Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
What's the main concern with the 3500 to make you want to upgrade? Is it because the 5000 will handle mono coils better?

I hired one and could not believe how
Quiet one was plus the options of running
Mono coils as well.

If you're ever considering using it in the eastern gold fields of W.A. Then the 4500 for sure. I tried a couple of 5000's over there and they seem to be too sensitive to handle the laterites. I know of a few pros over there who got the 5000 when it hit the market and then went back to the 4500. I have one of the last 4500's and it runs so smooth I don't think I'll be parting with it for some time.

The best deals are with the 5000.

There is one on ebay for $5000 with a truck load of
Coils. You can get these for around $4200 with a
Few coils.

I saw a brand new gpx for $4900 only 1 month old.

Buying the right 5000 at around $4000 to $4500
With a few coils and the remainder of warranty
Might be the best way to go.

The 5000 is a nice machine but up until now I had no interest in spending $6000+ on a dedicated gold machine, I have seen them second hand for as low as $3000 iv actually got a mates 5000 at the moment that Id consider buying cheep as he has not used it since I bowered it off him 12months ago I'd like to think it will be for sale for around the $3500, this is what a old GPX is worth that's a bit rough, out of warranty and min assesories' sorry but there's too many on eBay for $4000 that don't sell' blame mineLab for that.

The GPX 5000 is my pick but a good user with an early machine can still make the GPZ look bad.

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

I really apreciatte it.

I was surprised on how many GPX5000 were for sale on Gumtree and ebay.

I saw a legit brand new 5000 for $4900 and another only 3 months old for $4500.

So after a bit of shopping around I bought a GPX5000 and wil take it once I learn
how to use it.

Thanks Again Guys..

Hi PA,

After people's advice and experience upgraing from a GPX4500 > 5000. I am heading to WA [Leonora/Sandstone] for 3 months and I am considering upgrading my detector before I go. What I would like to know is the upgrade really necessary worth the extra $, I have read that the additoin of Fine Gold and the improvements made to the other timings make the world of difference. So what I would like is the no B3LLSH1T version from people who have made the swap and not the Minelab marketing. Or would I be better off just keeping the money in my pocket hit WA with the 4500 and upgrade with any finds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

Mark

Tryhard you could go one way or the other but my advice is not to mod simply because it will be easier to sell the 5000 if you choose to in the future.

Cheers eve

Just re-read your post lol what I would say now is the 5000 is very deadly on sub gram nugs in fine gold it lets in more noise than enhance regardless of being 4500 or a 5000 but it is that extra depth your getting.

Cheers

The 4500 is great value these days, but the 5000 has an edge.

The 5000 runs a little smoother/quieter, so I can have the Target Volume a little higher compared to the 4500 - this makes faint/deep signals a little more obvious.

Fine Gold timing also has a slight edge over Enhance on thin nuggets, nuggets with ironstone, small speccies etc. The difference isn't huge, but it's there.

Audio Type options - I really love Quiet & Boost in the 5000, Boost in particular seems a lot more useable than on the 4500. But Normal on the 4500 sounds a little louder all other settings being equal.

Hi Mick I prefer the 4500 i find it run quieter than a 5000 most 5000 you have to run the audio in quiet to get the detector to run smooth ,with the 4500 the audio can be used in normal .With the new 4500 they are good value for money I have had 5000s and a few 4500 old and new regards john :)

old hand said:
Hi Mick I prefer the 4500 i find it run quieter than a 5000 most 5000 you have to run the audio in quiet to get the detector to run smooth ,with the 4500 the audio can be used in normal .With the new 4500 they are good value for money I have had 5000s and a few 4500 old and new regards john :)
Hi mate my 4500 is one of the new ones and I also think it runs as good as my friends 5000 even he thinks the new 4500 runs really smooth..cheers

Mine is one of the new ones too, but I can only compare it my old mxt and tdi,......there is no comparison on how much better it runs.
however, I like internal batteries over the minelab pack as well as the internal speaker of the tdi. Apart from that, im amazed how smooth the 4500 is.
emi is not really a problem for me. I am getting more interested in the detech coils though, I love the sensitivity of the evo 14 x 9, but it does tend to false when bumped, and I bump it a lot.

davent said:
Mine is one of the new ones too, but I can only compare it my old mxt and tdi,......there is no comparison on how much better it runs.
however, I like internal batteries over the minelab pack as well as the internal speaker of the tdi. Apart from that, im amazed how smooth the 4500 is.
emi is not really a problem for me. I am getting more interested in the detech coils though, I love the sensitivity of the evo 14 x 9, but it does tend to false when bumped, and I bump it a lot.
That's why I havnt bought a new coil yet I know the Coiltek elite can get very moody at times to the point where you can't use it no matter what setting u run but other days it's runs perfectly my friend swears by them I just don't like the fact that sometimes u can use them for some reason. .cheers mate

Dave I have been using a 14X9 EVO and I do not have any false signal when bumped the only thing you may have a few settings to high try this
target limit 18
motion slow or very slow
rx 9
audio boost
stab 9
signal 18
target vol 12
response normal
tracking medium
disc off
with the threshold just on not to high and I use fixed with head phones
with these setting I am very happy with the depth and the sensitivity of the coil it runs smooth just remember to use the ground balance button
regards john :)

pretty much what im doing atm, thanks. I find when the bottom of the coil brushes rocks, or the cable brushes long grass, is when I get false sigsm, and not every time. Thanks for the advice btw, will double check my settings and give them a go. ta.

To me def the 5k.
Actually the 4500 is in the 5k as to all the functions available but the 5 has two more soil timings, one of which is fine gold and is slightly more powerful then enhance which would be used majority of the times on the 45. Well at least here in the west.
The 5 also has a gain increase over the 45. The 5 you can go to 20 where thr 45 is 15 maxed out.
Both detectors you can run as quiet or stable as you like or push the detectors to their limits in a variety of ground.
Both 45 and 5 are awesome. Particularly with the numerous functions available which when used with the variety of coils in all the different ground types you encounter adds up to one thing. GOLD

I was always told the actual gain on both is the same i.e. 15 on the 4500 equals 20 on the 5000 it was just that the 5000 offers finer adjustment through a higher range. Either way the 5000 does have subtle improvements like the extra gain/gain adjustment & timings.
Both great machines & your not going to be missing much with a 4500 for a bit less outlay but given the choice for the same money I'd lean towards the 5000. Those subtle differences + the fine gold timing may just give you the edge & as UTBN says the 5000 has everything else a 4500 has & you can run it like one. I would gladly own either.
Seeing results from blokes I know that have kept the 4500 it doesn't surprise me why they have chosen to keep them when the 5000 came out. No use changing if it's working well for you.

So 4500's seem to be about 1k cheaper than 5000's. s/h
Am thinking to Upgrade for that
Does anyone consider Fine Gold to be actually value for a thousand bucks when used with the Elites and Evo's

Dave

Latest posts