16" for patch finding.

If your hoping the zed will make gold appear everywhere you will be dissapointed. It is definately the best detector around though.

The more I use it the more I like it.
Wasn't sure to start with & thought about trading it on a GPX/SDC package but I won't be doing that now - I'm confident I've got them both reasonably well covered in one package with one coil & being time deficient as it is the one machine much better suits me.
Not sure about this 19" coil though :eek: I've dug some deep holes already with the 14". Might get it but will wait on the reports to come in but if your on a deep patch of gold then..... :p - would like to see a smaller one for the tighter spots around gullies etc. too.
I think the new price of $9499 might still be a bit high for some but it's a lot better value now then when first released. Mine is a used one & I was happy with the remaining warranty + price. It's more up to the individual as to whether it's worth it or not? I'm lucky to live close to a lot of goldfields & can get out at least weekly, even if only for a few hours some weeks, but if I was further away then it might not have been worthwhile?
A lot of bad reports seem to come from diehard SD/GP/GPX users of many years whereas some relatively new users seem to take to it more readily. It is a different beast! I think if your going to go from a GPX to the GPZ then you need to have an open mind, forgot a lot of what youv'e learnt to do with the GPX & give yourself at least 20-30hrs before jumping to any quick conclusions.

Thanks Guys .................. mbasko you do make a valid point regards proximity to gold areas as that not being the case in my situation one does have to look at how much use can I give the 10K outlay. Also have to agree that like any machine a good operator adds heaps to the equation and as I have been told many times (I like gold) if it's not under the coil doesn't matter the machine it's not going to find it.
Pondering still .................. :rolleyes:

Latest posts